Titanic forum and community
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Popular Song and Dance 1912

This discussion on "Popular Song and Dance 1912" is in the Amusements & Diversions section; Hi Shelley. The Irving Berlin stamp was just issued by the Postal Service. Now I ...

Hi Shelley.

The Irving Berlin stamp was just issued by the Postal Service. Now I can see it nicely displayed by the TITANIC (movie) stamp that was featured in the "Celebrating the 90s" Series.

I also found myself thinking about two other dance tunes:
    1. The Mexican Hat Dance; and
    2. The Bunny Hop.
    What would have been the equivalent pieces in 1912?

John Clifford

The Grizzly Bear and Turkey Trot were ragtime rages- as well as The Lame Duck- no kidding. I believe there were others too-the animal craze. AM marvelling over the news that Berlin wrote 1500 songs in his lifetime- Alexander's Ragtime Band of 1911 being his first megahit. There's a great book which came out in 1997 about his hits from 1907-1914 by Charles Hamm-he had 190 tunes on the chart in that period.

A toast to Gabrielle "Gaby" Deslys- blonde bombshell who introduced the striptease to Paris and was the hottest tamale in London in 1911. She created the french version of the American ragtime with the Gaby Glide and was the reason Charlie Frohman was on the Lusitania in 1915 to see her in "Rosy Rapture". She worked as a French spy during WWI and sadly died of a throat infection much too young in 1920.

Hey all,

Here are some titles for dance songs from "The GEM Dance Folio" published by Shapiro in 1912. They were to accompany two-steps, medley waltzes, polkas, gavottes, and ragtime "barn dances." You will note that some sound pretty steamy for those days. A few are sweet. Others are just plain hilarious:

Let Me Be The First One Dearie
    Big Blonde Baby
    Roo-Ti-Toot (On Your Ragtime Flute)
    Dat Lovin' Touch
    Come Love and Play Peek-a-boo
    Make Me Love You Like I Never Loved Before
    Roll Me Around Like a Hoop, My Dear
    Pollywogg Wiggle
    The Baboon Baby Dance
    I've Got a Ragtime Bee in My Bonnet
    Somehow, Sometime, Someplace
    Every Moment You're Lonesome, I'm Lonesome, Too
    When a Girl Whose Heart is Breaking Loves a Boy Who Does Not Care
    If All the Girls in All This World Were Just as Nice as You
    The Turkey Gobbler's Ball
    A Liitle Bit of Irish

There are many more but these were the most interesting titles. I think they sum up well the charm and naivete of the pre-WWI years.

Hello, all.

This has probably been covered elsewhere, but was there any dancing on the "Titanic"? I have always thought not, but after reading the above posts (very informative!)began to wonder again.

Thanks,
    Doug

Randy - "The Baboon Baby Dance" - is that the one Behe was doing when I met him in S. Carolina? Or were his pants too tight?

Geoff

Hallo Sir Geoffrey,

I think that old George was attempting the "Pollywogg Wiggle." I have recently found that I'm actually quite proficient at the "Roll Me Around Like a Hoop, My Dear." And don't you do a mean rendition of "Come Love and Play Peek-a-boo?" So who is it that does the "Baboon Baby Dance?" Hmmm...I've got it! It's Phil G! In fact I hear he's going to demonstrate his best moves very soon!

Randy

PS) For shame! You know George looks just fine in those tight pants

George Behe
    I just can't breathe. . . :-)

Jazz was coming into its own in 1912, sme for blues, and some of the earliest blues recordings are from around this time..many of the old blues artists were so reluctant to be recorded.

Im rather keen on the 1910 hit "Come Josephine In My Flying Machine". I seem to recall a mighty mouse cartoon, or which ever one has the 'follow the bouncing ball' segment, and id find myself singing to the Josephine song, or the song that went,
    M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-i, it used to be so hard to spell it used to make me cry".

of course in 1912 Irving Berlin was the craze..with Alexanders Ragtime Band..

Tarn stephanos

Patricia Bowman Rogers Winship
    In the midst of reading shelves in the Newark Public Library's music reference collection, I saw a 1911 dance music folio. None of the titles were familiar. I'll get it out tomorrow and post a list of them.

Pat W.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast