Titanic forum and community

Matt's Britannic Model

This discussion on "Matt's Britannic Model" is in the Britannic section; Well, this was my first and only attempt at a model of Britannic. I know ...

Well, this was my first and only attempt at a model of Britannic. I know it's not great, but back when I built it I didn't have very many resources besides some black and white images. I wish I had known about TRMA before starting. The models there really put this one to shame. But what can I say? I'm a novice modeler. I had a great time doing it though, even if I did slice my finger open about 3 times making the parts for the conversion. Hope you enjoy!

Matt.

Last but not least...

View Image

Not having any very good quality images of Britannic at the time I built this, I had to take some liberties. I'm very aware that some stairwells are not in the correct spots and the colors are somewhat off. My next model (whenever I get time to build another one) will feature a number of corrections.

>> I know it's not great,<<

Don't sell yourself short. While it's obviously not a museum quality piece, it's still well done. The streaks of rust on the side are also a nice touch since the paint jobs on real ships just don't stay pristine for very long.

Keep it up!

Thank you, Mike.

I have future plans for a better model. For a while there I completely gave up on my Titanic modeling because of various personal reasons (anger management, or lack thereof being the major problem).

I'm picking up the pieces now and am drawing out plans for a much better Britannic. Keep in mind that when I first created this model I had no conversion sets available and I had no idea of the Titanic Modeling and Research website. With that asset, I should be able to creat something much more historically accurate in the future.

Thank you though very much for your compliments. They mean a lot.

I'll leave it to your good offices on how best to make your next model, but you might want to look into the possibility of airbrushing for painting some large surfaces. Any decent hobby shop should be able to tell you what you need and how best to use it.

[Moderator's note: This post and the seven other ones above it, were posted in a separate thread, but have been moved to here. JDT]

I've heard that airbrushing is a major plus in model building, especially these. I think I will do that this next time around.

Unfortunately, the only hobby store around these parts is Hobby Lobby, and I've noticed that most of the employees there know about as much about model building as I know about rocket science.

Thank God for these Titanic boards where some competent help and advice can be found!

Sounds like you need to hook up with TRMA then. Not only are they among some of the top techies in the Titanic community, they're damned fine model builders as well.

Sorry to hear about Hobby Lobby being so dirt poor in that regard. They really need to train their people better.

You have nothing to be ashamed of.

Very nice, and Good Job.

Very nice Matt!!!

Thank you all very much. I really enjoyed working on it and plan to either build on and improve it, or use parts of it for "scrap" for the next model.

I don't know if my next will be Olympic or Britannic. Olympic I figured out w/o conversion sets and was able to make it almost perfect, until someone actaully sat on it. Believe it or not, Matt's Olympic was destroyed by a sudden impact with 200lbs.

So, both are in the works. Money is the major issue right now, as I have to rebuild my modeling equipment. One thing I'm definitely going to need on my next Britannic, more lifeboats. I ran out where they shorten on the model. Stuff happens. The gantry davits are going to be redone unless I can add enough details to these. Doubt that one though.

Thank you guys for your advice, comments, and compliments! They're truly appreciated. Anything else that you suggest would be appreciated.

Well, it will probably be a while before I have a chance to build another Britannic. My Titanic model met it's doom last night when I, in my idiocy, set it on a tall shelf and one of the stand braces failed and it came falling to the wood floor damaging it beyond repair. That's 2 models of mine that have met with disaster. I had a truly wonderful Olympic model near in completion when my elbow accidently knocked it off of the desk and it landed funnels first, snapping the strings, smashing A Deck, and completely destroying the masts.

I'm beginning to think I'm cursed in model building. The only model that remains now is my Britannic (God help it). LOL

Brian R Peterson
    Hi Matthew,

You're doing better than me, I bought three 1:350 Titanic models with the intent of making the Olympic Class, however all three are still in thier shrink wrapping, with the upgrade kits for Titanic and the kits to make Olympic and Britannic taped on top.....

Best Regards,

Brian

Don't feel bad about busting up a Titanic model. I built the large paper model of the Titanic that came as a book and had it almost finished on the day that Dr. Ballard found the Titanic. I appeared with it on our local television station, and finally got it finished. On the way into the Imax theatre in Branson to have a press conference with Ralph White at the premiere of "Titanica" I tripped on the curb and fell on it full force with my knee. I managed to pop it back into shape and mend it pretty well, but it sits in Tim Trower's print shop with some dented "hull plates"!. My son Robert Jr. who is now in the Army accidentally threw his school backpack on my sinking model and half hull model made from another book! Robert H. Gibbons

mark garfien
    Wow thats a really good model.

LOL Thanks guys. The things we go through for our Titanic. lol

This really will be my third Titanic model to meet a premature death, but I look at as each time I build one, it turns out better than the last because I gain the experience. This next time will be airbrush, as Mike suggested earlier. I had never though of taking that approach, but the fellas over at TRMA highly recommend it also, so that's what I'll be doing.

It's sort of ironic. I've had the 3 sisters almost 100% complete, 2 of which met with disaster and the only one left standing in this case is my Britannic, which will be on it's way to the "scrapyard" once I get enough money saved up to rebuild it and it's predecessors.

I'm really hacked at myself for one thing though. I got mad after my Titanic fell and instead of salvaging parts i.e. lifeboats, davits, railings, etc for my next Britannic, in a moment of sheer anger I threw the entire thing in the trash. It wasn't until the next morning (and after the trash collectors had come around my block) that I realized what I had lost. UGH!!!

I've always known I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but come on! LOL Anybody would know to salvage what they can from a broken model. Saves a lot of money on down the road. I do hope that future Olympic-Class modelers will learn from my mistakes though.

Always, ALWAYS, salvage what you can. Even if you're angry, frustrated, and feel like tossing the entire project in the junk pile, save what you can because you'll be greatful that you did later on when/if you decide to rebuild.