Titanic forum and community
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Captain Smith's Family

This discussion on "Captain Smith's Family" is in the Captain Edward John Smith section; Has anyone ever traced the family history of the wife of Capt Edward Smith? She ...

Has anyone ever traced the family history of the wife of Capt Edward Smith? She was a cousin of my grandfather (he told me) but I have never been able to establish the link.

[Moderator's note: This post, posted in another topic outside of this one, has been moved to here which is discussing the same subject. JDT]

I have her parents as William and Sarah Pennington born in Newton in Makerfield, Lancashire. Siblings - Mary, John and Martha.

The marriage cert of Edward John Smith and Sarah Eleanor Pennington is dated January 13th 1887. He is shown as a Master Mariner aged 37 and she a spinster of 26. Her father, William, was a deceased farmer. What ship was EJS on in 1887?
    The witnesses were Thomas Jones, Joseph Hancock,
    John William Pennington, Mary Anne Pennington and Mary ? ?
    I know about the siblings of Sarah Eleanor and most of their descendants and have gone back to her grandfather but wondered if anyone had worked on a complete tree that I could tie in with my own?
    My grandfather had on a wall a framed case of butterflies and which I inherited on his death. I gave it away to a natural history society but they no longer know where it is! My grandfather told me he had been given it by his cousin the captain of the Titanic. Anybody know if EJS was a collector ?
    Incidentally I also have a direct link with the "City of Benares". My other grandfather, John McMillan, was the commodore of the City Line and had her as his last command before retiring about 1938.

Super Moderator
    Hello Peter,

[indent]
    quote:

What ship was EJS on in 1887?
    According to this information, Edward Smith was Captain aboard three WSL ships at that time; Celtic I, Republic I and Britannic I.
    Jason D. Tiller
    "To be happy is to be contented in your own mind"...Harold Godfrey Lowe
    43 44' 01" N, 79 24' 16"W
    Author of an upcoming biography on Arthur G. Peuchen

Hi,
    I am a new member and apparently also a distant cousin of Captain Smith but this has never been validated to my knowledge in my lifetime. The information was passed down from my grandmother & her sister, Eileen & Thelma Smith. Eileen was in school when the teacher informed the class about the Titanic disaster, Eileen put her hand up & said "I am related to the Captain of that ship!" for this outburst she was punished but her father wrote a letter to the teacher saying that this was true and we were related. Apparently, The Western Mail did a story back in the sixties about my family's relation to Captain Smith which did prove a link, I have enquired with the National Library of Wales in regards to accessing the archives from the Western Mail but had not received a response yet.
    It would be great to finally know the truth - family legend or actual link??
    If anyone can help provide any further information I would be very grateful.

Hi Melinda

I've done some research on the Smith cousins - those that were descendants of Captain Smith's Uncle George. You should be able to take your ancestral line back a bit; do you know your gr-grandfather's first name?

Hi Ernie,
    Thanks for replying so quickly!
    My great grandfathers name was Randall Smith, he married Ada Margaret Lewis and they had four children, Clara Eileen, Stella, Thelma & Sidney.
    Hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Melinda

Hi Melinda

Unfortunately, Smith as a surname is a nightmare to research, although the first name of Randall does narrow the field. Without a lot of detail only available to relatives it is difficult to do any useful research and I think the best I can do is give you details of George Smith's male children who would have been first cousins to Captain Smith. This would at least give you names to work back to, although there is always the possibility of more Smith first cousins from possibly different Uncles. Uncle George had three male children, William Edward, born 1857; George born 1864 and John born, 1867. All these children were born at May-Bank, Wolstanton, Staffs. It is just possible that one of these three children might be your ancestor.

Sorry that I cannot help you any further.

Hi Ernie,
    I appreciate the info so thanks very much for that, we've had some trouble tracing back from Randall ourselves but we'll use the names & dates you have provided and if I find anything I will let ET know!
    Melinda

Hi i recently researched my family tree and have got back to the 1851 cencus where Richard Smith 58 is married to Mary Smith 48.
    They have sons and daughters including my great great grandad Henry.

Richard was born in Ranton around 1793 and his wife Mary born in Chebsey.

I read a piece that the Captain of the Titanics grandfather Edward (1775-1838 was married in Ranton to a Elizabeth Tams.

With Ranton just being a small hamlet then maybe the Titanics captains grandfather Edward was a brother of Richard or some relation.

Any help appreciated im so excited.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast