Titanic forum and community
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Survivors News

This discussion on "Survivors News" is in the Dean Family section; News of Titanic survivor Miss Millvina Dean My wife and I visited Millvina and Bruno ...

Survivors News

News of Titanic survivor Miss Millvina Dean

My wife and I visited Millvina and Bruno today (Tuesday 18th October) for morning coffee and we found her to be, mentally as bright as a button, but physically drained.
    She is recovering from another recent fall where she hurt her right hand which is bandaged and strapped up hindering her writing etc. She was on the floor for over an hour before she was able to get help - she told us she passed the time reciting poems!
    While we were there the Postman arrived with yet another large bundle of mainly unwanted mail and she bemoaned the fact that her name had ever appeared on the Internet as there is no way that she can keep up with it - we advised her to dump all the unsolicited mail that she receives.
    She is now showing her years but still enjoys life and we had a lively conversation for a couple of hours.
    She also reported the loss of her address book which she said has simply 'disappeared' - lets hope it turns up soon.
    Millvina sends her regards and best wishes to all her friends and acquaintances.

Best regards - Brian J. Ticehurst Southampton UK

Thanks for the news, about Millvina, Brian.

I do hope that, eventually, people will "get the hint" that Millvina does not need all the unsolicited mails. Perhaps if a multitude of "REFUSED: RETURN TO SENDER" stamps could be made, and applied to the unwanted letters, then the senders would realize that they are wasting their time, and Millvina's with all those letters and mailings.

If I could, I, for one, would volunteer to do a week, or twos, worth of "mail monitoring" for Millvina. Unfortunately it would also be expensive to forward all that mail to Southern California.

I am glad that Millvina is still in good spirits. My best wishes to her and Bruno!!

Brian: Thanks to share this information. From Argentina, the america south, I am thankful and makes arrive my respect at Millvina.
    Mauro!

>>we advised her to dump all the unsolicited mail that she receives.<<

Sounds like a good idea there. She has a perfect right to spend her remaining years in peace. Here's hoping her address book turns up soon.

Brian, have you suggested an electronic alarm for Millvina? They can be very valuable to a person who has an accidental fall, while retaining their faculties.

As to the mail, a pox on the senders!
    Dave Gittins
    Titanic: Monument and Warning.
    http://titanicebook.com/Book.html

Super Moderator
    we advised her to dump all the unsolicited mail that she receives.
    That's a good idea. Shame on all those people that bombarded her with the mail. Hopefully, her address book will be found sooner than later.
    Jason D. Tiller
    "To be happy is to be contented in your own mind"...Harold Godfrey Lowe
    43° 44' 01" N, 79° 24' 16"W
    Author of an upcoming biography on Arthur G. Peuchen

Hi Brian,

thanks for the news !

when did she have that accident ? (I was wondering why I had not heard from her from some time ... (we have been corresponding by mail for some time now) ..

By the way, I have searched and found a couple of internet websites in which her address can be found - will obviously not send link to them here - PM if you want more info

Next time you see her, please tell Millvina that Benjamin, from France, sends her his best wishes.

bye,

Benjamin

Benjamin
    I will pass on your wishes to Millvina.

Dave - An alarm has been suggested and is now in 'progress'. The alarm is worn as a pendant to a necklace round her neck and all she has to do is press it and help will be summoned ''Hopefully''.

John - Volunteers have tried to assist with the mail but Millvina is 'to nice' and wont let them just be dumped - hence she just gets more and more - but she is her own woman and we must respect that.
    Cheers Brian

Thanks for the news, again, Brian.

I know Millvina will get through everything, especially with her cheerful personality, and friends such as you and your wife that she can always turn to.

I also hope her address book shows up soon.

Thanks for the best wishes for Millvina, as well.

CHEERS!!!

I'm glad to hear about the alarm. I hope Millvina is not too independent to use it. I've known such a case.
    Dave Gittins

I'm glad to hear about the alarm.
    and I again request Brian to him that makes arrive my greetings at Millvina

> She was on the floor for over an hour before she was able to get help - she told us she passed the time reciting poems! <

She is a resourceful, brave lady. I'd be moaning and crying and generally panicing.

I hope the alarm company gives good service. My landlady had one of those alarms worn around the neck, and when she fell and pressed it the police, the ambulance and the fire dept. came immediately. Really stirred up the neighbourhood. Fortunately she was only badly bruised and was able to get up and unlock the door, or the firefighters would have broken it to get in.
    One problem of the system was that it wasn't a GPS monitor. They would not have found her if she had been out of the house.

I'm sure she appreciates the good wishes sent in the letters, but I am sorry that she's badgered by them.
    Please add my respects to Mauro's and the others.

Brian T has just informed me via his newsletter that he has managed to have Millvina's detail removed from the site that was causing most of the trouble.

Let's hear it for Brian!
    Dave Gittins

[indent]
    quote:

Let's hear it for Brian!
    HIP! HIP! HURRAY!!!!

And for Millvina, "Halleluia!!"

>>Let's hear it for Brian!<<

Amen to that Revern'd Dave! Here's hoping he can nail any remaining websites that still have it up!

Super Moderator
    [indent]
    quote:

Let's hear it for Brian!
    That's great news! Way to go, Brian!
    Jason D. Tiller

Dear members

I've read many of your posted comments regarding Millvina's privacy. I must agree with your concerns to keep her mailing address as secure as possible. During my stay in England, on a business Titanic related trip, I spent 4 days with Millvina at her home with Bruno Nordmanis and could not believe the grief it causes her. We must never forget that Millvina is flesh and blood like the rest of us. Caught up in a world wind of infatuated people hoping to get a piece of her. Between 1999-2001 I was Ms Dean's even co-coordinator and set up an event at the WEM in Edmonton Alberta. There I got to know Ms. Dean and truly came to understand not only her loss via this tragedy, but also her desire to keep it alive. Nevertheless, her age is now taking a toll and I think she deserves to be left alone. Her legacy is anchored! Her work is done! She, along with her family's name will go on. To this Millvina...I salute you. Happy birthday my friend and May God be with you always

Perry/Heidi

Dear All,
    News from Millvina Dean and her companion Bruno.
    They are both well and looking forward to the Christmas festivities. Millvina has received mounds of Christmas cards and has tried to respond to as many as possible - but her address book is still to be found.
    She sends her best wishes to you all and hopes that you have a great time.
    Also
    News of the UK's second survivor Mrs Barbara West - Mrs. West is not at all well but is keeping going and is quite cheerful.
    I have sent a message to her on all our behalf - to enjoy Christmas and to look after herself,

Best wishes

Brian J. Ticehurst

Thanks Brian for the updates on the British survivors. I want to wish not only Millvina and Barbara a Merry Christmas but all of our British friends.

Super Moderator
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for the news on Millvina and Barbara. I hope they have a happy Christmas.

Best wishes,

Jason
    Jason D. Tiller

Brian thanks For the information. From Argentinean them Merry Christmas desire to all in special to Millvian and Barbara. p/d: There is some news of Lillian Asplund?

G'Day Brian, glad to hear that Millvina and Bruno are enjoying the holiday season, and I hope they along with Mrs. West have more to come.

i am also glad to hear that Millvina is enjoying the holiday season.

Somebody has the news of Millvina and Barbara?

Mauro - Good Morning.
    Below is the little newscast I sent out on my News group last week about Millvinia:

News of and from Miss Millvina Dean

Millvina phoned this evening and sounded quite chirpy and happy. She is enjoying life but sadly her health is not all that it should be.

She is now virtually housebound and now cannot even go out for the occasional lunch or dinner.

She said that she keeps being told ‘’that she is going to Halifax next year’’ but this is not so, as she assured us that she will not be able to go ‘’anywhere’’ in the foreseeable future.

Bruno (her constant companion) is also suffering poor health and is now unable to do many of the things he was previously capable of.

Thankfully she seems to have got over the upset caused by the unauthorised Website that was put on the Net without her knowledge or permission.

Lets hope that people now respect her and her age and leave her in dignity.

Regards Brian
    PS Barbara West is still in the Nursing Home in Cornwall under constant care.

Thanks for that information Brian.

I will definitely keep Millvina and Bruno in my thoughts.

Dear Brian: Thank you very much to share this information with all and I trust that hara to arrive from my distant country my respect at dark brown Millvina and Bruno.
    Barbara West in the Nursing Home in Cornwall to under constant care? long ago? it is by his outpost age?

so Barbara is in a nursing home? and no longer at her truro home? how unfortunate dose anyone know the name of this facility and how bad her condition is?
    thanks,
    Grant

João Carlos Pereira Martins
    Although I don't have much contact with you Brian, I thank you too for informing us about this two precious people for us and the Titanic historians and researchers. I hope their health improve!

Super Moderator
    Thanks for the information, Brian. I'll make sure to keep them in my thoughts as well.
    Jason D. Tiller

I'll have to send cards to both Millvina and Bruno; Millvina mentioned how she enjoyed receiving them.
    I'm in Montreal, right now, on vacation/holiday; will send a note later this week.

BTW, Grant, I do have to note that Ms. West has, for the most part, steered clear of publicitiy in regards to the Titanic. Therefore, even if someone knows the name of the facility, it is improper to give that information out. That issue has been discussed several times.
    My advice: please keep Barbara West, Millvina Dean, and her friend Bruno in your prayers.

thanks john they are in my prayers

dose anyone know her companion Brunos last name?

[indent]
    quote:

dose anyone know her companion Brunos last name?
    Grant, this is another privacy area.
    Millvina's friends, including her companion Bruno, deserve some privacy.
    For Bruno, his friendship with Millvina has made him known to some of us, but, like Ms. West and others, he does not need a lot of attention, either. A thought and a prayer for him and Millvina is all they need.

Brian, if there is anything that I left out, please let me know.

im sorry john if i sounded in anyway invasive that was not the intent. how did you come to know Milvina and Bruno?

Hi Grant, or `Bon Jour au Tremblant, Quebec'.

I met Millvina and Bruno at the THS Conventions from 1995 - 1998, then in 2000, as well as on a QE2 Excursion in 1997, and two Heritage Tours.
    I`ve been in touch with them, usually sending cards and letters from when I am on vacation, as well as Holiday cards.
    I admit that I have been fortunate in this regard, as I had hoped to meet other survivors, but that is not to be.

I also respect that visiting Millvina the next time I am in Southampton is now going to be out of the question.

My best wishes for her and Bruno.

Thanks for the updates, Brian.

>>I also respect that visiting Millvina the next time I am in Southampton is now going to be out of the question.<<
    John why will it be out of the question? because of her health?
    Grant

Hi Grant.

Yes, I think that with Millvina's age and health, it is probaby best, in my opinion, that she be given as much privacy as possible.

A quick note to her is probably the best thing, as well as saying "Hello" and "Best Wishes".

If Millvina should feel otherwise, that is her choice and we must respect that.

Now I need to send a postcard to her.

please send her my best wishes.

Dear Sir Brian. Excuse that he bothers it has had the news of Millvina and Barbara. Or if somebody save something likee to be to as much of the health of these two people whom I do not know and I feel so near
    THANKS! and sorry by my inglish.
    My memories for you, Millvina, Bruno and Barbara

Good Morning Mauro,
    Sorry but there is very little news of the people above.
    I did hear that Bruno has hurt his back and is in pain, Millvina is not very mobile at all. They are, unfortunately, still being pestered by people wanting interviews and signatures and such but there is little that anyone can do about that.
    Mrs. Barbara West is still not at all well.
    Sorry its not good news.
    Very best regards

Brian

Good Morning Brian: (In my country it is 07:25 a.m.). Thanks so jentil and to manter itself to us informed to all. If it is possible it sends my respect to Millvina and Bruno. Many garcias again!

Are there any updates or are Bruno, Milvina and Barbara about the same?
    Grant

> > Posted by Grant Woollacott on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 12:39 am: > > Are there any updates or are Bruno, Milvina and Barbara about the > same? > Grant

Grant - Thanks your concern Millvina - there is no change and she is not at all well and more or less immobile. Bruno (her companion) has a very bad back and finds it hard to cope Barbara West is still alive (despite being killed off by the Media again this week) she is not well at all but still with us. May they be left in peace. Cheers Brian

Brian - >>(despite being killed off by the Media again this week) << How so?
    may their health improve.
    Grant

> Grant See The Salvage articles above. The Media (Newspapers) used the same report World-wide and stated that Millvina Dean was the 'last' Titanic survivor thus killing off poor Mrs West. Mind you its nothing new as Millvina has been killed off several times as well - thankfully all false reports. Best regards

Brian

somebody save like finding articles in Internet on Barbarian?
    THANK! Brian for the information

Sad News I am afraid about Miss Millvina Dean. She had another fall earlier this week and damaged her hip and was admitted to hospital. They operated on Wednesday and the latest report is that ‘’she is not very well, but recovering’’. She is in the General Hospital, Southampton.

I am sure that we all wish her a quick recovery and that she is able to go back home soon.

I will pass on any more news as I get it.

Very best regards

Brian J. Ticehurst - Southampton - UK.

Awwwwwwwwww hell!

Of course she has my best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Super Moderator
    I'm sorry to hear this, but Millvina has my best wishes for a fast recovery as well. Thanks for keeping us posted, Brian.
    Jason D. Tiller

Oh gosh. Brian where did you hear about this?
    She has my wishes for a speedy recovery. Good luck Millvina.

Oh God! I wait for the quick recovery of Millvina.
    Thankeo Brian to maintain us to as much

My best wishes to Millvina. I hope she'll recover quickly.

Regards, João

Hello, my name is Catherine. I have never joined in any discussions on this site before, but I have visited regularly. I thought today would be a very good time to sign in. I did hear of Millvina being in the hospital and wanted to express my sincerest "Get Well" wishes for her. This lady and her companion are the kindest and most gracious people I know. I am one of the luckiest individuals to have gotten to meet and know her. I pray for her quick recovery. My heart is with her wishing her peace during her hospital stay and always.

MY PRAYERS are with Millvina; she will be in my thoughts this weekend.

Thank you for letting us know, Brian, even if this is sad news.

Best wishes for her to recover and be home, soon.

Catherine- How did you meet Millvina and Bruno?

John- Did you get my email with the attachment?

For those wondering, Brian Ticehurst is a friend of Millvina. Apart from keeping us informed, he does great work in shielding her from the clowns who thoughtlessly pursue her.
    Dave Gittins

In answer to Grant's question about how I met Millvina > I was given very private information on how to write to her and she wrote back to me. She invited my husband and me to visit her when we arrived in England. The first time was going on four and a half years ago. The last time was in May of 2005. She and Bruno are absolutely the most gracious and hospitable people anyone can imagine. Out of respect and trust, I was expected to never give out that personal information and I haven't.

Monday, 13 November 2006

Update on Miss Millvina Dean

Millvina has damaged the same hip as she did last time and we are told that it is going to be a long and painful recovery.

Naturally she is a little confused at the moment and is ‘’bored’’.

Can you help relieve the boredom a little? Can I ask that you send her a Get Well card or even a post card with a get well message on? I am sure that will give her something to cheer her up a bit.

Can you send them to:

Miss Millvina Dean

C/o F2

Southampton General Hospital

Shirley, Southampton.

Very many thanks

Brian

Sorry little update on the above Millvina is registered at the Hospital under
    ELIZA Dean - but they do know who she is.
    Cheers Brian

Hi Brian,
    Thank you for the news. I pray that she will recover soon.

Thank you Brian i will send her something.

I, too, will send her a get well/best wishes card, as well as a Christmas card.

BTW, what is the postal code for the hospital?
    I'm presuming SO for Southampton, but need the other figures, such as "SO49 3JC".

Yes, I am also presuming that her friends and neighbors will be taking her home mail to her, as well. However, I know its not fair for anyone to have to sort out items to take to her.

Yes what is the postal code?

Southampton General Hospital
    Tremona Road
    Southampton
    Hampshire
    SO16 6YD

>> Shirley, Southampton <<
    What purpose dose Shirley serve?

Paul, thank you for the Hospital link, and the postal code.

[indent]
    quote:

What purpose dose Shirley serve?
    One answer deals with a friend of mine, named Shirley. She manages a hotel near Hyde Park. Both Inger and Jason met her, as well.
    Also, Shirley was my guest at the 2000 THS Convention, so she got to meet Millvina and Bruno.
    Therefore, Shirley will either have to head down to Southampton to see Millvina, or she'll provide rooms for us during our London layovers, on our way down to Southampton.

Actually, I'll ask Shirley to send Millvina a card, too. I'm sure Millvina will enjoy hearing from her.

Shirley is an area in the west of Southampton.
    Dave Gittins

This weekend I will send out a "Get Well"/"Best Wishes" card for Millvina.
    I will also offer a prayer for her.

Sunday, 19 November 2006

Miss Millvina Dean update

Report from friends yesterday who visited her. She is looking very frail and sickly and has developed a bad cough. But mentally she is still as bright as a button and is fully aware of what is happening around her.

Millvina is getting a steady stream of visitors and among yesterdays visitors was Ronald Dean son of Millvinas brother Bertram Vere Dean.

Thank you for the cards that you have sent - it has made a difference and they are now strung up round her bed giving it a festive look.

I will keep you up to date as things progress.

Best regards

Brian J. Ticehurst - from a very frosty and sunny Southampton UK.

Brian: Thanks to maintain to us informed on the health into Millvina. I send a letter this week from my Argentina country, hope that she arrives and they pudan it to give. Sorry by my English

Poor woman. I pray for her and Barbara every day.

Thanks for the information Brian.

I will keep Millvina in my prayers, and will mail her cards to her, first thing tomorrow morning (I know which local Post Offices have early morning letter collections).

thank you very much for the information about Millvina, Brian.

Thanks Brian for the update on Millvina. I have also sent her a get well card. It does make a difference when you know other people care and as nice as Millvina has been, everyone does care about this special lady. Darren from North Carolina

I sent two cards to Millvina this afternoon: a "Get Well Card" and a "Thinking of You" note.

Next week I'll send her a Christmas Card and a calendar (which I know she likes). For her, it's not too early for it, IMHO.

Brian, I will presume that Millvina will likely be in the Hospital at Christmas, so my prayers will definitely go to her that day.

BRIAN: the week happens sends from Argentina, my country, lines written for Millvina. I hope that they arrive and that somebody can read them.

Mauro - Thank you for your letter to Millvina - I am sure that there will be someone in the Hospital that will understand it and read it to her.
    Millvina is making progress - slow but progress.
    Best regards

Brian

Brian like thanking for as much good disposition to him to maintain to us informed on Millvina? Please he sends my memories to her and mainly for you

>>Millvina is making progress - slow but progress. <<

Fast enough I hope that she can be home for Christmas.

Fast enough I hope that she can be home for Christmas.

I hope so, Michael. If not our Best Wishes will go out to her that day, as I am sure many of her friends and family, as well as the hospital staff, will help brighten things up for her.

I will have Millvina prayed for in a Novena of Masses at Washington's Basillica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, at Catholic University.
    Every year people submit names of persons they wish to remember. I use it to remember those I know who are sick or lonely, have suffered recent losses or hardships, as well as a special thought for a child celebrating his first Christmas.

Super Moderator
    [indent]
    quote:

Millvina is making progress - slow but progress.
    Good to hear, Brian. I concur with Mike, hopefully the progress will be hasty.
    Jason D. Tiller

I pray that she will recover. By the Way, who is visiting her in the hospital?

I hope she'll recover soon. Send her my best wishes, Brian.

João

Good news - Millvina Dean Has been moved out of Hospital to a Nursing Home in the New Forest quite near her home - so she should be happier in her usual surroundings.
    She still has a bad cough but is still improving.
    We all - I am sure - wish her well.
    Best regards

Brian

THANKS TO GOD! and thanks to maintain to us informed!

Good news, Brian. I hope she can be in her own home in short order, but this is definately a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the news Brian.

BTW, for future cards and presents, what is your advice as to where to send them?
    Would it be best for those of us who have written to her, in the past, to send things to her home address, so that they can be forwarded on to her?
    Yes, I am saying this as one who already sent items to Millvina; will presume the hospital will forward on anything received by them.

Oh that is so good to hear, Brian.

My prayers were with Ms Dean.

Brian, thank you for the update.

Super Moderator
    Good to hear, thanks Brian.
    Jason D. Tiller

Timothy Trower
    Is there a current address for cards to be sent to Millvina Dean?

Thanks!

Timothy - Thanks for thinking of Millvina.
    Due to the very stupid and thoughtless actions of a very few people I can no longer give out an address but if you would like to send any cards to me I guarantee that she will get them - my address is:
    Brian J. Ticehurst
    1 Mardon Close
    Swaythling
    Southampton
    SO18 2HP
    I was rebuked for giving out the hospital address - one 'person' phoned nine times in 30 minutes pretending to be a relative and asking for information.
    The lady is 94 years old and at present very poorly - she loves company and the cards cheer her up but there is no way in the world that she can respond to them.
    On Wednesday last at her home I was shown several Shopping bags full of items with requests that she sign them - some people just do not think! She has a job to hold a cup to have a drink let alone a pen to write.
    Sorry to be negative but . . .

Best regards Brian

Timothy Trower
    Brian,

Thanks so much for your help on this. The question has been asked on the THS Yahoo group and I'll pass along your answer (edited) to the group.

Personally, I've never tried to contact a survivor -- I figure they've been pestered enough through the years! From what you've described it would seem that I am right.

Tim

>>Personally, I've never tried to contact a survivor -- I figure they've been pestered enough through the years! From what you've described it would seem that I am right.<<

I agree 100%. For the love of whatever god(s) you believe in, I have to wonder what people are thinking when they try to exploit a 94 year old lady who wants and deserves to live her remaining years in peace.

I, too, agree: it's basically despicable what some people resorted to, as far as trying to contact Millvina, especially since she now will need lots of rest, and I will dare say, needed care. Eventually it will be known how much care will be needed, including the possibility of "24-Hour care".

Thank you, again, Brian, for all the information about Millvina. Hopefully, she will be able to be "shielded" from those people who still are looking for autographs or interviews.

Greetings,
    Millvina Dean Latest.
    As expected,(unfortunatly) Millvina will spend Christmas in the nursing home on her own most of the time in her little room as her condition does not allow her any mobility so that she cannot be part of the Homes general festivities.
    She is quite happy and cheerful but has periods of depression. Plenty of visitors pop in to see her and that cheers her up no end.
    Millvina sends her thanks to all those kind people who sent her cards and her room looks quite festive with them all dotted about.
    On the whole there is not much improvement in her condition and we can only hope that things get better for her.
    She and Bruno asked me to pass on the Seasons Greetings to you all.
    Best regards

Brian

I'm sorry to hear that Millvina's still stuck in that nursing home, but at least she's in a setting where her needs can be met by a caring staff. I hope that some of her friends can make some time to look in on her. All my best to her for a happy holiday.

Thanks for the update, Brian.

I, too, am sorry to hear Millvina won't be at her home, but am thankful that she will have people to attend to her. I am sure that people will continue to bring cards and gifts sent to her home, as well.

My prayers will be with her and Bruno this Christmas weekend.

Brian:
    From Argentinean as always I thank for the update of information. Single I hope that she and dark brown east really taken care of.
    Merry Christmas specially for you.
    My respect
    MAURO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast