Titanic forum and community
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Pictures of the Titanics Dead

This discussion on "Pictures of the Titanics Dead" is in the Halifax recovery operation burials etc section; Even though this is definitely a morbid topic, I am interested in knowing what ever ...

Even though this is definitely a morbid topic, I am interested in knowing what ever happened to the photographs taken of the bodies recovered from the Titanic site. I have read in various places that there was a photograph taken of each individual victim to aid in the identification process. Are these photos still in the Halifax archives, have they ever been published. If one ever gets a chance to purchase or read the book, Titanic: 31 Norweigan Destines, there is a photograph of Sigurd Moen's body laying in a wooden casket. To date, this is the only close-up picture I have seen of the Titanic dead. I by no means want to give off the impression, that I am some sort of ghoul who possesses a fetish for dead people, but I am passionate about the Titanic story and am eager to learn all I can about the ship and those that sailed on her. I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Jason

There are good photographs of two Titanic victims in “Titanic: Triumph & Tragedy”. If I'm right, one of them is a bath attendant and the other is a steward. Sorry that I cannot remember the page on which they appear.

In response to your question, I believe there is quite a big chance that all these pictures are still in the possession of the Halifax national archives. Hope I helped,

Charles Provost

The picture of the corpse of Sigurd Moen shows up in a number of books ("Titanic, 31 Norwegian Destinies", for one) as does an unidentified victim being embalmed on the deck of the Mackay Bennett.

Rob Jewel
    I am looking for information on a "lookout". He
    would be 18-25 or so, at the time of the sinking.
    Hw was a crew member of the RMS TITANIC, in 1912.
    He is ARCHIBALD JEWEL/JEWELL. He was on the DAY
    crew shift, with RICHARD SYMONS. I would like to
    know more about him. Or even find a photograph of him. I do not know if he lived or not. I also do not know if he even was aboard, but the
    records I've seen say he was...

Many thanks to all in advance...

Dear Rob,
    Archie Jewell was born December 4, 1888 in Bude, North Cornwall, England and married Elizabeth (Bessie) Heard (1889-1962) on August 24, 1915. He and his wife had a son, Raymond, who died as a teenager. Archie was killed on April 17, 1917 when his ship, the DONEGAL, was torpedoed in the English Channel. There is a very in-depth biographical article in the Atlantic Daily Bulletin, Number 4, 1999, page 21 which will give you much more information resulting from the excellent research of Steve Coombs. A photo of Archie appears on page 232 of the book TITANIC VOICES by Donald Hyslop. You can order a copy of the above referenced Atlantic Daily Bulletin from the British Titanic Society, P.O. Box 401, Hope Carr Way, Leigh, Lancs., England, WN7 3WW.

I hope this helps.

Phillip Gowan

TMONERA
    Can somebody please tell me if there were any transexuals on board the titanic,and if there were , were they counted as women when the lifeboats were being loaded so therefore were they granted access??
    TMonera

Jen K.
    This is response to TMONERA question about transexuals aboard Titanic. That is a thoughtless and offending to ask on such a matter as this. That is the last thing I would ever ask a message board. Even if there were do you really think it would be a topic of discussion in Titanic's history books!

Super Moderator
    I agree with you Jen!!

I second that in a hearbeat! How could anybody even think of asking that kind of a question?!

Jason D. Tiller
    Jason D. Tiller
    "To be happy is to be contented in your own mind"...Harold Godfrey Lowe
    43° 44' 01" N, 79° 24' 16"W
    Author of an upcoming biography on Arthur G. Peuchen

TMonera
    OOOOHHHH touchy Jen honey in case you have not noticed this is a discussion board dear so get over it
    Thelma

Mimi
    You tell her Thelma honey , In answer to your question that is debatable there could of been but I just can't help you there ,sorry darling
    Mimi

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast