Titanic forum and community
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Women's Difficulties

This discussion on "Women's Difficulties" is in the Health Medicine and Hygiene section; Oops! Just noticed Tracy had answered my question. As for poor women being embarassed hanging ...

Oops! Just noticed Tracy had answered my question.
    As for poor women being embarassed hanging out their 'rags' a couple of centuries ago: I don't think it bothered them. The lower classes knew about sex, periods and other facts of life and were not embarassed discussing and joking about them. The upper classes knew, but did not openly discuss or printed those facts. They saved them for the Regency and Victorian equivalents of locker room or girl talk.

George L. Lorton

But, what was milady to do in a world of mostly male pharmacists and grocers? Women were reluctant to...more or less...announce in public "I'm having my period" or "I need a dress shield" in front of an entire line of customers, to a male staff member.
    What indeed?

I think commercial, mass-produced sanitary products were first introduced - and mass marketed - in the 1890s, or thereabouts. However, ordinary working class women, particularly the rural poor who lived far from shops, would have continued to use whatever was available in the way of old rags.

Alyson Jones
    Actually women don't really need sanity wear,these days you have procedures to stop event the period happening.

This is for what George l lorton Quoted (i still don't know how to quote yet lol).

These days there's so many lady check out chicks but when i have to by my sanity wear, i always get stuck with a male chick out kid.
    It's embrassing!

Actually, Alyson, no, that's incorrect. I've used the type of birth-control your talking about, and while it does tend to stop your period for a few months, you are under no circumstances supposed to use it on a continual basis. You should at least have one period every few months at risk of serious damage to your ovaries. So yes, at least some sanitary wear is still required.

Alyson Jones
    I think were talking about different ones here!I have been natural all my life but my brother's g/f has one.once it is place in,you have freedom if you are getting my hint.when you decide to have babies you get it taken out.it's not perfect though,if it does move out of place it does not work probelry.YES i know you should have an natural period each month,i learnt that when i first got it.

Ok, I know the exact one your talking about for sure now, and its very dangerous to use. My own doctor highly advised against it - its not natural to not have a period at all, and it can cause serious damage to your body.

I'm just waiting for the news report that thousands of young women are sterile or having extreme health problems because of it.

Alyson Jones
    Kat-Yes i agree with you 100%.I'm with you,i would never get it for myself either. It makes me sink just thinking about having something shoved in side you.I also believe that alot of ladies are going to have trouble in later years,apart from you and i and my sis lol.

Sounds like you ladies talking about interuterine devices.

I'd be very careful with those things were I in your shoes. They aren't always that incredibly reliable and some...such as the notorious Dalkan Shield...have been known to cause some pretty severe damage.

Alyson Jones
    Yes,i will be careful that's why i'm never getting it done. There is a limit that the human body can take, and i think that's going to far.But there is a-lot using this product!

It's safer to use the old fashion sanity wear lol.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast