Titanic forum and community
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Fitness

This discussion on "Fitness" is in the Health Medicine and Hygiene section; In my opinion,After the sinking the Titanic had with her the Madian Voyage and she ...

Alyson Jones
    In my opinion,After the sinking the Titanic had with her the Madian Voyage and she was a brand new ship,so in the the media's eyes to make it more dramatic they stated that Titanic was the biggest ocean liner at the time,which really she was not.

Super Moderator
    they stated that Titanic was the biggest ocean liner at the time,which really she was not.

Yes, she was. Liners were ranked by their gross tonnage, and by that measure when she sailed Titanic was the largest ship in the world. When she sank the title reverted to Olympic until Imperator came along in 1913.

For a list of the largest ships from the time the 10,000 ton mark was passed until the advent of QE, look here.

Alyson Jones
    Oh my god ,you're that guy (MAB) from the other Titanic forum!It's very hard to class Titanic as the biggest when you can't see any difference in sizes from Olympic and Titanic. The Imperator would of been a different story?

As Mark said, passenger ships are traditionally rated by Gross Tonnage, a measure of volume, so Titanic was bigger than Olympic. Sometimes owners played little games, notably in the case of Normandie and Queen Mary. They added extra enclosed spaces in attempts to have the biggest ship. I forget who won.

For your information, Mark Baber is a very diligent researcher, with a record to be proud of. Heed his words of wisdom.
    Dave Gittins
    Titanic: Monument and Warning.
    http://titanicebook.com/Book.html

Super Moderator
    Oh my god

I harbor no pretensions of divinity, Aly, so "My Lord" will do fine.

;-)

you're that guy (MAB) from the other Titanic forum!

Yep. As I suggested to you on T-T yesterday, there are quite a few folks who participate regularly on both boards.

It's very hard to class Titanic as the biggest

No it's not, since it's correct.

The Imperator would of been a different story?

Yes. Imperator was significantly larger---by more than 5,000 tons---than Titanic.

Normandie and Queen Mary...I forget who won.

Although QM was larger than Normandie in her original form, Normandie's alterations were finished before QM entered service so Normandie remained the largest until QE came along.

Mark Baber is a very diligent researcher

Thanks for the kind words, Dave, much appreciated.

Alyson Jones
    MAB.Question,when Britannic was launched in 1914,was she bigger than the Imperator?

Alyson Jones
    Dave. I never said i was not lisening to MAB.I respect him like i do with you.

Super Moderator
    when Britannic was launched in 1914,was she bigger than the Imperator

No.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345