Titanic forum and community
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

1912 Height and Weight

This discussion on "1912 Height and Weight" is in the Health Medicine and Hygiene section; Corsets are bad for the rib cage aswell i heard, but it did make you're ...

Alyson Jones
    Corsets are bad for the rib cage aswell i heard, but it did make you're rack nice!lol.
    Were lucky us girls today, we can wear corsets for a specical event but then we can choose not to wear them ever again.

Brendan, there was fat people in 1912 i agree, but there still not obese or obese like in todays standards.
    But i am shock thy are a little big bigger than i expected though.
    Take a look at the modern obese photos of pepole and you'll see that 1912 fat people are only big boned or fat!Thanks for suppling some photos.

George L. Lorton

Thanks for supplying some photos.
    You're Welcome.

Corsets do make you assets look nice but a bra works just as well from what I've seen and doesn't cause havoc with you abdominal muscles and wall.

Alyson Jones
    True,I have no idea how women wore corsets day after day after day.I did hear women in those days died early from wearing corsets?

George L. Lorton
    Hi Alyson, Women were broken into wearing a corset as early as 12 years of age in some cases. Like Jim said it a step up from bound feet.

Alyson Jones
    (a step up from bound feet)what does that mean?

George L. Lorton
    Bound feet was a practice where young girls learning to walk in China had their feet bound in bandages to make the foot smaller.

Unfortunately it also made it hard for the girls to walk. To try to run must of been agony, and also deformed the foot.

OBESITY 1905 ADVERT: I had to dig this out, but KNEW I had it. A Kellogg's flyer:

View Image

which, among other things, shows that 'starvation diets' were well enough known in 1905 to warrant inclusion in the headline, AND that the dangers of various weight loss schemes were ALSO known to women of the era.

Also, interesting to note...although kind of gross...three of the Jack the Ripper victims were obese (Tabram/ Nichols/Chapman) while ONE was emaciated (Eddowes) one was of seemingly healthy body weight (Stride) and one was unclassifiable (Kelly). So, even amongst the lowest of the poor, in this TOTALLY random sampling, 50% were obese while only one showed signs of food deprivation.

George L. Lorton
    Kelly was described as healthy at one time in White Chapel by neighbors. There an illustration of her as she was in life done for the Police Gazette. Of course after she lived there a while as an alcoholic her weight would probably fluctuate because of her life style. The illustration can be found here.

!WARNING! Page contains gruesome crime scene photography of Miss Kelly after her Brutal Murder. http://www.casebook.org/victims/mary_jane_kelly.html

Thing about Mary Kelly is that even people who KNEW her gave opposing descriptions. Some said she was 5' 7", slender, and fair. Others said she was short and stout, with fair hair. The only agreement, in any descriptions, are that she was "pretty" and had fair hair. Some said she had a lisp. Others said she affected a French accent, while still others described a brogue. She claimed to be from Ireland, but also claimed to be from Wales. No family ever came forward, so her true identity remains unknown.

Interesting to note, as well, is that the only Ripper victim who was known to have been engaging in healthy activity prior to her death (The emaciated Katharine Eddowes, who had been doing farm work ~ hop picking~ until the week of her murder) was in worse physical shape than even Annie Chapman. Chapman, although terminally ill and an alcoholic, STILL managed to maintain what was then called a 'fine stout figure.'

George L. Lorton
    I guess there's something about Mary. I guess it depends on who was being interviewed on Mary's height. To some tall people she might of appeared small. Or to a short person she might of appeared tall. Also on her weight living in Whitechapel probably sucked the fat right off her as she lived there and as her alcoholism progressed. Alcoholics aren't know generally for their appetites.

Eddowes was slender because Hop Picking is hard work. Burned all the fat off the lady.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast