Titanic forum and community
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Pregnancy

This discussion on "Pregnancy" is in the Health Medicine and Hygiene section; What we need to get back to, Mon, is the Victorian tradition of obtaining support ...

What we need to get back to, Mon, is the Victorian tradition of obtaining support from our children at the first opportunity, rather than waiting for old age to creep up upon us. It's much easier to exploit the little beggars when we're still bigger than them. Are there no pit ponies down your way? No match factories? No chimneys?

I was of the opinion in the '60s that there should have been a law against employing young women behind the counters of chemist's shops. Gawd knows how many toothbrushes and bottles of Lucozade I ended up with on Friday nights.

Mon, your memories are sound. J W Rendell Ltd were still in business in the 60's and even today they are marketing the same type of product. I don't know when (or if) they switched to the more synthetic alternative formulations, or perhaps remained true to their traditions and continually developed the natural product which has now (in principle at least) been vindicated.

Hi Monica

That Bob's a hard man. I feed our four grandchildren with copious amounts of pocket money and tell them in about ten years we may have to reverse the process.

Make sure you've got that in writing, Ernie!

Oh, i've got no real expectation, Bob. Probably in ten years time they will be at University, hard up and happy.

Wow! I turn around for two seconds I come back to find it's taken off without me!

Thanks for the link, Monica but I couldn't find a timeline. Do you have any further directions for it?

Here you are Christa. It doesn't say much but it implies that there were no tests for pregnancy until the late 1920s, and that involved killing fluffy bunnies. That'd cause an uproar today.

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/pregna...rabbitdied.htm

Alyson Jones
    Hi Monica,you mention this in one of the early post about condoms.
    Were condoms around in 1900?Is that what you are saying,i'm really shock here.I never of thought condoms were invented back then!

>>Were condoms around in 1900?<<

These things have been around in one form or another since the time of Ancient Egypt. You might find http://www.avert.org/condoms.htm to be useful. Since the Egyptian contrivances were made of linen, I doubt they were really all that effective, even as a disease preventative.

Alyson Jones
    I just read it and i'm so amazed.
    So that means that Titanic officer's had condoms in there pockets?
    I really thought condoms were invented during ww2! Maybe they wern't that old fashion back in those days!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast