Titanic forum and community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gilded SelfMedication

This discussion on "Gilded SelfMedication" is in the Health Medicine and Hygiene section; Ah, laudanum...how many of those highly respectable Victorian ladies with vague illnesses passed their hours ...

Ah, laudanum...how many of those highly respectable Victorian ladies with vague illnesses passed their hours lying on the chaise lounge, essentially stoned? They would have expressed proper horror at an opium den, but were junkies themselves. Poor Elizabeth Siddal took an overdose of laudanum - the big question being whether it was accident or suicide.

Then there are those unforgettable scenes relating to cocaine use in Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories - the conclusion to 'The Sign of Four':

"The division seems rather unfair," I remarked. "You have done all the work in this business. I get a wife out of it, Jones gets the credit, pray what remains for you?"

"For me," said Sherlock Holmes, "there still remains the cocaine-bottle." And he stretched his long white hand up for it.

Sometimes, medications with the official stamp of approval aren't so swift to play with either. Anyone ever hear of Fen-Fen?

This was supposed to be the miracle drug for weight loss and it worked perfectly. One small, tinsey wincey litte problem though; it killed a lot of the people who were using it.

Embarrassing!

Paul Jones
    I've heard of Fen-Fen. Didnt it cause people who used it to have heart attacks?

Yep. A su-u-u-u-u-re cure for overweight! (and anything else besides that!)

John Meeks
    My grandmother used to consume vast quantities of tablets called "Rennies" - she assured us they cured/prevented indigestion. Apparently they were about 99% chalk !

Anybody in the UK know if they're still available?

Horrible things...

John m

Oh, goodness, yes...I remember my Nana using it in Oz, too. Think it also comes in liquid form now. Odd thing is, it worked with problems such as heart burn...suppose it countered the acidity.

And yes - was like consuming chalk.

Rennies tablets are still around in Oz and elsewhere. They are basically calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. They come in spearmint flavour and maybe other flavours. They work perfectly well for simple excess stomach acid but I believe there is some kind of problem if they are used too much.

Somewhere on this site is a thread about the dangerous things used in old cosmetics, such as belladonna.
    Dave Gittins
    Titanic: Monument and Warning.
    http://titanicebook.com/Book.html

sashka pozzetti
    I am interested in sea-sickness, and what people did, if they became ill. I wondered if people were not as sea-sick as we might be now, because they were more used to travelling on the sea. I know that Lucile was sick in a life-boat, because she describes it, but did other people describe being ill, especially when the ship was sinking and afterwards. Was it the sea, or the shock I wonder?

>>I am interested in sea-sickness, and what people did, if they became ill.<<

What they did is sarcastically referred to as the Technicolour Yawn these days. There's a very good reason why there were no carpets to be found in dining saloons even on the biggest ships. It was simply easier to clean a deck covered with oak or tile then it was to get the end result of mal de mar out of the rug.

>>I wondered if people were not as sea-sick as we might be now, because they were more used to travelling on the sea.<<

Don't count on it. Some people don't have a problem getting their sea legs. (Seasickness just never bothered me.) However, some never do. As to cures, I recall seeing period adverts to the effect but whether or not any of them really worked is anybody's guess. A lot of so-called medicines across the board were little more then snake oil and about as effective. Others left you so stoned that you wouldn't care if somebody was trying to give you a "haircut" with a guillotine, and some were so downright dangerous that you might as well use the guillotine. The end result would be the same.

sashka pozzetti
    thank you, that is such an interesting point about the carpet,. It is one of those things that is obvious when you think about it Though it seems that 1t class were trusted not to throw up!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast