Titanic forum and community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stokers and firemen

This discussion on "Stokers and firemen" is in the Life for the Crew and the Band section; Sorry, I forgot to question another thing that's been intriguing me. Did the firemen had ...

Joćo Carlos Pereira Martins
    Sorry, I forgot to question another thing that's been intriguing me. Did the firemen had any room for socialize with the other workers and relax, by playing cards and table games, or did they do this in the bedrooms?

Thanks, Joćo

Joćo: The only large room other than their quarters where they bunked was the firemen's mess on C deck starboard side in the forecastle.

Aside from the mess room, their sleeping quarters were quite roomy and were equipped with long tables with bench seating where no doubt many a hand of cards was played. They wouldn't normally have had much contact with other crew members. The greasers and seamen, for instance, had their own quarters and mess rooms.

Joćo Carlos Pereira Martins
    Thanks, once again. I promise to ask everything at the same time in the future!

Regards,
    Joćo

Glad to be of help Joćo when I can. It's good to have someone with your enthusiasm. There is a good set of plans from Bruce Beveridge that can be viewed on-line at: http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence.../explorer.html. If you look at decks C through G under the forecastle you can see the living quarters of these people and how they are laid out. As Bob had said, there was lots of space including benches and long tables.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12