Titanic forum and community

Google Earth and the Titanic's wreck site

This discussion on "Google Earth and the Titanic's wreck site" is in the Location of the Wreck section; Has anybody been able to find the Titanic's wreck site on Google Earth? I am ...

Has anybody been able to find the Titanic's wreck site on Google Earth? I am guessing there is already a placemarker for but I can't find it anywhere. Punching in the coordinates 48.06N, 49.05W doesn't turn it up.

Thanks,
    Ryan Thompson

You'll do much better with 41.44N, 49.47W.

It's not very interesting. Just water nearly 4,000 metres deep!
    Dave Gittins
    Titanic: Monument and Warning.
    http://titanicebook.com/Book.html

Hi Dave: I assume that was a minor typo. I believe you will still find nothing of interest on the bottom at the location you gave. I think you'd be better off looking about 7.5 nautical miles to the west of there.

That's what watching the Tour de France well into the night does!

Make it 41.44N, 49.57W.
    Dave Gittins
    Titanic: Monument and Warning.
    http://titanicebook.com/Book.html

Super Moderator
    A few months back, Andy Clarkson and I pulled together a bunch of Titanic-related locations that are found on Google Earth. The results are discussed here on Titanic-Titanic. There may be one or two other liners I located that aren't listed there; I'll check tomorrow (when I have access to Google Earth again) and advise.

Hello There.
    This link will take you right there. scroll down to bottom of the page to Google Earth link to the wreck

http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titan...location.shtml

Thanks for all the response! Ah hah, now I see. There are like 6 different markers and the ship's bow is north of the stern.

I wish Google Earth's search engine were better at picking up placemarkers for historic things like this. I searched a few times and never found it till now.

The Britannic's wreck site has a marker, too, coincidentally, and it can't be found using the search engine -- you have to know the name of the island and then go from there.

Thanks,
    Ryan Thompson

Alexander John Cooley
    With this being asked I am wondering if there is any thing on the sister ship Britannic being visible from the satellite imagery system?

The actual wreck itself being visible from space? No, while its in relatively shallow water I'm pretty sure its not. And its not in the Google Earth image, either. If the site were 50 or 100 feet more shallow, you might see a faint gray outline, during optimal weather conditions. (But I could be completely wrong.)

Light only penetrates so far and it's dim enough that divers can barely see the ship when they are right there with the hull plates a few meters in front of them. I don't see how a satellite could see the ship.

Eeep, brain fart. I was thinking of Britannic when I wrote that. I don't know why.

>>I was thinking of Britannic when I wrote that. I don't know why.<<

I wouldn't sweat it. The problem is exactly the same. Light only penetrates so far. With the Britannic, it's just far enough that they can barely see what they're doing. With Titanic, it's so deep that if they don't bring any lights with them, they're blind.

Hi everyone......apologies if this question has been asked before as I'm a newbie, but is there an on-line map somewhere that shows where Titanic sank in relation to Newfoundland, and how many miles of east of Halifax the wreckage actually is?

Super Moderator
    Hi Mark,

Try Google Earth.

[Moderator's note: This message and the one immediately above it, originally a separate thread in a different topic, have been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same issue. MAB]
    Jason D. Tiller
    "To be happy is to be contented in your own mind"...Harold Godfrey Lowe
    43 44' 01" N, 79 24' 16"W
    Author of an upcoming biography on Arthur G. Peuchen

Mark: Also, a map of which I enjoy in my Nat'l Geo. collection, is of the North Atlantic's undersea features -
    SEE: http://www.ngmapcollection.com/product.aspx?cid=1541&pid&#43;15757

Go to oceans, atlantic ocean floor map '68. Keep zooming (about 3 clicks) off the Grand Banks of Newfoundland and enjoy!

Michael Cundiff
    NV, USA

Mike,
    I can't find it!!I looked in the location that you said and I don't see it.

Michael -- I see the map and I've scrolled around on it, but if there's a marker or something for the Titanic, I can't find it.

Super Moderator
    Mike---

You mean the 1955 map, not the 1968 one, right?

Yes Mark, beings that I have both the '55 & '68, Titanic is labeled on the map of the Atlantic Ocean of '55. Thanks for the correction.

Michael Cundiff
    NV, USA