Titanic forum and community

SS Lurline

This discussion on "SS Lurline" is in the Other Ships and Shipwrecks section; Has anybody heard of the SS Lurline ? I'm asking, b/c my gt. gt. uncle, ...

Has anybody heard of the SS Lurline? I'm asking, b/c my gt. gt. uncle, Eugene Laster served as a First Class Stewart aboard her. She crossed back 'n' forth the Pacific from Honolulu, Hawaii to San Francisco, California. Among the many celebrities whom sailed on her, were: William Powell, Carole Lombard, Jimmy Durante, Claudette Colbert, Myrna Loy, Joel McCrea, Frances Dee, and Shirley Temple.

Tammy

Super Moderator
    Hello, Tammy---

There were two Lurlines; this one, in service from 1933 to 1963, and this one, in service from 1963 to 1971.

It was SS Lurline I, which was in service from 1933 to 1963, my late gt. gt. uncle, Eugene served on as a First Class Stewart. I have a postcard picture of her...a long with (naturally) a photo of my uncle too. Wish I could post his picture on this thread?

Tammy

My grandfather was a bosun/quartermaster on the first Lurline for Matson. This is the ship that ran between San Franscico and Hawaii.

Hi Erik! Talkin' about this bein' a small world, eh!?! Wonder if your grandfather, and my uncle ever came in to contact with each other throughout Lurline's many crossings? What, may I ask, in all due fairness, is your grandfather's name?

Tammy

Max K. Weisbarth. His father was a Master for Matson's frieght boats and later a Shipping Agent out of Seattle and San Franscico.

To prove that my Gt. Uncle Eugene Laster (b/c he was my late Grandmother Anna Lorraine Laster Handy's brother, he would be my gt. uncle, wouldn't he?) served as First Class Stewart aboard the SS Lurline I, I've looked most everywhere for someplace to write to that would contain the Manifest with his name on it.

Erik, would you happen to know where I can get hold of copies of the above Manifest? And/or where I could write to?

Thank you,
    Tammy

I would try contacting Matson directly or perhaps the Honolulu Maritime Museum. You will probably need to nail down an rough time frame when he was aboard.

Tammy,

I have a few contacts at Matson and I just sent along a note asking for some info. If I get it and it is useful, I will send along via this thread or through the board to your email.

Nailing down the time frame, might be rather tough, but since he served on Lurline I during the above mentioned 1933-1963. I could try 1933-1940 for starters, couldn't I?

Did you know that there's another time frame for the SS Lurline, that goes further back then the above? Such as February 20, 1907 - February 23, 1910, (which is much prior to Olympic's launch time), from Honolulu to San Francisco.

Ally, my Hattie cousin-in-law, emailed me this information. There's still more she sent me, but it's about Lurline's sister, the Monterey.

Tammy

Matson Lines, in the late 1940s purchased two Douglas DC-4s and named them "Sky Lurline" and "Sky Matsonia" and were offering fly one way, come back on the ship which became very popular.
    In mid Pacific, the plane would make a low pass over the liner.
    The final nail came when Pan American Airlines persuaded the government to use anti-trust legislation to get Matson Lines out of the airline business.
    If you can find a copy of "Ernest K. Gann's Flying Circus", there is an excellent story about Matson's short lived airline career, and in the hard bound edition, there is a beautiful painting of Sky Matsonia buzzing Lurline-
    I can remember seeing Lurline and Matsonia entering and leaving LA Harbor in the 1960s-great memories!

Here is a photo of one of Matson Lines DC4s operated on a regular passenger service alongside thier steam service in the late 1940s.

Jim Hathaway

I lived in Hawaii between 1961 to 1964. I remember the Lurline and Matsonia of that time frame visiting the port of Honolulu. Boat Day, as it was called, was a big day back then in the Islands, even with the increasing popularity of air travel. Sadly, I never got to sail on either ship, as we flew a Pan American Boeing 707 to Hawaii in 1961 and a World Airways Douglas DC-8 back to the mainland back in 1964.

In the book, "Advance Force Pearl Harbor" by Burlingame, there are several stories of Lurline during the war,she was transiting from the states when the attack occurred.
    There are also stories of Matson Line's other ships which came under fire, the crew of one spent several weeks in a lifeboat after thier ship was sunk by a submarine.

I am really surprised that so many people have heard of the LURLINE on different posts.
    My grandfather C.A.Berndtson was the captain of the LURLINE from 1932 until 1946.He ran troops all through the war.I'm sure thats why he died of a heart attack 6 months after getting back in april 1946.He was also the Commodore of the Matson fleet.I heard many interesting stories about his adventures from being a day and a half out of Honolulu when Pearl Harbor was attacked to bringing the troops and warbrides back from Australia. MY father was also the purser on the LURLINE pre war and lucky him married the Captains daughter.He also was the Assistant to the President of Matson in the 50's. My brother was the purser on the LURLINE sometime in the early 60's. I was a Ordinary Seaman on the last liner in 1964.So we all have Lurline and Matson in our blood.
    If there is anything anybody wonders about that's not on the web. ask away!

David or anyone else: My father was on the SS Lurline in May 1945 as an Army grunt. He became a member of the Domain of the Neptune Rex at that time. I knew he was stationed in the Philipinnes waiting for the invasion orders but I don't understand why he would be heading south over the equator to get to Japan. He did end his military service with 3 months in occupied Japan. Is there any way to get a record of the SS Lurline during the 1945 time period and ships's manifest?

Dagmar
    The S.S.Lurline ran troops all over the world.I'm sure he became a member of the domain of the neptune rex, as he had to go south to the Philipines at some time. I don't think the S.S.Lurline took the occupying troops to Japan.
    After the war the S.S.Lurline was the first ship to bring back troops and war brides from Australia in early 1946.
    As far as manifests are concerned, i don't know if Matson ever kept those. The Lurline was under the charges of the military during the war. But you never know, there might be something in the archives in San Francisco.

Anita Wylie
    In response to Tammy Saphiloff's question, I was on board the SS Lurline traveling from Honolulu to S.F. in 12/58. On board with us was Dorothy Lamore, and she graciously spent time every day with a group of us young kids, singing, doing the hula, etc. Even though I was just 7, I had free-run of the ship and loved every minute of it.

Am looking for information as to where I may obtain a passenger list for a cruise from Hawaii to Los Angeles in December 1941, aboard the Lurline.* It was just a few days after the attack.* My Mother, myself, Brother, and Sister were aboard for that cruise.* Any info provided would be greatly appreciated

I was looking up information on the S.S Lurline and came across this link. I came to the U.S. from Australia on the first ship of war brides(the Lurline) after the war ended. We left Brisbane on Sept. 11, 1945. I was the youngest onboard - less than a month old. There were manifests available because I've seen the one of that voyage. Someone sent it to me. I believe the Lurline did take troops to Japan, but the war ended before they arrived.

I was also wondering if a passenger manifest is available for the Lurline. My Dad was in the Army and was stationed at Schofield Barracks. We left in 1959 or 1960. I remember playing shuffleboard and wandering around the ship late one night when my parents thought me and my two sisters and brother were in the cabin. I was 6 years old. That would never happen in this day and age. I do remember watching the wake of the ship off the stern. There was also a childrens program I believe it was called "Cakey Town". I remember seeing Bambi there and playing musical chairs. When we arrived in San Francisco, I remember passing Alcatraz and my Dad leaning out the port hole and waving a towl as we passed under the Golden Gate Bridge.

My war bride mother and I arrived in the USA on 7 April 1946 aboard the SS Lurline. We sailed from Sydney, Australia. I've still got the US Army tag I had to wear to debark in San Francisco. Also have the Lurline pamphlet and a copy of the ship's newsletter, Bride Lines.
    My mother and I belong to the WWII War Brides Association. You can read about it at: http://www.geocities.com/us_warbrides/

Super Moderator
    Hello, Erin---

Please note this message and take appropriate action.

Thanks.

Sailed on that ship from 1939 as an infant living in Honolulu, until the Pearl Harbor attack in 41. My Mother would take our car along with us, so we could get around San Francisco.

My father, William A. "Bill" McClendon served on the Lurline before and during WWII as a crewman and Merchant Marine. I have some of his memorabilia and photos that I will try to share

I have two restaurant type menu's from the s.s.lurline dated 1939.They both have hawaiian type pictures on the front one is a complete menu and the other is blank inside.I was wondering if they could be valuable and hoping that someone could tell me how to find out.The menu's belonged to my husbands grandfather.

>>I was wondering if they could be valuable and hoping that someone could tell me how to find out.<<

They might be. It might help if you could gat a hold of an antiques dealer who specializes in liner ephemerea. In the meantime, make sure you take good care of them.

FACTS AS I HAVE THEM:

Dec 7 1941 -- Grandpa/Grandma Powell, 2 uncles, and Mom are residents of Pearl Harbor Hawaii. Japan gets uppity...

June 1942 -- 4-7 June, USA gets even, so to speak.
    Grandma and 3 kids head for USA aboard the Matson Liner "Lurline"
    Grandpa stays in Hawaii (there are unconfirmed rumors that the letters "OSS" were on his resume
    somewhere, if it had ever been printed).
    Uncle Tom has a copy of the shipboard newsletter from that voyage -- undated, but with baseball
    scores, news coverage of President, etc.
    On-board restrictions during voyage included night blackouts, no smoking on deck, constant wearing of life jackets.

I have the names and ages of Grandma and the 3 kids.

Matson is still in business.

Uncle Tom is looking for a copy of the passenger manifest for that trip for a family thing for next year (70th anniversary Pearl Harbor).

What are the odds of:
    (A) that passenger manifest still existing
    (B) me getting a copy (digital, paper, doesn't matter) of said manifest

What sounds like the best way to pursue this?
    Pretty up the above facts, communicate with Matson via email to appropriate section, and ask sweetly?

Anyone have any other suggestions, I'm open to them.

Charlie Cotterman
    Dayton OH

Lurline Berry
    My dad was the barber for the SS Lurline in the late 50's. His name was Raymond Bowers. He talked a lot about his voyages on the Lurline before he died.

Cindi Richwine
    My dad is trying to find out the exact dates the Lurline left San Francisco for Brisban in June of 1943. He thinks it sailed under the Golden Gate on June 26th and arrived in Brisban on July 11th. He was on it, but at 90 years of age, things are becoming a bit foggy It's important to him...is anyone out there able to help? Thanks! Cindi

Have you tried Ancestry.com? I looked there, and found that the Lurline arrived in San Francisco on May 31, 1943, and was in Honolulu on July 26, as she returned to San Francisco. I can't find an early July record of her arriving in Hawaii en route to Brisbane, but if you go to the Immigration section of the site, and keyword his name, Lurline, and 1943, you might find something.

Virginia Basl
    so cool finding this site! my parents, sister & i left San Francisco on the Lurline 26 May 1962 for Honolulu. am interested in finding passenger list, photos, etc.

ivanPop

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Idleman View Post
    I was looking up information on the S.S Lurline and came across this link. I came to the U.S. from Australia on the first ship of war brides(the Lurline) after the war ended. We left Brisbane on Sept. 11, 1945. I was the youngest onboard - less than a month old. There were manifests available because I've seen the one of that voyage. Someone sent it to me. I believe the Lurline did take troops to Japan, but the war ended before they arrived.
    I was s crew member on the Lurline in 1945 and we were bringing Engineering troops from France to Manila. The war ended as we were leaving Ulithi Island after refueling there. We remained in Manila a few days before going to Brisbane to pick up mostly Australian War Brides along with some wounded troops and other's.There were many little babies on board...so I probably saw you back then. I was 18 years old.
    Ivan Gottlieb
    IvanPop@aol.com.

"My grandfather C.A.Berndtson was the captain of the LURLINE " He was also Captain on the SS Malolo in the last three months of 1929 during the 'Round the Pacific Goodwill Tour". The California Pioneers of Santa Clara County is producing a full-length documentary of this cruise and I am searching for first-hand accounts written by those who sailed aboard her. By any chance, did you or any other descendant inherit a diary he may have written during this cruise. Please contact me rickhelin@aol.com in San Jose, CA Any other ephemera saved by him on this specific cruise?