Titanic forum and community

The Art of Ken Marschall

This discussion on "The Art of Ken Marschall" is in the Titanic Artwork section; I decided to start a thread on Ken's artwork because it is something that I ...

I decided to start a thread on Ken's artwork because it is something that I am in awe of.
    If something arrives in Wellington NZ then I'm onto it.

Here is a starter...
    You have just won the first prize of a competition which is funding to commission a KM original.
    WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE HIM CREATE?
    This is not limited to the TITANIC but can apply to events in the life and demise of other ships like BRITANNIC, LUSITANIA, QUEEN MARY/ QUEEN ELIZABETH, NORMANDIE, ANDREA DORIA, etc

Let your imaginations loose!

Martin

Stefan Christiansson
    I would stay at the Titanic. Something I always wanted to see on picture is the wreck of the Titanic as it would have looked hours after hitting the bottom. Before the decaying commenced. I would also love to see detailed pictures of how the detoration has proceceded along the years and also what will happen to the wreck in the future. I can see this before me in my imagination, but to see a painting of it would be great.

That's how I would use my first prize

Stefan Christiansson
    Also some drawings of the interior from the wreck directly after sinking would be interesting to see.

Mikael Jonsson
    Maybe this is what you are looking for?

(Edited to remove oversize image not conforming to ET image posting guidelines. Copyright implications also uncertain. Please contact the forum moderator if further explanation is required. FN)

Stefan Christiansson
    I have seen this one before. Nice illustration, who has done this?

Actually I meant something more detailed like the drawings of the wreck by Ken Marshall as seen in "The discovery of the Titanic"

Thanks for posting this picture

Hi all,
    Something I would LOVE to see Ken do, and it is something no one has yet painted, is an illustration of either the Mackay Bennett or Minia on site at the disaster area and engaged in the sad work of recovering victims and wreckage from the sea. I picture the cable ship in the background, one of it's cutters with men in the foreground recovering people/objects, and the sea strewn with wreckage and debris. I feel this would be a very powerful and moving image which would drive home the reality and humanity of the disaster. Regards, Steve Santini.

Stefan Christiansson
    I agree with you totally Steve. That image would very much illustrate the tragedy of the disaster in a way I don't believe I have ever seen before. I can see that drawing in my mind.
    It speaks tranquility, sadness, chaos and dejection.

Dear Stefan,
    I have seen that image in my mind for more than 20 years now. It is indeed very touching and also very haunting...
    Regards, Steve Santini.

Mikael Jonsson
    Stefan I don't know who drew it or where I got it from, but it's a interesting picture. I wonder what will be left of the Titanic 2062. 150 years after the disaster.

it would be interesting if Ken Marshall could do a painting which illustrate inside the Titanicwreck or the sinking of Carpathia.

Hej förrästen Stefan!

This is the most haunting picture I have ever seen of the ship. The hair on the back of my neck raises up every time I see it. It is called "And The Band Played On"

http://titanichistor icalsociety.org/cart /addprod.asp?product id=144

As far as a painting I personally would like to see of Ken Marschall, I am not picky. I admire all work he feels inspired to do.
    Does anyone happen to know if he has a gallery or way to view his originals? I bet they are more spectacular than in the books.

Mikael, thank you for posting the image. I had not come across it before.

Colleen

Stefan Christiansson
    Hej Mikael

Actually, I emailed Ken about a year ago suggesting he do this very thing- that he concider doing a painting of Titanic as she appeared a day, or a year after she hit the sea floor. All of his stunning paintings of Titanic set the wreck in post discovery times.

A painting of Titanic set in 1912 with intact white,black and red pain; with falls swaying from her few remaining davits, and with a slight haze of still settling sediment would be amazing. I know we would all buy prints of that...

On a past issue of the Titanic Commutator, Ken featured a painting of the Andrea Doria wreck, as diver Peter Gimball found her, one day after the sinking- with glistening paint,intact funnel, etc.. A painting of Titanic done in a similar theme would be amazing......

Ken's painting of the Andrea Doria wreck as she appears today was most impressive as well.
    Its sad how everything above her superstructure is gone.

Most impressive was Ken's painting of the Britannic wreck. I do admire how he 'updated' details of the twisted bow when data from the dive her participated in became available.

One thing Im curious of. When Ken paints the 'modern' scene of Titanic, will she be set in 1985, with crowsnest intact, or will he reflect the various changes the wreck undergoes as she continues to crumble through the years?

Such a 'day after' painting for Titanic- or Lusitania- would be equally amazing.

A painting of the Mackay Bennet, Minia, etc, on the search for bodies would be heart wrenching- good idea Steve, that could very well be the most touching of all Titanic themed paintings.

Odd thing about all the photos of the recovery of the lifeboats or the icefield in the area is that there is not so much as one piece of debris can be seen in the water, in any of the published photos(save for the abandoned lifeboats later ecovered).

Without the debris- or victims, the photos of the recovery efforts of the lifeboats really don't convey the scope of the tragedy.

Steve, do you know if the crew of The Minia, Mackay Bennet or any other ships photographed the sea strewn with Titanic wrecksge? A painting of such a scene would bring tears to my eyes...

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

Hi, Colleen:

Ken doesn't have a gallery that people can go to to view his paintings, but every once in a great while, they'll be an exhibition of his work in the L.A. area. When I hear anything about the next one, I'll let you know.

And, yes, his paintings are *way* more impressive in person than in the books. I am quite fortunate to own a number of his paintings (including the Lusitania bow-on sinking scene), and the originals have a vibrancy and life that you just don't get from looking at a reproduction in a book.

Eric

Thank you for thinking of me, Eric. I very much look forward to seeing the next exhibition.

Colleen

Mikael, how did u get that colour image to upload at such a large scale - I cant get mine to do that

And your address would be, Eric? :-)

A number of us would be interested in an exhibition of Ken's work - please let us know!

I wonder if any of Ken's paintings are still for sale? I remember years ago at THS conventions he sold some of his art onsite.At that time, he had the time for personal commisions.Not sure if his busy schedule allows that anymore, but I hope so! Hes by far my favorite maritime artist.

I do hope Ken Marshall opens his own website (or studio) where he can sell prints and/or originals of his own art, and possibly paint private commisions too.

regards

Tarn Stephanos

I to love Ken Marschall's Titanic Art work, the detail and accuarcy is amazing. There is one scene I saw in the 1997 movie that I have always thought would be a great shot for Ken to create. It is in the Southampton scene when a green cart (says Southampton on it) pulls infront of the camera and when it passes you can see a beautiful portside view looking up at the towering ship. The colours are all very virbrant and I belive that would be an excellent photo to create. I would also like (with some of the new information now) to create some interior paintings of what the vessel looked like in 1912 or even what the rooms look like today in the wreck from Cameron's latest expedition. I think he said in the other thread regarding his article that he might paint some new paintings based on his recent trip. But even if he doesn't paint a new Titanic I am still happy will all the beautiful prints he has created in the past and they are all truly inspiring.

Regards,

Nigel

Thanks for all of your comments and ideas.
    I too would love to see an exhibition of his works and I agree about that website idea.

Stefan and Steve described something that struck a chord in my mind's eye. The piece below is called BRINGING HOME THE DEAD. It is something we should never loose sight of in our discussions and debates: 1'503 souls or near never saw the sun rise that morning.

Martin

Mikael Jonsson
    Tarn: I really would like to see Ken's painting of the Andrea Doria wrreck. I have never seen it before.

Greg: Use compression rate 30% when you save your JPG files. You hardly notice the difference in the quality. Paint Shop Pro is the best program to do this with.

Thank you Martin,
    As I said, this kind of image has been haunting me for over 20 years. It becomes all the more understandable when you have actual woodwork and a deck chair from the Titanic sitting in your living room (as I do). When I lived in Halifax I often used to look out at the ocean, close my eyes, and imagine the sea covered with wreckage and victims in the wake of the disaster. I cannot imagine the horrors the crews of the body recovery ships must have experienced. In my humble opinion, I feel the emotions these men must have felt as they carried out this tragic work would make the basis for a very powerful television documentary or even "mini movie". This is certainly one very emotional and moving segment of the Titanic saga that is often not considered enough. Thank you again for the illustration. Regards, Steve Santini

thanks i will try that - i dont ave paint shop pro can i do it with photoshop?

Mikael Jonsson
    Greg:
    Photoshop is far much better than Paint Shop Pro.
    If you make more Titanicillustrations , how about making one of the sinking?

I think if I wanted Ken to produce a painting for me I would like a nightime shot taken from a skyscaper in NY harbour with the Carparthia steaming into pier 54, surrounded by press and tug boats on the night of April 18th.
    Think that would make an excellent painting.

I'd like Ken to do a painting of the Californian and Carpathia, shortly after the Californian had arrived at the scene.

Mmmmm,
    Some really good ideas.
    I personally would like to see him do some more paintings on the LUSITANIA. Say a pierside scene at the 'Pool or NYC for one or the event of her running into that monster wave off Grand Banks in 1910.
    Just a few starters 'cause I could think of many.

cheers
    Martin

P.S. happy 4th of July to my friends in America (ET crowd in general)

"...one or the event of her running into that monster wave off Grand Banks in 1910."

That was one of the scenes I suggested for Exploring the Lusitania. Unfortunately, it was vetoed by the publisher.

Eric Sauder

larry quinn
    I have to agree with those who would like to see her after she finaly arived ar her destitination in 1912.

Wowwww!
    Thanks Eric. That is something I have always imagined and even gone so far as scripting with storyboard drawings!
    That book would have been even, visually, better if they had done it. Alas.

thanks

Martin

I know I have put my 10c worth already but another I would like to see would be a day after sinking scene form the same POV as the painting on the cover of EXPLORING THE LUSITANIA. this would be like his two paintings of the sunk ANDREA DORIA.
    I will post a drawing on the Wreck thread in the Lustania section (if I can)

Martin

Art of Ken Marschall
    }I just wanted to let those of you that are interested in the art of Ken Marschall know about the availability of a special 1912-2012 Titanic Centennial Calendar featuring his art, produced by Trans-Atlantic Designs. You'll see several new paintings that are being published for the very first time, and it's packed with more information than you've ever seen in any Titanic calendar. Check it out www.transatlanticdesigns.com.

george lorton
    I loved his work in Inside The Titanic so I will definatly be giving this a look over.

Hi everybody,

Here are the images to one hundred years of the Titanic by Ken Marschall.

http://www.transatlanticdesigns.com/pubs.html#

I spent commendam soon as I could do I expect the confirmation e-mail.

Best regards.

http://titanic-model.com/dc/dcboard....893&mode=fulll

Français:

Salut à tous,

Voici les images pour les cent ans du Titanic par Ken Marschall.

J'ai passé commende dès que j'ai put le faire j’attends le message de confirmation e-mail.

Salutation distinguées.

Super Moderator
    I just obtained this calendar, which is gorgeous and stunning that includes some new works by Ken Marschall. It is the only one worth having, to remember the great ship during her centennial. I highly recommend it.
    Jason D. Tiller
    "To be happy is to be contented in your own mind"...Harold Godfrey Lowe
    43° 44' 01" N, 79° 24' 16"W
    Author of an upcoming biography on Arthur G. Peuchen

Hello to all,
    first post in this forum for me. My name is Stefan Loss, I come from Germany (near Cologne).

I have a question about the art of Ken Marschall, of which I am a big fan since I got my first book about the Titanic way back in the 80s.

On my search about prints of Ken Marschall´s paintings I came across this website:

http://www.kenmarschall.com/

which claims to both sell original paintings, as well as licenses for reproduction. They also say that they are driectly connected to Marschall and that you can contact them for commissioning a new painting. I have wrote them an e-mail almost a week ago regarding the costs for buying or lilcensing a certain picture that is available on their website, as well as a rough estimation of the costs for commissioning a new painting (which I am thinking of). Unfortunately I did not hear anything from them yet.

Did anyone of you already have contact to the people from this website?

Or do you know a place where to obtain high quality prints of Ken Marschall´s paintings? I am aware of the "Transatlantic Designs" website, but they only have a small amount of pictures, and not the ones that I am actually interested in.

I have read recently that James Cameron is working on a book, due 2013, including new art by Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Owen Cahill View Post
    I have read recently that James Cameron is working on a book, due 2013, including new art by Ken.
    I guess it is the book about his dives to the Titanic wreck with several wreck images.

Quote Originally Posted by Ioannis Georgiou View Post
    I guess it is the book about his dives to the Titanic wreck with several wreck images.
    Do you mean the more recent dives, or will it cover all of the post 1997 dives?

As far as I know it will be about his 3 dives to the wreck (1995, 2001, 2005) and what was discovered.