Titanic forum and community

Lego Titanic

This discussion on "Lego Titanic" is in the Titanic Models and Modelmaking section; Hello. Over the last few months, I have been creating a lego Titanic model. However, ...

Jeffrey Beaudry

Lego Titanic

Hello.
    Over the last few months, I have been creating a lego Titanic model. However, to get myself over the hurdle of those annoying angles that legos always make, I decided to make the scale of this model roughly 1/115, or about eight feet.
    As of now I am almost done with the hull, but I have not painted it yet. After the hull, I will move onto wood and other more detailed components.
    I will send some pictures in later posts, and does anyone have any idea how to make 115th scale deck chairs?

Jeffrey Beaudry
    Here is a shot from the bow:

Jeffrey Beaudry
    Here is a shot from the stern (I used a little clay to smooth out some edges) :

Colin W. Montgomery
    I am glad to know someone else has tried this.

Jeffrey, mine was not as large as yours, but we seem to have had the same idea. Also, I noticed yours was multi-colored. I used the actual color of lego for the appropriate colors of hull e.g. black hull---black legos. After years of attempting this, I eventually gave up, never having enough pieces. I was also thinking it would never look good enough, so I turned my efforts to scale plastic models like the one I am building now, Academy's 1/600 Titanic.

Thanks

I too built a Lego Titanic. The dimensions were set for the size of the little lego people and the colors were fitting, but I could only do a small area of the side of the hull. I created Boat Deck through tank top and actually got pretty good results. The lifeboat cranes actuall lowered the lifeboat and the gangway doors would open and shut. I built a section of the Southampton pier with the boarding tower and gangways so the lego people could walk on the ship. I even created a small towncar for the lego men to cruise in. It was cool, but the model Jeffrey is doing seems cooler.

Jeffrey Beaudry
    Thanks Clifton, and do you have any pictures of your model?
    And does anyone know where I could go to find pictures of other large models? When I'm done with the legos I'll be doing wooden details, and I'm determined to get the boat as close as possible in scale and detail.

I could send you some if you like. They really have too much detail in them. Plus Im going to have to build it again. When you have a two year old breaking in your room, you creations are going to have a very tragic demise.

My Lego Titanic: About 1/175 scale:

Obviously, not complete yet

Why cant I see this. All I see is a box that says "Your Image Here"

Jeffrey Beaudry
    Ditto on the picture.

As for the 653 deck chairs, I think that I'll be missing out on the rest of the summer.

You can't see my pic, because I messed up! Try this link instead!

http://home.comcast.net/~bwormst7/Aug12Titanic.jpg

Nice pic Bill. You did great on the Boat Deck. And Jeffrey, there were 653 deck chairs on A Deck alone. That does not include the deck chairs for Boat Deck. Try doing the benches instead. I imagine that at that scale, the benches are going to be easier to recreate. Are you going to paint over the legos?

Jeffrey Beaudry
    I think I'll take your word on doing the benches, Clifton, and yes I will paint over it.

Jeffrey Beaudry
    Sorry I forgot to add it in the previous post, but that Titanic you made Bill was awesome.

Thanks, Jeffrey. But I ain't done yet!

Unfortunately, at the scale I was working (length and width), the size of the Lego's themselves thru the height off a bit. I am considering altering the model to fix the height - but that involves changing the length & width! Oh well!

Given Lego's - the larger the scale, the more detail and accurate you can get. I had a 1/350 model, which didn't have much detail other than the basic ship - this double size version allowed enclosed Promenades, indented Third Class Entrances on the well decks, and even a Bridge with a wheelhouse!

I seem to be running low on pieces. Would anyone like to see a really tiny Titanic. It is 2 tiles by 22 tiles and its really cool. The masts seem a little tall but the ship can actually break in half. It is not entirely correct given the size but its great for those with low talent.

Jeffrey Beaudry
    You're not the only one running low on pieces, Clifton. Thank the Lord for WalMart's low prices!

Jeffrey Beaudry
    Just out of curiosity, how would one go about waterproofing a lego hull?

Jeffrey Beaudry
    Update:
    The watertight bulkheads are now fully completed. The back quarter of the ship is fully completed (legos, not the actual details). Very soon, and I will be onto the non-lego parts.

Did you ever finish the lego Titanic? And also, how many pieces have you used?

Jeffrey Beaudry
    At this point, the entire lego section of the ship (at least, as far as I am going) is finished. It is currently 10.5" high, 8' long. All watertight bulkheads are finished, ranging in height depending on the true bulkheads. Sadly, I have been busy lately, and have not worked on the ship in some time. As for the amount of legos, I can only count the number of buckets that I have on me, which adds up to about 6500 legos. I have also not painted the ship yet, so it still looks like something out of a psychadelic trip. I also would like to mention that the propellers were removed several months ago, due to an instability in my design.

Allo. I know that this post is from a long time ago but Jeffery can you please tell me how you formed the bow? I have tried a million different things to get that angle and it never works! Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Hello Elizabeth,

Welcome aboard. According to Jeffrey's profile, he hasn't accessed the board in over a year. But, you can send him a message through his profile by clicking on his name.
    Jason D. Tiller
    "To be happy is to be contented in your own mind"...Harold Godfrey Lowe
    43° 44' 01" N, 79° 24' 16"W
    Author of an upcoming biography on Arthur G. Peuchen

I tried that...apparently he really is not paying attention to his account. =) Thank you though!

Super Moderator
    You're welcome, Elizabeth.
    Jason D. Tiller

Jeffrey Beaudry
    Sorry about the delay, I've been having intermittent Internet problems over the past year, and recently it's been over a month since I last came online.

To get the bow to angle inward, I used the specialized bricks with the horizontal hinges, and kind of built around them. They kept it in place and from wobbling around too much. Although it isn't in the picture I posted above, I later used the same technique on the stern.

As a kind of update, I'm sad to say that my model is no longer around. Having an 8-foot Lego model in your house doesn't leave much room for anything else, and I was forced to take it apart at the request of my family. Annoyingly, this was only after I had bought about 30 bottles of red, black, and white paint for the ship. At least I can say that by the time it was dismantled, I had completely finished the Lego portion of the model.

Sorry about not responding any sooner, and I hope that your model comes out great!

hi guys i needed some help on my construction of lego ships im currently building a 6 to 7 ft lego titanic and will be over 2 feet tall i was just wondering how can i make my lego ship float higher on the water (get less draft) i know legos are not waterproof put just a few tips would do

thanks.

Humm, try "gluing" the Legos with some type of builders' spray foam. That will help seal out water AND give you some buoyancy. Just a thought.

[Moderator's Note: This message and the one immediately above it, originally posted as a separate thread, have been moved to the pre-existing "Lego Titanic" thread. MAB]

George L. Lorton
    I love Lego's and love Titanic so I say go for it. Let us know if you get the ship to float, or if the Ship Sinks

That's a great effort of the Titanic. I myself have built a Lego version but of the Olympic instead of the Titanic.

George L. Lorton
    Wow! Thats nice Rupert.

Thank you George. It used to have rigging but it proved a hassle to keep. It also has lights running through the superstructure.
    I'll probably make a few adjustments soon so if anyone has an idea to make it look a little bit better please let me know. Thanks. Rupert.
    The image below shows the Olympic (to the right) and another Lego ship of mine illuminated.
    View Image

George L. Lorton
    Really Cool, Rupert! Looks Great as is.

hey rupert nice model have you tried testing it in water?

Rupert and James, I like your models. I often spent countless hours building models of the Titanic with Legos as a younger person, but sadly, none of them survive. I once built the entire bridge section, color correct, to the scale of the Lego people. It inevitably ended up sunken and then 'raised' in my grandmother's swimming pool.

James I've never tested the Olympic in water because of the lights going through it. I built another one, identical and called it Titanic and sank that:

hi can anybody give me a sutible scale/lengh width of a lego figure scale titanic?

James- I think a lego scale Titanic would be about 27 feet long and 3 feet wide. I figure that because a lego man is about 1/32 scale. Those are about the measurements of the 1/32 scale Titanic.

Also, I tried my best at a lego Titanic, but I don't have enough legos to build hardly any of it. I did successfully make a Lego Titanic movie on youtube, and that is extremely popular.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tEK-31eSUOU

Alexander John Cooley
    Give me enough lego, Technology, and some specail stuff. I would build a 110' long Titanic and meniturize my self and sail the seven seas while being able to enjoy the ship it's self.

Hey Everyone,

I am currently building the Titanic similiar to Jefferey's, but it is considerably bigger. I am using a CAD program I found on the web that is used for Lego Sets, and it has a report generator telling me multiple things, such as how it is 37 feet long and four feet wide! (If I knew I was building such a behemoth I would have scrapped the idea in the first place.) Any-for-who, the only thing I have done is work and slave on the G-Deck. I am dreading the upper decks that have millions of rooms. As soon as it is done, I will go down into the Orlop Decks, and then go up. The curves are going to kill me as I do not have that much skill in the program, but hopefully by then, I will have the money to purchase the pieces. (I can also know the pieces involved, of which there are so far five and a half thousand invested as is, by another report.)
    If anybody is interested, I will post pictures... somehow...
    Clark

Super Moderator
    Hello Clark,

Welcome aboard.

Yes, please post pictures of your model. They would be interesting to see.
    Jason D. Tiller

Hello,
    Thank you Jason for your heartening welcome. If you give me a post or two I shall have them up.
    While I am on here, maybe some of you could help me out. I am worried about the curving and construction of the two side props. The middle one shouldn't be too bad, but the sides are going to be troublesome. If anybody has any suggestions in their design, It would be most helpful.
    Thanks,
    Private Clark Morningstar
    7th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    Union Army

I love seeing things made out of Lego. Once I did a Titanic for my son and he keep it on his shelf next to his models of both a Lancaster and B17.
    But time seen the need for further use for the bricks (Lego) and after a few outings in the bath, the old ship was brokenup and now resides in pieces in a large plastic storage barrel.
    So good luck with it, and I look forward to seeing some pictures posted up here.

Hey guys,
    I am having some trouble getting the pictures up. I'm trying to post one with this message, but it would help if the limit was more than 35 kilobytes! View Image
    Hooray it worked!!!!
    Now here is the other one,
    View Image
    And here is a picture of Small Titanic which I built for reference.
    View Image

Super Moderator
    Hi Clark,

You're most welcome.

Your model looks great so far! Keep it up and let us know how it's progressing.
    Jason D. Tiller

Lego isn't what it was, Steve. You can mostly only buy spacecraft and other ludicrous futuristic sets. You can't easily buy basic stuff which allows children to use their imaginations. When my boys were young, I dismantled the sets (after they'd made and enjoyed them) into component parts in a huge tool box, and they and their friends then spent many happy hours making things from their imaginations. Me too, actually.

My castle was the envy of the neighbourhood, and much better than the 'official' Lego version! I had a proper ghost in my dungeon which glowed after dark. Beat that.

Arrr, the days of the old Lego bricks. Fond memories indeed. All my original Lego has gone the way of the dodo. Yes, it’s all Star Wars etc. these days.
    I bought years ago the standard bricks, but my son bought those special kits like I mentioned above.
    Pieces later stuck in the vacuum cleaner, fouled the pool filter and our cat, Nippy, nearly choked on a storm troopers helmet.
    You remember those coloured ones back in little school Mon? They were made out of coloured wood of various lengths.
    Those old days have left me now, but the memories remain.

Some of ours has recently returned, Steve! I gave our enormous Lego repository to my boys' 5-year old nephew about 10 years ago. Neither said anything, but years later James said, "You gave my Lego away!" Well, the nephew has outgrown it and a huge package of it has returned and James actually spent several hours making stuff. However, some of it is missing, mostly little people, storm trooper's helmets, hats, steering wheels, axles - the tiny stuff. But I understand another consignment is on its way. All I need now is some grandchildren .... and I could be on the floor again, reprising my tremendous castle to the admiration of a bunch of five-year olds.

George L. Lorton
    I remember building Ancient Rome and Pompei with my Legos. Vesviuos erupted everyday. All because my brother and I saw The Arena\Naked Warrior by Roger Corman starring Pam Grier Margaret Markov as slaves forced to fight to the death in ancient Rome on USA Channel. I never built a Titanic.

I dunno how Clark's going to manage those curves. Do you have a Legoland theme park in the States? Ours is near me, and was great fun to visit, though I've not been for 10 years.

George L. Lorton
    I think we do but I can't remember where it is exactly?

Alexander John Cooley
    How far along are you now Clark?

I had the keel laid and all the ribbing outward and it was actually having a triple bottom too and well the hard drive that contained the behemoth was killed by a 1' 6" drop caused by some cat fights on my computer area which I am yet to get some cayenne pepper on my computer area.

Hey everyone,
    I am in Japan right now, so I have neither done anything for the past week or posted. Thank you Mrs. Hall for the sympathy, It:s going to be greatly needed in the challenges ahead! Anyway, I would like you all to know that I have advanced two bulkheads in completion from the front since the posting of the pictures. When I get back at the end of this month, I will yet again have no time as it is the start of my Sophmore year in highschool come the 3rd.
    After that update, I hope everyone has had a great summer break; and for those out of school, enjoy the summer break of life! (-work hours and traffic jams!)
    Bye!
    Private Morningstar

Alexander John Cooley
    well if not already here are some nice deck plans and they are very accurate too.
    http://secured.titanichistoricalsoci...cific=jprnnnn8

Alexander,

For $39.95 that seems reasonable!

Alexander John Cooley
    Russell Yesterday I have got them in the mail and they are very nice and a real must have. I have a friend in Vegas that I am wanting to get them for as well but right now I am at the last stretch of my resources.

Hello again everyone!
    Well, I am almost done with my Sophomore year, an I am ashamed to say that I had to abandon G Deck for the reason of a serious error on my part which would have made me redo the entire model. Disheartening yes, but when one door closes, a window opens! I am currently working on the Boat Deck and am almost done. I have only the last 1/3rd of the deck to finish up and I can make the roof and be done!
    Happy days!
    Clark

Jeff Brebner
    Has anyone else seen the Lego Titanic at the Vancouver Science Center?

I am gearing up to build a museum quality lego titanic, a lifelong dream, to hopefully be completed for the 100th anniversary of the sinking. It will be minifigure scale eg 882 studs long equaling 22'10" at the exact scale 1:38.68 for a minifigure.

I am waiting to acquire the ship magnificent 3rd edition when it comes out, along with the beveridge deck plan, hahn hull plan and art’s rigging plan.

I am building the outer shell only, but in a way faithfull to the original to allow for interiors later. The frame will be technic beams pinned together with rough plates covered in smooth plates to get the exact hull design sweep, sheer and tumblehome as per Ed Diment’s HMS Hood and the Yamato build. It will come apart in 10 inch cross sections for transporting and eventual interior views. I am thinking of building Southampton Ocean Dock terminal too and the tugs to sit on a false sea bolted to the load line of the hull.

There are enough plates and bricks available on bricklink.com to make this a reality at a reasonable price.

Hey Jeff,

I've seen Scott Fowler's minifigure representation on the internet at vancouver and also the 1:100 scale beauty lego model at vancouver on flickr. I might have at go at doing this 1:100 myself before attempting the 1:38.68 minifigure scale model as i've been out of the lego business for 9 years!

regards Nick, UK

Jeff Brebner
    Good luck! I wish I had the patience to do that kind of work!

Take a look on my Lego Titanic, it is one of the largest and best in the world. Not so detailed though but my fifth generation will be at least twice as big and with accurate details.

Picture

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AT...ipofdreams.jpg

Gallery

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=374260

Btw. how do i add an image to my comment?
    i guess i have to be a paying user.

Super Moderator
    Hello Alexander,

Welcome aboard.

Currently, the upload image feature is down. But, hopefully it will be back up soon.
    Jason D. Tiller

Dear Viewers,

Again I am posting, and I know it has been several years since, and I am now a senior in High School. As an update on my model progress, I am done with the Boat Deck, done with the Promenade Deck minus some tweaks, and have already outlined B Deck. While I don't have any pictures now, I will try to get some up in due time.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Til next we post!
    Clark

Hey Members,

Its Clark again, if... you haven't read the side name. Hm. I am now out of High School, and am heading to the wide world of Temple University in Philadelphia from Oregon. A big step, but I have high hopes.
    In terms of the model, I have gone far enough in its completion to post something worth seeing. So, without further ado, here are the mostly-done Boat Deck through C Deck. It is currently over 31 feet long, over 3 1/2 feet wide, and a little over a foot in height currently.
    It still has a million years to go, but its a great improvement from earlier versions. Once I finish what decks there are now, I will begin on D Deck and going down. So far, each deck has all the rooms in them with no exception based on several plans, but C Deck I made with only the back near the library and the forecastle and poop deck areas. But if I were to incorporate rooms, I have to rip apart the sides! Argh!
    Have a pleasant rest of your summer everyone!
    Clark
    View Image
    View Image
    View Image

Clark. Your Titanic is looking very great. I do hope to see this thing finished and decked out.

All the best!
    Alex

Hey Alex,
    I do thank you for your post! It's good to know this posting isn't entirely dead. I am hoping so too, but I found out as I was building that EVERYTHING on B Deck doesn't match up with anything else, and I was mostly done with the walls! So I am waiting for the patience to rip that apart and start anew.
    Cheers!

Wow these are all fantastic! I wish I had the ability to do any kind of a model like that! Titanic models (or any other kind of building-type model) must be hard to do because of how exact they have to be. How excellent these are! Also Clark, welcome to Pennsylvania- I am from Elizabethtown (somewhat close to hershey). Amazing Models! Keep working on it! Can't wait to see more!
    "Any art worthy of its name should address life, man, nature, death and tragedy." - Barnett Newman