Titanic forum and community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Clive Palmer's planned Titanic II

This discussion on "Clive Palmer's planned Titanic II" is in the Titanic News section; Reading up on it, I'd say the project has silently bit the dust. The last ...

Reading up on it, I'd say the project has silently bit the dust. The last word on it was months ago and it was saying the project was years behind schedule and never got past the promotion phase. Given that, I'd say promoting the project was more important than actually doing it. It's just another live Jurassic Park for Palmer.

It's a shame. I would have gone on board.

Wow! Is this really on the level?

Yahoo News reports today that Clive Palmer's Titanic 11 is expected to set sail in 2018. This is really good news because, as most climate change analysts know, by 2018 there will no longer be any icebergs around to sink her. Where can I book passage?

Now that his political career has somewhat faded from the spotlight, he might have more time to get this project back on track! Still, i'll believe it when I see it.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Titanic 2018

Hi folks :-)
    We write from Italy, we are a group of Titanic passionate and we have just opened a new site
    We are working on TITANIC II news. As you know probably the first voyage will start on 2018
    and so we are updating this new site

www.titanic2018.com

Thanks to our friend Jason Ferrante in Australia will be able to have something exclusive images and probably some very exclusive preview for TICKET SALE and GENERAL "1st Voyage" INFOs

Stay tuned and please, the website as you see now it's just to take the domain name and go indexed on google, it's a kind of "under construction" page, but we need some news to get indexed.
    I will post here when the main site will go online

Thanks and visit us for exclusive TITANIC II material
    www.titanic2018.com

So just to be clear, are you connected to Clive Palmer's project or are you enthusiasts?

I'm connecetd with Jason Ferrante, a man "near" Clive Palmer staff, I can't tell so much, you know, but really 2018 will be the year we are all waiting for :-)

Tell us when the keel is laid. Otherwise, spare us.

My thoughts exactly, Doug.

Cheers,
    Adam.

The Queen Mary 2 took 2 years from laying down the keel to first voyage so they need to get a bit of a move on if they intend to sail the Titanic 2 in 2018.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lawes View Post
    The Queen Mary 2 took 2 years from laying down the keel to first voyage so they need to get a bit of a move on if they intend to sail the Titanic 2 in 2018.
    Rob.
    A long time ago, I was involved a bit in shipbuilding. Add to that two years, time required for detailed design and engineering, procurement of long-lead-time equipment and material, negotiation of a firm price with a shipyard, and arranging of financing. Various design approvals will be needed from the ship's proposed country of registry and from insurance companies.

Initial commercial operation in 2018 is a pipe dream. Well, actually, the whole idea is a pipe dream, in my opinion.

The idea of building Titanic II is like the Loch Ness Monster, which comes up every few years - except for Titanic II, it is more frequent, at least on internet sites like this one.

Absolutely Doug.

I've been involved in the entry into service of Warships and your are spot on with the length of time it takes to get to the point of even thinking about laying down. In the military you can add several more years to your time frame due to budget changes, re-designs, equipment becoming obsolete before it's even fitted etc etc etc.

Rob. L

I've probably given the impression that I'm very negative towards Clive Palmer's plan in this thread and very dismissive of it, which is true to a point but I should clarify that I would like to see a replica of the ship at some stage - just that it's one of those things that comes up fairly regularly and yet nothing ever comes of it. One of the main issues is, following on from Rob's comment about equipment becoming obsolete in the process, that a 'Titanic II' would have to be, by necessity, vastly different from the original Titanic in order to even be allowed to sail anywhere. The décor could be similar, the menus could be similar and the entertainment could be similar, but as far as the actual design and safety of the ship goes, much has changed in the last century and a bit! So it's worth bearing that in mind. Given this, perhaps a replica which doesn't sail would be more realistic?

Cheers,
    Adam.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123