Titanic forum and community
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Clive Palmer's planned Titanic II

This discussion on "Clive Palmer's planned Titanic II" is in the Titanic News section; guys, while i disagree with u guys quite a bit, i love the fact that ...

guys, while i disagree with u guys quite a bit, i love the fact that I'm on a board with people who love the great ship as much as i! and I'm ashamed of myself i didn't find this board much sooner! As i said b4, as long as this ship is close enough, ill be happy! And I'm going to fully support this being built! we just disagree thats all. It could totally fail money wise (meaning it doesn't make a dime). IDC, if it gives me the chance to go on the titanic (or a close approximation of it) then I'm totally blissfully happy!

i said this in the other post and ill say it here. I want it done. yes i know all about the MANY compromises that will need to be made. But like the cameron film, if its close enough, ill take it. Cause honestly, its utterly depressing knowing ill never get a chance to sail on the ship i love so most. such is the way of life and time i suppose. But if i can sail on a replica or a ship thats close enough alike for it, ill be beyond happy! So, go get that ship built. Cause if he doesn't do it ill have to find a way too...

It's a bit confusing having two Titanic II threads on this site. Not sure whether anyone has already given this link to Palmer's press conference video: BBC News - Australian billionaire Clive Palmer to build Titanic II

In 1966, I travelled on the P&O Iberia from Singapore to Southampton. We had a tiny internal cabin with 4 bunks, two on each side, it felt right above the engines - i couldn't sleep for nights after we arrived - it was so quiet!. You kept your bags underneath the lower bunks and just used the room to sleep in. The toilets and showers were down the corridor and were not pleasant when we went through rough weather. We were on the ship for 3 weeks - i had a great time, but you made your own entertainment.

To be authentic, Palmer would have to replicate the Titanic's accommodations, otherwise, it would just be a floating Titanic theme park. A friend emailed me with another angle I hadn't thought of:
    Oh groan (re Titanic II)... that's in really poor taste, actually. No way would I sail on that - not because I'm superstitious, but because it's just so disrespectful to all those who lost their lives, or their loved ones, on the original.

If that ship ever will be built and captures the spirit of the real Titanic, it would be a nice experience. But I think it's harder to make it come true than to make plans for it. And would (ordinary) people afford to cruise on Titanic 2? I think the building of Titanic 2 would cost extremely much. So much that if you want to get on that ship you have to be amongst the richest people on Earth. So I believe that us "ordinary" people will never get the chance of experiencing the spirit of the Titanic...

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    Oh groan (re Titanic II)... that's in really poor taste, actually. No way would I sail on that - not because I'm superstitious, but because it's just so disrespectful to all those who lost their lives, or their loved ones, on the original.
    I remember someone once, as a joke, suggesting that they make an Olympic 2 to skirt around that

Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I remember someone once, as a joke, suggesting that they make an Olympic 2 to skirt around that
    Well, that would really be a cheap trick, as the majority of people think of Titanic when they see photos of the Olympic.

I for the life of me, don't see how building another titanic, is at all disrespectful to those lost. Take the world trade center for an example. There building a brand new beautiful one in manhattan, one world trade center just became the tallest building in the city...point is, no one i know sees them rebuilding on that site disrespectful at all. Sure, theres the argument of weather they should have built it exactly or not, which i can see there point of view on but i thing would be counter productive in a way cause then they wouldn't strive to do something better....but rebuilding there isn't viewed as disrespectful at all. Its actually honoring the memory of the people lost there BY REBUILDING.

Now granted, titanic and world trade center are two different events. One was a accident, the other outright murder, but people still died at both. I never understood this morbid point of view where, oh someone died here, lets seal this area off, leave it as a hole in the ground or a sunken wreck, and wash our hands of the matter... thats admitting death and defeat and in a way to me at least is the worse possible way of honoring the dead because your viewing the dead as they are, not as they were. Im 100% positive that if you could talk to dead victims of both titanic or world trade center, they would want you to honor there memories with LIFE! rebuild and recreate and remember the greatest parts of there life.

Its amazing how, well to be honest kinda depressing some of you guys perspectives are. The titanic should be remembered as alive. Sailing the ocean. Sure her sinking and death is important, and its very important to learn why it happened and how to not make it happen again....but idk and maby its just me, seeing the ship rebuilt and on the seas again, to me is the perfect way to honor those lost, because your giving those memories new life again. those memories aren't just facts in a book or a faded sunken wreck anymore there a living tangible thing, and future generations would be able to walk the decks of a a recreated ship and stand on the spot where there lives for good or ill were changed and it would just connect so much more with people on a truly deep and emotional point

but thats just my view!

>>I for the life of me, don't see how building another titanic, is at all disrespectful to those lost.<<

I can't speak to whether or not it would be disrespectful. Something like that is a supremely subjective matter of opinion.

I can say that building a replica of the ship which is faithful to the original in every respect not only isn't practical or economically viable, it's literally downright illegal. The woodwork alone would give any fire inspector a screaming fit.

I'm sorry, but for me, the difference between the real Titanic and a modern simulated/themed/re-imagined version would be the difference between Kim Kardashian and Catherine Deneuve.

I was curious about the shipyard that is contracted to build it. Maybe the website hasn't been updated recently, but it doesn't say anything about them building passenger ships before. They do build large ships, and maybe that's what is important, though it seems odd to me. I'd think if this project went forward they would have to bring in quite a few outside people to outfit the interiors. Welcome to JinLing Shipyard
    Writer with 2 names-my own and my pen name- Lia Garret

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast