Jackal

While Titanic was outfitting, Jackal served as an auxiliary vessel moored alongside, her generator providing light and power aboard the ship for the outfitting workers. Also used as a yard tug.

Port of Registry Belfast
Flag of Registry British
Funnel buff
Company Flag Dark blue burgee with a white star
Signal letters H G W T
Iron hull, 1 funnel, single screw
Engines: Compound: 2 cyl. 30” x 60” x 30” stroke 164 NHP
Tonnages: gross 168 underdeck 150 net 3
Dimensions: length 92.1 width 21.1 depth 12.0

1885 Built and engineered by J. Redhead & Co., South Shields Yard No. 211
1885 Built for W. & T. Jolliffee and launched as William Jolliffee
1905 Purchased from the Admiralty by Harland & Wolff. Renamed Jackal.
Ex. Woodcock, ex. William Jolliffee, ex Admiralty screw tug


© 2004 John P. Eaton all rights reserved.
This item first appeared in Voyage, Journal of the Titanic International Society.

Relates to Place:
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Contributor
Shelley Dziedzic

Cite this page
(2004) Jackal Voyage (ref: #4238, accessed 3rd August 2015 07:37:08 AM) URL : http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/jackal.html

  • Leave a comment

  • Add a new story to Encyclopedia Titanica

  • Link to this article

    Link
    Please link to this page using the following URL
    http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/jackal.html

    Or copy the link text below

    Added to Encyclopedia Titanica Saturday 4th December 2004, last updated .