Nomadic

PDF Print

Nomadic

Voyage

Titanic Ships: the other ships of the Titanic story
Nomadic

One of the two tenders built especially to serve the needs of Olympic and Titanic at Cherbourg.

Nomadic and Traffic were registered under the French flag and managed by A. Laniece, later by George A. Laniece.

On 10 April 1912 Titanic arrived at Cherbourg from Southampton at 6:35 p.m. after a voyage of little more than five hours. After taking aboard mail and passengers, she departed at 8:1 p.m.

Boarding were 274 passengers: 142 First Class, 30 Second Class and 102 Third Class.

Owner: Oceanic Steam Navigation Co., Ltd. (White Star Line)
Signal letters: K L D C
Port of Registry: Cherbourg, France
Flag of registry: French
Funnel: Buff with black top
Company flag: Red swallow-tailed pennant with a white star
Steel hull, one funnel, one mast, two decks, twin screws
Tonnages: gross 1,273 net 814
Dimensions: length 220.7 ft. width 37.1 ft. depth 12.5 ft.
Engines: Compound 4 cyl (2) 13.5” (2) 27” x 18” stroke

1911

Built and engined by Harland and Wolff, Belfast Yard No. 422

April 25

Launched

May 27

Handed over to owner

May 29-30

Accompanied Olympic during her sea trials out of Belfast

May 31

Following launch of Titanic, departed Belfast the same time as Olympic (Olympic proceeded to Liverpool, Nomadic and Traffic went directly to Cherbourg).

Nov 13

Cherbourg, bow damaged by collision with American Line’s Philadelphia

1914-18

Requisitioned by the French government for service at Brest.

1927

Transferred to Cie Cherbourgeoise de Transbordment

1931

Nov 29

Cherbourg, bow damaged in a collision with Atlantic Transport liner Minnewaska

1934

After merger with Cunard, sold to the Societie Cherbougeoise de Remorquage et Sauvetage. Funnel change to red with black band at the top. Renamed Ingenieur Minard.

1940

Jul 3

Escaped from Cherbourg at the time of German occupation. Wartime service as an accommodation vessel in England.

1945

Jun 27

Returned to French owners, re-entered commercial service.

1970

The last vessel of the once-great White Star fleet, Nomadic was sold to Somairee for demolition at Havre, but was not destroyed. Used for many years as a restaurant, she remained anchored in the River Seine at Paris.

2003

April

Her superstructure removed to permit her passing under the River Seine bridges, Nomadic’s hull was pushed via tug to a boat yard at Le Havre where she awaits either purchase and restoration or demolition.

Relates to Place:
Cherbourg, Normandy, France

Relates to Ship:
Nomadic
Traffic

Acknowledgements
Photo: Mark Baber, USA

Contributor
Shelley Dziedzic
  • Leave a comment

  • Add a new story to Encyclopedia Titanica

  • Link and cite this article

    Link
    Please link to this page using the following URL
    http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/nomadic.html

    Or copy the link text below

    Cite
    If you need to cite this page please copy the following and adapt as necessary for your referencing system:
    (2005) NomadicVoyage (ref: #4685, accessed 24th July 2014 08:18:23 PM)
    URL : http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/nomadic.html

    Added to Encyclopedia Titanica Monday 22nd August 2005, last updated .