1:12 model---JJAstorII

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So this is my very first attempt at this on a professional scale. I've learned so very much along the way and Am already applying it to my next room The Reading and Writing Room.
Please note again I am no expert yet so please be nice and also I'm sure you know but this is really a combination of 5 of the suites in 1st class.
I'll post a link to my site when I have them up!

I made everything you see here but the carpet, some of the lights, and a few of the knick knacks I got from a lovely shop in a London

IMG_4550.JPG

IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4561.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

IMG_4576.JPG

IMG_4581.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
You done a fantastic job that would make Thomas Andrews proud. I also thought someone should build a 1:12 Scale Titanic dollhouse (or ship...)

Reactions: 1 user

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Are you planning on building the entire ship or just sections of her?
Just sections. So my plan is to do all the public rooms and then these staterooms and maybe other staterooms as well. Perhaps more specific ones like the entire Strauss Suite etc...

I've begun construction of the Reading and Writing room now. It's turning out really well so far and I already learned so much from the first experience that it's been very applicable to this next public room.

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all!

I've started my next miniature project! Make sure to check out my 1st Class Suite I just did!

I'm now working on the Reading & Writing room! I've posted some pics below but please feel free to check out my blog too at: Drew's Miniatures

I'm most proud of the ventilation system. I think it turned out looking perfect. I also learned how to bend wood for the first time for the Bay Windows haha!

imgID105142871.jpg.gallery.jpg

building columns and start of wall mouldings.jpg

Start of the alcove.jpg

Ventilation System.jpg

window making.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
This is going to look great! I never knew the room had hidden ventilation ducts in them either! This just shows how clever the Titanic's Builders (and you) were at mixing style with efficiency.

Good luck!

Neil

Jun 20, 2015
United Kingdom
Brilliant! This looks fantastic!

I would just say that I made an Airfix model kit of HMS Victory once and instead of using the plastic sails provided, a friend recommended using silk because it is much thinner than other textiles which actually made the sails look more realistic. I thought that silk could be used for the curtains in JJ's room.

Having said that, his room looks remarkably realistic and very 'posh' anyway, I also think it is and looks pretty expert to me.

Best wishes,

Neil.

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have started adding the fancier trims and appliques to the walls. I have some little fruit molds coming soon to add to these as the swags on the Titanic were fruits and leaves etc... Right now you just see the leaves. (The water glass holds little pieces of wood I don't wanna throw out :p )

The alcove is coming along nicely. I'm really happy with some of the inventive ways I've gotten around this difficult beast. It was such a unique design. Now, the question is do I add stairs? In the 1912 edition of Shipbuilder it describes the alcove as having a tiny step leading up to it to make it appear even more elegant and special. However, all photos don't show a step? However, most of the photos were from the Olympic in which the design COULD'VE varied...

Also, please ignore some of my horrible renderings on the walls. It's so I get a general idea of where stuff should be.

That's the desk I built in the background. I had to post this cause with the light at that time I think it looks so much like the Father Browne pic! So that means I'm doing a good job, right?

Till next time my fellow passengers!

IMG_4596.JPG

IMG_4598.JPG

IMG_4599.JPG

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
First, Again it looks great!

Secondly, Two questions:

1) Out of interest, are you going to put any hints or easter eggs to real events within the room? Like how Titanic Honor and Glory put a 1911 Kodak Camera and Ship Blueprints in Cabins A-36 and A-37?

2) Are you going to put a backdrop of the A-Deck Promenade behind the windows to create the illusion of space?

This is going to look amazing when completed...

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
First, Again it looks great!

Secondly, Two questions:

1) Out of interest, are you going to put any hints or easter eggs to real events within the room? Like how Titanic Honor and Glory put a 1911 Kodak Camera and Ship Blueprints in Cabins A-36 and A-37?

2) Are you going to put a backdrop of the A-Deck Promenade behind the windows to create the illusion of space?

This is going to look amazing when completed...
Heya! Thanks again!

Yea I do actually try to drop in some Easter Eggs. Like I'll probably put some known letters and books in there. Most important to me is accuracy. I've poured through pretty much any documents I can find. I've scaled it down to almost the exact measurements of the real Reading & Writing room via the blue prints; of course in 1:12 scale.

(I also decided to put in the stairs. I believe the Titanic had them. They've been described in several records; which is also fun, cause those stairs would be unique to just the Titanic of her sister ships.)

As doe the A-Deck Promenade in the back. That is something to consider. I hadn't thought of that actually but it would look really nice. The only thing is I LOVE how the natural light comes through the bay windows so I'd have to figure it out where it could still be exposed to sunlight with that backdrop. Maybe a gap or something to let in the light? Decisions!!

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Yea I do actually try to drop in some Easter Eggs. Like I'll probably put some known letters and books in there. Most important to me is accuracy. I've poured through pretty much any documents I can find. I've scaled it down to almost the exact measurements of the real Reading & Writing room via the blue prints; of course in 1:12 scale.

In Titanic Honor & Glory, they rumoured there might have been a copy of Morgan Robertson's book ''Futility'' (1898) which predicted the sinking (Then again, this would seem an odd book about disaster to put on a brand new ship). Glad to look forward to the Easter Eggs!

...I also decided to put in the stairs. I believe the Titanic had them. They've been described in several records; which is also fun, cause those stairs would be unique to just the Titanic of her sister ships...

What Stairs?

As doe the A-Deck Promenade in the back. That is something to consider. I hadn't thought of that actually but it would look really nice. The only thing is I LOVE how the natural light comes through the bay windows so I'd have to figure it out where it could still be exposed to sunlight with that backdrop. Maybe a gap or something to let in the light? Decisions!!

A Possibility would be to add the ceiling windows that poke up from the Boat Deck, Then again, you already added the pillar and roof support so it might be too much. Don't let me ruin it, it already looks set to be awesome!

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Forgive me for sounding rude, but what stairs are you referring to? This Website's Plans by Bruce Beveridge show no stairs in the room. Again, sorry if I sound rude.
Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 21.03.34.png

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Forgive me for sounding rude, but what stairs are you referring to? This Website's Plans by Bruce Beveridge show no stairs in the room. Again, sorry if I sound rude.View attachment 3280
Oh no not rude at all! So I found the stairs in Shipbuilder the book for the Olympic and Titanic. In there they describe the Reading and Writing Room with step up stairs to make it seem even more elegant. It's also reflected in the drawing they include. So I wonder if the Titanic had stairs there where maybe the Olympic didn't. Or maybe it was a plan that never followed through? Do we know which photos are authentically From Titanic?

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Oh no not rude at all! So I found the stairs in Shipbuilder the book for the Olympic and Titanic. In there they describe the Reading and Writing Room with step up stairs to make it seem even more elegant. It's also reflected in the drawing they include. So I wonder if the Titanic had stairs there where maybe the Olympic didn't. Or maybe it was a plan that never followed through? Do we know which photos are authentically From Titanic?

Ohhhhhhhh so that's what you mean...

In theory, it would make sense as the room was very high, but unlike the Lounge next door, that poked up onto the Boat Deck with a raised roof and you would't want people to hit their heads...

I wonder if Honor and Glory know about this? If so, maybe they are saving it for the game. A good idea might be to check later Reading and Writing rooms on White Star Ships of the 1920's or 30's. Since we know they added improvements to Titanic and later Britannic, it certainly possbile.

To be safe, try to check if Olympic had this installed in later refits or if any Wreck photos / Videos shows it so.

Thanks for clearing that up!