10 Favorite Liners

B

Brent Holt

What are your 10 favorites liners of all time?
Here are mine:
1. Olympic
2. Aquitania
3. Mauretania
4. Normandie
5. Leviathan
6. Queen Mary
7. Britannic (III)
8. Majestic (II)
9. United States
10. America (1940)

D

Daniel Odysseus

1. Titanic
2. Queen Mary 2 (coming soon... can't wait...)
3. Britannic II
4. Olympic
5. Lusitania
6. QE2
7. Queen Mary
8. Mauretania
9. Queen Elizabeth
10. Oceanic III (never built)

-D.O.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
1. Titanic
2. Britannic
3. Olympic
4. Lusitania
5. Empress of Ireland
6. Queen Mary
7. Mauretania
8. QE2 (I'll be on it in a few weeks!)
9. Queen Mary 2 (can't wait either)
10. Queen Elizabeth

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
1.Titanic
2.Andrea Doria
3.Olympic
4.Lusitania
5.Normandie
6.Britannic
7.Poseidon (hee hee hee)
8.In no particular order all the other greats that are no longer with us...(sorry for the cop out!

Cheers.
Matthew L.

Apr 11, 2001
Hope somebody makes a pie chart or something out of this thread!
1. Mauretania (4 stacks)
2. Olympic
3. Lusitania
4. Titanic
5. Kronzprinzessin Cecilie
6. 1912 France
7. Ile de France (with 3 stacks)
8. Normandie
9. Imperator (With silly eagle)
10. Rex

Apr 23, 2002
1. Olympic
2. Mauretania (I)
3. Aquitania
4. Titanic
5. Britannic (II)
6. Lusitania
7. Britanis
8. Carpathia
9. United States
10. Queen Mary

There is something appealing to me about liners which have had a long and venerable career. I cant explain really tho!

B

Brent Holt

I also prefer the ships that were in service long enough to develop a "personality." The Titanic, Britannic II, and Lusitania do not meet this qualification. I also prefer ships that did not go to the bottom of the ocean.
Brent

N

Nathan Good

My list would probably look something like this:

Olympic
Aquitania
Titanic
Mauretania (1)
Lusitania
Berengaria
Majestic (formerly Bismarck)
Queen Mary
Queen Elizabeth
Normandie

I too find the long carreers of the liners interesting, but still consider the stories of the less fortunate, such as the Titanic and Lusitania, to be very interesting. They are important parts of ocean liner 'culture'and both ships made contributions in their own ways. Afterall, the Lusitania did have a thriving carreer until her untimely demise.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Oceanic II
Medic
Lusitania
Olympic
Oceanic I
Aquitania
Queen Mary
Normandie
Baltic II
Celtic II

M

Matthew O'Brien

Titanic
Lusitania
Normandie
France
Rex
Queen Mary
Bremen
Mauretania
Paris
Andrea Doria

This was a great idea for a discussion; these are in no particular order.

Matt

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Titanic
Olympic
Britannic (II)
Lusitania
Mauretania
Aquitania
Carpathia
Waratah
Queen Mary
Queen Elizabeth

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Now that I've had a bit of time to think about it, here is the rest of my list. I'm going to cheat a bit, but hey, who's counting?

8.Europa and her sister Africa, of the Italian Lloyd Triestino Line. The reasons are entirely personal - thanks for the memories of places I had never seen before and will probably never see again.

9.Those dashing heroines of the sea: Carpathia (ugly little chugalong that she was) and Ile de France, who deserved a more noble ending.

10.Michelangelo and Rafaelo. Beautiful names for stunning sisters, sadly born into a world which no longer needed them. Only Italians could turn a ship's funnel into a work of art.

Okay, so I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic. I'm allowed to be, I'm Italian!!

Now where did I put that Kleenex...

Dec 4, 2000
How come nobody mentioned the Seeandbee? Or, has the world's largest sidewheel passenger ship been forgotten just because it went to war as an aircraft carrier?

-- David G. Brown

Jan C. Nielsen

Dec 12, 1999
1. Great Eastern
2. Normandie
3. Rotterdam V
4. Queen Mary
5. United States
6. Mauretania
7. Titanic
8. Bremen IV
9. Queen Elizabeth
10. Andrea Doria

I haven't been on the QE2 or, obviously, QM2, so I can't comment on them.

B

Brian Hawley

In order with most favorite at the top.

1. Caronia of 1949
2. Olympic
3. Queen Mary
4. Mauretania
5. Aquitania
6. Normandie
7. Queen Elizabeth
8. Majestic of 1889
9. Oceanic 1899
10. Titanic

Check out my web site on the Caronia and Olympic at:
www.bytenet.net/rmscaronia

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Shelley’s wish is my command! (It’s not a pie chart, but it’s the best I can do.)

The league table (as at circa Midnight GMT) is below. I have made a few assumptions which are listed below; please tell me if I’ve made a mistake. Also, apologies in advance for the spelling mistakes I’m bound to have made!

Assumptions:

(1) I haven’t “graded” the votes — each vote counts as one, notwithstanding someone putting a ship as #1 or #10 on their personal list.

(2) I have assumed that those voting for “Britannic” without specifying a number are voting for Britannic 2 (Titanic’s sister).

Regards,
Paul.

<table border=1>[tr][td]SHIP[/td][td]RANKING[/td][td]VOTES CAST [/td][/tr][tr][td]Africa[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]America(1940)[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Andrea Doria[/td][td]10th Equal[/td][td]4 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Aquitania[/td][td]7th[/td][td]8 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Baltic[/td][td]15th Equal[/td][td]2 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Belgenland[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Berengaria[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Bremen II[/td][td]15th Equal[/td][td]2 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Bremen IV[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Britanis[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Britannic II[/td][td]8th Equal[/td][td]6 (3 voting for “Britannic”) [/td][/tr][tr][td]Britannic III[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Canberra[/td][td]15th Equal[/td][td]2 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Caronia[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Carpathia[/td][td]10th Equal[/td][td]4 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Celtic II[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Ceramic[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Empress of Ireland[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Europa[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]France (1912)[/td][td]15th Equal[/td][td]2 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Germanic[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Great Eastern[/td][td]15th Equal[/td][td]2 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Ile de France (3 stacks)[/td][td]13th Equal[/td][td]3 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Imperator[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Kronzprinzessen Cecilie[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Leviathan[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Lusitania[/td][td]5th Equal[/td][td]11 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Majestic I[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Majestic II (Bismarck)[/td][td]15th Equal[/td][td]2 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Mauretania[/td][td]2nd Equal[/td][td]12 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Medic[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Michelangelo[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]New York[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Normandie[/td][td]5th Equal[/td][td]11 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Oceanic I[/td][td]15th Equal[/td][td]2 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Oceanic II[/td][td]15th Equal[/td][td]2 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Oceanic III[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Olympic[/td][td]1st[/td][td]13 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Paris[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Poseidon[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Queen Elizabeth[/td][td]8th Equal[/td][td]6 [/td][/tr][tr][td]QE II[/td][td]13th Equal[/td][td]3 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Queen Mary[/td][td]2nd Equal[/td][td]12 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Queen Mary II[/td][td]15th Equal[/td][td]2 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Rafaelo[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]All the other Ninja Turtles[/td][td]Last[/td][td]0 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Rex[/td][td]15th Equal[/td][td]2 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Rotterdam V[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Seeandbee[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Titanic[/td][td]2nd Equal[/td][td]12 [/td][/tr][tr][td]United States[/td][td]10th Equal[/td][td]4 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Waratah[/td][td]25th Equal[/td][td]1[/td][/tr][/table]