News 10 mistakes that sunk Titanic: Crew were left without binoculars as iceberg approached - Belfast Telegraph

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
Just watched this documentary as it was broadcast on Channel 5 in the UK a few weeks ago.

There were a few familiar faces to long standing users of ET in Tim Matlin and Alex Churchill but the same old myths were peddled as true.

The programs mythology included Jack Phillips being awake for 2 days prior to the collision and Californian thinking Titanic's rockets were a firework display because there was no convention for distress signal use. Fred Barrett was in charge of the effort to counter the flooding in boiler room 5 apparently.

It's extremely frustrating that people who should and in some cases definitely do, know better, still peddle these half truths and untruths.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Just watched this documentary as it was broadcast on Channel 5 in the UK a few weeks ago.

There were a few familiar faces to long standing users of ET in Tim Matlin and Alex Churchill but the same old myths were peddled as true.

The programs mythology included Jack Phillips being awake for 2 days prior to the collision and Californian thinking Titanic's rockets were a firework display because there was no convention for distress signal use. Fred Barrett was in charge of the effort to counter the flooding in boiler room 5 apparently.

It's extremely frustrating that people who should and in some cases definitely do, know better, still peddle these half truths and untruths.
Don't know how your tv works there. Is that a BBC channel? We lost our BBC America channel here but sometimes those shows show up on PBS here. Yes agree with you. I had thought the whole binocular thing had been pretty well settled amongst the Titanic community...guess not.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
Don't know how your tv works there. Is that a BBC channel?
No, Channel 5 started in the late 90s and was the last Analogue channel on British TV. BBC1 and BBC2 are state owned, ITV and Channel 5 were purely commercial TV and Channel 4 is a mix of state and commercial funding. Everything is digital now so we have the usual 60 or 70 channels of high to extremely low quality. We do have PBS on some cable providers. Then there's the Discovery and Nat Geo channels.

As for the infamous Titanic myths, yeah I agree, the binoculars one and David Blair keeps coming up time and time again. It's so frustrating.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Aussies can see this on SBS at 8-30pm on Wednesday 29 July. Check your local times, but I think this applies to all states. It should later be on SBS On Demand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Jul 4, 2020
i think a lot of things went wrong that night, i don't think you can just blame one thing, i don't think she should of even set sail that week i don't believe she was 100% ready. Even taken that aside i think everything just went wrong that day to course the sinking