10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies of All Time

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Sorry, "prophesies" was probably the wrong word. Let's just say the movie intended, among other things, to serve a religious purpose as opposed to providing a historical account. <<

Perhaps. This time of year, religious themes tend to stand out and even the various documentary oriented channels get into the act. You might have noticed that on both Discovery and The History Channel, several presentations were made about the life of Yeshua Ben Yosef, aka, Jasus Christ.

I've done quite a bit of study about this period of history, so such shows have been of at least a marginal interest to me. I may have to look at them afresh but it won't happen for awhile since these shows go away when Easter does.

CGI'ing the chariot race in the '25 Ben-Hur (had it even been possible at the time) would have completely ruined it. Hurt or killed animals aside, that scene is one of the most breathtaking I've ever seen on film.

1) No shots are of miniatures. That stadium is full-scale and every spectator in the crowd is a real person.

2) The moving shots that show the race from the POV of the participants were probably mind-blowing at the time. As revelatory as the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park when it came out, I'm sure.

3) Aside from the final battle sequence in Napoleon, it's probably the most exhilarating sequence in any silent film.

Wonderful film...

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>1) No shots are of miniatures. That stadium is full-scale and every spectator in the crowd is a real person.

The lower half is real. The upper half is a hanging miniature! Footage of it is in Brownlow's Hollywood documentary. The 'people' were mounted on dowels, and could be made to rise and fall in their seats.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Jim, you are shattering our illusions. If you have proof positive that Robert Shaw wasn't swallowed by a real shark, or Cal wasn't wearing his own hair, I for one would rather not know.
smile.gif

May 3, 2005
>>Jim, you are shattering our illusions. If you have proof positive that Robert Shaw wasn't swallowed by a real shark, or Cal wasn't wearing his own hair, I for one would rather not know. <<

Or for that matter that Jack didn't really die and is now a centenarian-plus pool shark and girlie artist in Chippewa Falls.

Jun 12, 2004
. . . Or that the break was all computer-generated, or that the capstans on the poop deck were rubber, or that Fabrizio's accent wasn't real, or that Ruth became an erotic dancer . . .

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
What's wrong with being a centenarian-plus girlie artist? That's what I've been for the last 20 years. Never did get the hang of pool though. :)

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

What's wrong with being a centenarian-plus girlie artist? That's what I've been for the last 20 years. Never did get the hang of pool though. :)
I have, too.
wink.gif

As for pool, I've been playing since I was 16, even hustled.

The only thing I am not (although I feel it at times) is a centenarian like Bob, hehe.​

P

Phil Fazzini

HOw about "Titanic" a 4 hour boring soap opera; or "Titanic" with George C. Scott as Captain Smith????