1912 Height and Weight

Aly Jones

Nov 22, 2008
Australia
Hi Steven,

What charts were you speaking off?

Of the four known officers that had thier weight recorded after titanic sinking, I weigh heavier than them at 69 kgs. I'm only 5 foot 4.

Nov 14, 2005
Theres actually a thread on this subject. Link below. I will see later if I can find the charts I was looking at. There was a differance but it wasn't as large I was expecting. But in relation to my lifeboat curiousity the data might be apples an oranges. I think you would have to take in other factors that might skew the data. For example people who go on vacation on cruise ships today probably don't look much like the people who go vaction to climb Mt. Everest or shoot the rapids down the Grand Canyon. So the people on cruise ships might tend to favor more on one end of the scale than the others. But overall if I remember right the average between 1912 and 2012 was only like 10 lbs differance. I remember I was expecting it be greater.

IcySofter

Nov 2, 2020
Take captain Smith all the way to Officer Moody, 7 men roughly the same height and weight as each other. You can find the stats under- (Murdoch) (find it on here somewhere) those men are roughly the same build, height, weight. Very slim, very light - average weight is around 58 kgs - 68 kgs and their average height was around 5 foot 7 to 5 foot 9 - (only 2 were 6 foot) although slim build . Today's Standards that's small. Most men today weigh over 100kgs and stand around 6 foot plus.

Even Looking at the grand-stair case gives me cloasterphobic.
I understand this reply is late, (March 2021) but I was on the replica Grand Staircase in the Titanic exhibit in Las Vegas in 2019 and it felt quite roomy. I've no doubt it was perfectly adequate for the ship, aside from when it was in use as an escape route,

Reactions: 1 user