1912 Senate Inquiry Unabridged version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Somebody asked where to get a copy of the big hardbound version of the U.S. Senate disaster hearings, and I've misplaced the thread.

This book is still a whopping $100, but well worth it, and is still avaiable through Amazon.com at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0886924294/qid=1009006011/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_15_8/102-7523777-5994515

It's 1163 pages long and is a 1998 reprint by Congressional Information Service, Inc. of the original 1912 version published by the Government Printing Office. The front cover reads "Titanic" Disaster, and the spine reads:
Wreck of the Steamship Titanic
62d Congress 2d Session 1911-1912

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Or, if you hurry, right now there's a used one up for only $85!

Merry Christmas, Mike!

Sep 5, 2001
My college library has been a government document depository since just before 1900, I think. Because of this, I've got the original hardbound book of the US Disaster hearings. Given the age of the book, it is still in great condition. The top was very dusty since it has sat on the shelf for so long. It has a hard beige cover with black lettering on the spine. There is nothing on the front or back cover expect for two semi-ornate black borders. One of the most interesting things about this document is the "Digest of Testimony" that appears in the back. It is an index of sorts, encompassing eleven pages. There are many subject headings. I'll post them if anyone is interested. It will be a sad day when I have to return this book upon graduation.

Nathan Robison

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Nathan:
What a great treasure your college has. The reprint that I mentioned that is available today also has the "Digest of Testimony" in the back. I'm interested in exactly how much of a copy this is. The reprint of the cover page has an oval stamp which reads
UNITED STATES
JAN 29 1913
SENATE LIBRARY
in the upper right corner by where it says Document No. 726. So, apparently the reprint was made from a copy that is deposited in the U.S. Senate. What does your original copy say?

Sep 5, 2001
I'm sure that the title page you mentioned is the same, but my copy does not have the stamp. The stamp that you see is on every government document that a depository library receives. Apparently, our library did something different in 1912. There is a "6167" written on the spine. I'm not sure if this was done by GPO or by someone at the library. There are shelves of these serials on the wall and the number may just be a way to keep them in order, since there are no call numbers or other identification on the book. The "Titanic" serial and all of the other serials are the same, even to this day. They have that non-descript cover, with the only identification being on the spine. The problem is finding them. Most libraries that receive government documents only put a fraction of them into their catalog.

I would imagine that the reprint is exactly the same since it the same number of pages as the original. Any typos have probably been corrected, but I haven't noticed any typos in the original copy.

Nathan Robison

Jan 7, 2002
The original uncut hardcover book pops up from time to time. On Ebay, or bookfinder.com

Prices usually range from $500 to $1200

There are also 3 smashing foldouts of the ice field

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Glad I got mine from the publisher for "only" $100 then.
wink.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Tarn - by 'original uncut hardcover book', do you mean a first edition? Or any hardbound, unabridged edition (my reprint, for example, is 1998)? I ordered a copy from Amazon.com a couple of years ago and it came in at or under US$100 - took them a few months to get it, but I do like a well-bound, portable copy.

~ Inger

Sep 5, 2001
I'm not sure how many "uncut" editions actually exist of the 1912 printing (I would question the authenticity of such a thing). Those hardbound serials were sent to government document depositories or to someone who wished to purchase them.

Today, many of the publications issued by the government are "short." There are not enough for all of the depository libraries. No additional copies can be obtained. In addition to this, the government goes through a series of "purges," where depository libraries are given the opportunity to select from documents that are going to be disposed. I'm not sure what becomes of the documents after they are purged. They might be offered to the public. The Titanic serials were most likely "purged" by 1915 or at least before the conclusion of WWI.

Since there aren't many depository libraries (I suppose there were even fewer in 1912) there couldn't have been an extensive production of the hardbound serial.

I've outlined many of the differences between the original and the reprint above, but I'll point out that the title page in the 1912 edition that I have is NOT the same that is found in the reprint or in the compilation edited by Kuntz. The first page in the original edition indicates which congressional session the document is derived from and which Senate Documents volume it is in.

Are the foldouts of the icefield not included in the reprint?

I agree with Inger that it makes a good, portable investment. It is really not as unwieldy as one would suspect.

Nathan R.

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
I have a friend who owns a small press and is intrigued with the idea of reprinting the entire Senate and BOT inquiries in book form. I know what a pain it is to get a markupable (is that a word?) copy from downloading, having just done so. He says it is feasible if the print run is over a thousand. Would you buy these if available?

Mar 18, 2000
Print copies are already available, as far as I know. I ordered a printed copy of the US from the Congressional Information Service (pulled that name way off the back of my brain) back in '97 or so, as far as I know, they still sell them.

As far as printing a copy from downloads, well then depending where you get it from, you may be infringing on the rights of the download site itself.

Oct 13, 2000
I would agree completely with Bill, that you are possibly breaking all kinds of copyright laws if you were to publish your own version of this book without proper authorizations. as the GPO still offers this book for sale, I think that means that the copyright has not expired. please tell your friend to research this carefully before they consider printing up their own version.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jan 7, 2002
A gem in my Titanic book collection is an original 1912 "US Senate Titanic Hearings" book.

Back in 99'on a TI cruise to halifax, I noticed someone had a recently printed hardcover US Senate Titanic Hearings book.

Now Im not refering to the heavily edited version found in paperback-and occasionally hardcover-that can be readily found at bookstores, but it was a government printed, plain, blue bound book that had the complete US Senate hearings.
(Not to be confused with the blue bound Brit Titanic inquiry book, available at the Brit Public records office).

Is there a US government link where I can find this unedited hardcover reprint of the US Senate Hearings book?
There are things I want to highlight, but I won't do such in my 1912 original...
regards

Tarn Stephanos

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Tarn

The Hearings Can Be Purchased From Documents on Demand, If You Want I Can Give you Some info There, or if you Have Molony's Book on the Californian Simply Refer to the Bibliography. Im Not Sure Whether or not it's Hardcover as I Don't Yet Have A copy.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The copy I have I bought from an outfit called the Congressional Research Service. I don't know if they still offer it, but mine was a hardbound copy and contains the complete transcript and appendices but oddly enough, it doesn't have the final report.

Sep 5, 2001
Michael,

The original hardbound serial does not have the final report. The final report is found in another serial that is several numbers down from the 'Titanic' investigation (these documents are grouped by sessions and months - the final report came some time after the testimony had been concluded). I was fortunate enough to have access to both originals - US testimony and final report - while writing my senior paper.

--NR

Jun 4, 2000
Tarn, I've moved your post and replies in to the existing thread. It's about time it was revived

Nathan, thanks for the information regarding the hardbound publication not including the report. That's the sort to thing I need to remember to cross reference with Michael Tennaro's site before spending serious money. I still don't have a full copy of the Senate enquiry in book form, as I've been relying on the online version. (Instead, I blew my money on the BoT publication.)

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I'm going to have to check my reprint when I'm at home, as I have a sneaky suspicion that the final report is included in more recent hardbound editions. Certainly it includes statements by Senator Smith and others when the final report was handed down.

Jan 7, 2002
My thanks to the moderator who fused my question with this poste..It helps cut down on repetition, and as I overlooked this older thread, my question fit perfectly within...
All my questions are answered..

Thanks!

regards

tarn Stephanos

Status
Not open for further replies.