1912 Titanic Film Found In Shed

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
In case this hasn't already been reported:

Today's Daily Express (31st August 2004) is carrying an article with the above headline. Obviously, I cannot reproduce the full article due to copyright restrictions. However, I believe I am allowed to reproduce some key quotes, and they are as follows:

"Historic images of survivors...have been unearthed after being left at the back of a garden shed."

"...pictures showing men and women trudging off the rescue ship Carpathia..."

"One shot shows some escapees, still wearing life jackets, telling their stories to a reporter after arriving in New York." [Still wearing life jackets? Only for the benefit of the camera, surely.]

"Another includes Quartermaster Robert Hitchens, who was steering at the time of the disaster..."

Paraphrasing now, the article goes on to state that the film, along with a second-class passenger list featuring [allegedly] three previously unrecorded people, will be put up for auction in Devizes, Wiltshire on 18th September. It is expected to reach a five-figure sum. The article also shows three photos, allegedly taken from the film. Two photos are of survivors and one is of Quartermaster Hitchens and an unknown man.

Upon request, I should be pleased to email a scan of the article to individual ET members.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
From what I've seen of the 'stills' published in various tabloids, I think this film is an original cinema copy of the British Pathe newsreel which is available from the company's archive (ie it's not new footage). The quartermaster identified as 'Hitchens' doesn't look much like other photos of the man. He seems to be talking to a New York cop in uniform.

C

Christina Rindt

Paul,
I have this film and runs for 30 mins. The film looks the part but nothing really new, otherwise, looks authentic. KingFisher Productions produce it. Got it on Amazon.
Christina

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Re the value/importance/rarity of the film in question, and the accuracy or otherwise of the Daily Express article:

I confess I have no knowledge or interest either way. I posted the above information solely for the benefit of those who might be interested. What is of more interest to me is the article's inference that, in addition to this film, a second-class passenger list was discovered that details: "...three previously unrecorded people..."

FWIW, the existence of this film has also been mentioned on TV today; namely the BBC childrens' news programme: "Newsround". [Insert amusing comment here.]

C

Christina Rindt

Hi Paul R,
It's good news about the footage especially if it isn't covered by this other film - also found in a shed.
The media report shows almost the same footage and is perhaps another copy? The lifejacket situation is about Carpathia crew putting them on for the benefit of the reporters, showing how the Titanic crew were rescued, the crew I guess were loathe to talk about their experience at the time.
I watched the film again and the news edition and both were quite similar - insofar as I could make head or tail of the news media one. (I haven't got v.good reception).
It was good to watch the Titanic being built and more information on the Olympic. But to see original moving pictures of Titanic's forecastle as it was and how it is now is, for me, quite moving....
If this new film has anything more to add I will get a copy on distribution.
Anyway, thanks for the information Paul, it was a good excuse to watch the film again! ;)

C

Christina Rindt

Thank you Noel, things look a lot clearer now. Can I take my foot out of my mouth now?
happy.gif

(Think I'm starting symptoms of 'knee-jerk-reaction syndrome!)
Ta! Christina

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Wasn't the stuff found in a shed some years ago? I seem to remember something of this kind in around 1997-98.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Yes, it was released on Amazon as "The Lost Film of the Titanic" except.... it wasn't. Copies have existed for years, (this was found in a garden shed after the discoverer had a dream that her late husband told her to look there) - and excerpts have been seen on, amongst others, the National Geographic video.

You're right, the UK find was c.1997/8.

Of course, at least in the UK, the reviewers were gushing about this.

Cheers

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

The footage referred to in the first post of this thread can be viewed on video if you visit http://www.cbsnews.com , select the FREE VIDEO section and then type Titanic into the search box (fastest way to find it). You'll come across a video entitled "New Titanic Footage Unsealed | September 2, 2004 09:30:09 There are new pictures that bring the Titanic tragedy into sharper focus - and they're on sale to the highest bidder. Richard Roth reports "... It is most interesting footage -especially if it really is what it says it is. There is a intriguing shot of Quartermaster Robert Hichens looking into the camera. But I am wondering exactly how 'new' this footage is...

Nov 22, 2000
Nothing new about it. It's just one of many copies that were made back in 1912 for use in the cinemas. By the laws of average - some must have survived! Whoever purchases the footage will have the knowledge that they own a 1912 film, but unfortunately, one that has been seen and copied countless times in madern days.
To the second class list with the "extra" names. Yes, this is quite genuine and the additional names are no doubt no-shows.

Geoff