1912 Titanic Film Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2004
First of all, Im NOT interested in selling this- just trying to get some info-
I have in my posession a 4X6 photo mounted on a 6 1/2 X 8 1/2 cardboard mount, showing a close up of a movie house. The banner hanging above the ticket window says "Now Showing in Motion Pictures: 'Landing of the Titanic's Passengers' The Carpathia Unloading the Rescued. Close Range Views of Ismay and Other Noted People. These are Actual Motion Pictures Taken at the Time of the Carpathia's Landing and are Different from Anything Previously Shown." Also visible are two posters; One says "Wreck of the Titanic" and the other has a picture of the ship and says "Titanic Disaster." I was wondering if anyone here has seen anything like this before- I dont recall seeing it in any books or anything before. I was just curious as to its rareity. I will try to attach a picture of it here, but I cant guarantee it'll show up- never tried it before-
Thanks!
Darren
85136.jpg

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Darren:
Thank you for posting this fascinating old picture.

If you don't a copy already, I strongly suggest that you get "The Titanic and Silent Cinema" by Stephen Bottomore. This excellent book was published in 2000 by The Projection Box.

You can check with Mike Tennaro at the Titanic Bookstore.com to see if he has a copy available. His book site has many links from the ET website.

If that doesn't work, you can try going directly to the publisher, located in England. Here's their website:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~s-herbert/ProjectionBox.htm

If you can't open the site using this url, just do a Google search and type in:
The Projection Box

Bottomore devotes three entire chapters, 60 pages, to the cinema and media frenzy to offer the most "sensational" slides and newsreels of the Titanic disaster "not available anywhere else". He has a picture of the front of Weber's Theatre on Broadway, New York City on May 4, 1912, that is even busier with Titanic hype than yours. He also has copies of numerous newspaper advertisements from both sides of the Atlantic for shows at theaters just like the ones in your picture. And he has pictures of some of the slides and newsreel footage shown at the time.

I'll give you a money back guarantee. If you buy this book and don't thoroughly enjoy it, I'll buy it from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.