1912 Vs 2002The Damage Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matthew Sims

Text Hello all, was jsut pondering the thought with a friend of mine, and beings we are both so ill-informed on the matter, i thought it would be best to leave it to the experts out here. But taking into account knows WSL faults leading to the accidents, what in your opinion would have been awarded to family members as compared to the meager (and it seems, at least to me) and selective few that recieved damge awards? I know its highly subjective to make monetary comparisons from 1912 to 2002, but i am quite confident we can come up with numbers that would be a reasonably safe educated guess..Thanks All

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Hi, Matthew,
This is an excellent topic and I'm surprised nobody has come forward yet. I was also interested in seeing some response to your query. It seems to me there possibly is some similarity in the distribution of donations and insurance awards between the Titanic survivors and the families of victims, and the survivors and victims' families of the 9-11 attacks. For instance, (someone out there may point out if I am wrong) families of more wealthy victims might have felt justified in receiving more of the relief payments than say a restaurant staff member, while others think it should be the same amount to everyone across the board.

All the best,
Kyrila

M

matthew Sims

Thank you kyrla, i greatly appreciate your response. One of the things that jumps out at you as you read the passenger bios here, is that a lot just had hospital bills covered and that was about the extent of the compensation they recieved! Could you possibly imagine the outrage that would exsist if that was the settlement in 2001? It is unbelievable that somehow the White Star Line felt it was suitable to pay for just hospital costs of some victims, especially when you consider it WSL negligence that caused the need for these bills! I really do hope to hear more on this from others

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Not to mention the long term effects of their ordeal! I know when I was injured in a car accident at the age of 10, the settlement only paid for the short term medical care. I'm still in need of orthopedic care on my back and neck and the settlement money is long gone! Nobody considered the long term effects in 1964 either!

Kyrila

M

matthew Sims

Well i dont know how much was available in the way of rehabilitation back then, so i dont know how much thought was given to it even in those cases where those types of damages were considered. Im sure if these settlements would have been on what most consider the fair and equitable side, the damages paid then could have been enough to sink WSL sooner than it did. But, under the circumstances, would much sympathy have been had for the WSL? i doubt it. It seems WSL got off easy in way too many aspects of th

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Michael, you're right, of course. I'm having a brain fizz right now, so I can't remember the name of the woman who was injured when Dr. Frauenthal fell on her. I wondered if she suffered any life-long malady as a result. But also I was thinking of the awards for loss of life. Was there parity, or was there partiality based on financial worth? This is the argument that has erupted in the wake of 9/11.

Kyrila

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Unfortunately, I haven't done much research into the legal manueverings and cases after the Titanic's loss. I know that there was some litigation, but as I recall, damages were pretty well restrained based on limitations of liability laws in force at the time. Beyond this, I'll leave the details to the legal eagles hereabouts.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Status
Not open for further replies.