1985 News Coverage of Wreck Discovery

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
I've been meaning to do this for years but only today have I finally uploaded to YT the news coverage of the wreck's discovery that I personally taped as an enthusiastic 16-year old back in 1985. This runs 1 hour and 47 minutes (there are a couple random non-Titanic stories left in) and features interviews from the CBS Morning News (when Maria Shriver's career was just starting) and Good Morning America (the tail-end of the David Hartman era), a full episode of "Nightline" and the first releases of wreck photos on the CBS Evening News.

In the course of this are interviews with Walter Lord (two), Eva Hart, Louise Pope, John Eaton, Clive Cussler, Ken Marschall, live telephone interviews with Robert Ballard from the scene (and an interview after his return from the site). In the silly department is a GMA interview with some nut who says he can raise the ship (even though the first reports of the ship broken in two have already gotten out). Pay attention also to the inaccurate hype about how the initial photo released of the bow shows "ice damage". How Ballard still believes the second and third funnels are intact. His misinterpretation of the swung around forward boom as a "jackstaff for a flag" on the bow. It shows how even with the startling revelation that all prevailing theories of how the ship sank were wrong, we still had a lot more to learn about the state of the wreck.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
I've been meaning to do this for years but only today have I finally uploaded to YT the news coverage of the wreck's discovery that I personally taped as an enthusiastic 16-year old back in 1985. This runs 1 hour and 47 minutes (there are a couple random non-Titanic stories left in) and features interviews from the CBS Morning News (when Maria Shriver's career was just starting) and Good Morning America (the tail-end of the David Hartman era), a full episode of "Nightline" and the first releases of wreck photos on the CBS Evening News.

In the course of this are interviews with Walter Lord (two), Eva Hart, Louise Pope, John Eaton, Clive Cussler, Ken Marschall, live telephone interviews with Robert Ballard from the scene (and an interview after his return from the site). In the silly department is a GMA interview with some nut who says he can raise the ship (even though the first reports of the ship broken in two have already gotten out). Pay attention also to the inaccurate hype about how the initial photo released of the bow shows "ice damage". How Ballard still believes the second and third funnels are intact. His misinterpretation of the swung around forward boom as a "jackstaff for a flag" on the bow. It shows how even with the startling revelation that all prevailing theories of how the ship sank were wrong, we still had a lot more to learn about the state of the wreck.

I didn't watch all of it yet but watched some. Liked the interview with Mr. Cussler and Marschall. Good job on putting this together.

Reactions: 1 user