1st class dining room on the olympic class

Jun 25, 2004
i´m writing an article for a German magazine about the 1st class dining room on the olympic class ships, Olympic and Titanic. I need more information and hope that you can help me.
i ´ve got several questions regarding this room:

1) have we got reports about the dining room of the olympic during her career?

2) were the ventilation gratings on the bottom of the ceiling or above the passengers installed?

3) were the chairs bolted?
when the dining-room chairs were bolted how is it possible that chairs were found in the ocean? i think that this method of securing the chairs was very strong. i think that is was nearly impossible to move the chairs from their anchoring. particularly when i think of the fact that the room was flooded calmly. in the book "From rare historical reports" by boyd-smith ýou can found on page 217 a picture from one on titanic dining-room chairs. when i look at the skirting board under the seat I can see that this skirting board where the pin was is intact, not destroyed. is this a piece of evidence that the chairs where not bolted? have we got survivor reports regarding this point?

4)how many tabled had one stewart to serve?

5) how many lighting fixtures were installed?

6) was there a buffet in front of the second boiler casing?

please send me all your information!

thank you!!!

Dustin Kaczmarczyk

Dec 7, 2000
Dustin,

The chairs weren't bolted. There was a pin in the floor which fitted into the frame of the chair. The frame itself allowed the chair to slide back and fore, with the pin keeping the chair in check. In rough weather, the pin was there to keep the chairs from sliding all over the place. It wasn't there to keep the chair bolted down.

I'm not fully sure about the early Olympic, but after the war, the pins were removed during calm seas.

Anyway, here's a picture of the bottom of the chairs to show you the pins. This is from 1911:

94322.jpg

Regards,

Daniel.

Jun 25, 2004
what was with the tables in this room? I think they were very heavy. was that enough to keep them on their place or were they bolted? I think cameron found in the dining room remains of the tables in form of table legs. and were they moved for the sunday church service?

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Dustin,
No chairs were found on Cameron's expedition, nor any expedition to date.
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Hi Dustin. Cameron did find remains of a table in the forward starboard alcove of the dining room. It is shown in one of the Commutator issues that dealt with the Ghosts of the Abyss dive. I can't remember if it is also shown in the book of the dive or not, I know the leaded glass window just behind it is. My understanding is that these table legs were made of cast iron and consisted of three or four legs that supported the table top from the middle....like those in the first class smoking room....is this right? Someone out there is bound to know!
Damon

Dec 7, 2000
All,

From what I can see, the legs (or at least the feet of them) were actually wooden! They were bolted to the floor, but could be unscrewed if tables needed moving. The 10 tables however that had a pillar going through them could not be moved and were supported by that pillar.

Daniel.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Damon,
Are you 100% sure that the Commutator is correct? The reason I ask is due to Ken Marschall's written account. He was there, and said that they found nothing in the form of chairs or tables in the First Class Dining Saloon.
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
If I remember correctly, wasn't the remnants of the dining room mentioned in the GOTA film itself?

May 7, 2005
In response to Jeremy:
Yes actually and it provided a beautiful insight to the disintigrating interior. Many of the five-bulbed light fixtures hung by only a few wires while the surviving mahogany woodwork in the walls provides an insightful look into the Jacobean style. However, as an owner of GOTA myself, there are going to be few if any surviving chairs or tables. You may find remnants of the pinion sets in the silt, the extravagant china and cutlery about but the chairs and tables may be hard to locate. One question though. In A Night to Remember, there is a small cart that wheels around the dining saloon during the sinking. Can anyone tell me if the cart actually existed? I do imagine that the rich Edwardian food would cause one's arm to feel quite tiresome.
Cheers,
Clifton

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
"...Ken Marschall's written account. He was there, and said that they found nothing in the form of chairs or tables in the First Class Dining Saloon."

The table bases are clearly there, and I can't imagine I didn't comment on them in my Commutator series. There's even a lone surviving table top right under the window, attached to the outer wall, a table for two that doesn't show on the cabin plans.

I have just posted a lengthy comment in the "First-Class Smoke Room Furniture" thread about the color of the leather used on Titanic's dining saloon and smoking room furniture. If anyone knows of any information on this (not Olympic, I know all about that), I would be most grateful to hear it.

Father Roberto Pirrone is considering completely redoing his now out-of-date 18-foot cutaway model of the ship, and we are, of course, thinking about these things. It's a major leap to give all the chairs and settees in these rooms a burgundy-dyed leather hue, but I can hardly imagine the designers employing Olympic's green leather in rooms that had predominantly red/blue floors.

(Please see my post in the above thread for details.)

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Ken