1st voyage (I think) west after refurbishing -- arriving 28 July 1920

John Mancini

Dec 17, 2018
My grandmother was on this voyage from Cherbourg to NYC. Looking for any information about this particular journey. It's the one that had Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford returning from their honeymoon (although I hazard to say in a somewhat different traveling class) as well as 16 year old Cary Grant/Archibald Leach (in second class).

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
This was actually Olympic's second 1920 New York arrival; the first was on 3 July.

28 July 1920: Olympic (Capt. Hayes) arrives in New York and is met by a large crowd which has come to see Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford, returning from their six-week honeymoon in Europe. Also on board is the Bob Pender Troupe of entertainers, which has come to perform in the United States. When the troupe leaves for home, one of its members, 16 year old singer, dancer and juggler Archibald Leach, will remain behind and support himself doing odd jobs until returning to Britain in 1923, but he will later return to the United States and enjoy greater success as an actor, under the alias Cary Grant. (Sources: Ellis Island ship manifest; The New York Times, 1 December 1986.)