2 Titanic books that need to be written

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
Here is my vote for the 2 Titanic books that need to be written-

*A Titanic Collectables book- with chapters on collecting Titanic books,sheet music,postcards,etc....

*The definaative Capt. Smith Bio

Anyone know if such books are in the planning stages?

Thanks

Tarn Stephanos

D

David Seaman

Hi Tarn....
I am pretty sure a bio for Smith has been done before. I think Gary Cooper (backup???) wrote one called "The Man Who Sank Titanic" or something to the likes. I haven't read i but wuld love to find a copy somewhere (without paying packets for postage to Australia).

As for the collectable book.... i soulds like a GREAT idea, not sure if one has been done. I know there are a few people out there that could contribute well to that book (no naming any names).
Take Care

D Sea

Oct 13, 2000
you got it right David. Gary Cooper did the Smith biography in 1992, reprinted in 1998. the full title is The Man Who Sank the Titanic? The Life and Times of Captain Edward J. Smith. I don't know if it could be called definitive, but it is quite comprehensive considering how little is known about the man.

best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Hello to all,
As for a Titanic collectables book, one has been written. It is called "The Ultimate Guide to Authentic Titanic Collectables" And is authored by myself and fellow Titanic collector and historian Craig A. Sopin. The book features pictures of artifacts from both of our collections as well as information on collecting Titanic in general and what to watch out for, i.e. fakes, etc. Now all we need to do is to find a publisher. We have tried a few publishing firms but so far there has been very little interest in "yet another Titanic book". Should we actually find a publisher and get the thing into print, I will certainly let the "community" know! Regards, Steve Santini.

D

David Seaman

Michael
Thank you for the extra info on Coopers book.... now I just have to hunt it down...

Steve...
I sure hope that you can find a publisher because it would be a great resource for any collectors out there. With such a large market out there it can be very deceiving and daunting to amatuer collectors. (Although by my experiences.... traders and antique sellers seem more daunted and insulted when you walk out with a bargain)
Best of luck to both yourself and Mr Sopin
Take Care

D Sea

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Steve !
I certainly hope you and Craig are able to publish this Titanic collectables book- as a book detailing the variety of Titanic collectables is a volume sorely absent from the book shelves of titanic buffs. I would defiantly buy a copy. Is the book finished? I have one or two rare titanic books (the lightoller and Rostron books, with dust jackets), and would hapily emaiil you a scan if interested, in case you are assembling a cover galery of many titanic books. By the way, I loved your Titanic book with the submersible Titanic model. I gave it a thumbs up review in the TI journal Voyage.

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Steve, when you get that book published, count on me to be one of the buyers!
happy.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Oct 13, 2000
David Seaman wrote:
Thank you for the extra info on Coopers book.... now I just have to hunt it down...

the only sites which seem to offer it are the British booksites, such as Amazon.com UK & Wm Smith, although neither seem to have it in stock, so it will have to be a special order. no getting around that overseas shipping fee though!

Oct 13, 2000
Steve Santini wrote:
Should we actually find a publisher and get the thing into print, I will certainly let the "community" know.

Steve,
good to see you back. I don't know if this publisher could help, but they specialize in books for collectors. they are (aptly enough) called Collector Books.

www.collectorbooks.com

they seem to have books on collecting just about everything from soup to nuts.

D

David Seaman

Hi Michael...
Thank you for your reply.... although it wasnt really what i wanted to hear Oh well.... tis' life. I once bought a postcard for $28 and to finally get it to me, all the charges added up to $35, more than the card itself.

If I cant get Coopers book, one of more interest to me is a certain collecting book by a Mr Steve Santini....hehehe
Sounds Promising

D Sea

Apr 7, 2001
Hello Tarn,

<<*A Titanic Collectables book- with chapters on collecting Titanic books,sheet music, postcards, etc....>>

Although there already exists a "collectibles" book by Steve Santini, I had an idea similar to
the one you presented here but would be too time consuming and expensive for anyone to tackle. The book would contain collectibles from all kinds of enthusiasts and historians around the world. Photos of the collector and their story would accompany the collections.

Teri

Status
Not open for further replies.