2 Titanic crew photos held by Library of Congress

Megan McCarty

Feb 28, 2009
I found two photos of Titanic crewmen among the digitalized Harris & Ewing Collection.

00940r.jpg

DENT RAY, F. TITANIC; STEWARD Dent Ray and two others

00939r.jpg

FLEET, FREDERICK. TITANIC Fred Fleet

I've seen many photos of Lookout Fleet, but I don't think I ever saw this one before. He's standing alone with only the Senate Office Building behind him.

I scanned through the rest of this digital collection, but didn't see any other crewmen photos. I did find a photo from the hearings in the Russell Office Building that is slightly different from others that I have seen:

13351r.jpg

The digital collection only represents a sample of the entire collection. I hope to stop by the Library of Congress' Prints and Photos Reading Room sometime to see if I can find anything more in the indexes for this collection. I've seen a couple crew photos in newspapers that are cited as being taken by these photographers and I have a hunch that there might be more photos out there waiting to be found...

If these photos are already well known and published, I'd appreciate knowing that so I don't spend time doing what others have already done. Many thanks!

Megan McCarty

Feb 28, 2009
I just wanted to update my information about this collection. I stopped by the Reading Room yesterday and found that the news index was never fully completed. It stopped in the middle of the entries for the letter 'S' and picked up again at 'W', skipping over the subject entry for 'Titanic.' I did a couple searches on names, but didn't find anything more than what I had already found online.

The good news, however, is that they are continuing to digitize this collection and someday it should be fully accessible. I think there are about 5,000 images available online now out of a total of 70,000+ or so images. I guess I have a while to wait!

May 3, 2005
I found two photos of Titanic crewmen among the digitalized Harris & Ewing Collection.

Who was Dent Ray ? Or what part of the crew was he ? Is he the person in the center of the photograph ?
Are those mustaches on "the two other persons" real or was this sort of a "gag" photo ?

That of Fred Fleet looks very good !