20 Years on...

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
At the end of this year it will be 20 years since James Cameron's effort was released. I happen to have a souvenir of that time issued by the Times of London. I will share it with you all, page by page, starting now:

Titanic souvenir 001.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I've only known of the film for about a decade now, but it's crazy how well the movie has aged especially from over 20 years ago! I wonder if we'll get one last big Titanic movie like this one with the information that we know today...

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
If we could, I would have Christopher Nolan directing it and Hans Zimmer composing it. Just Imagine that...

Reactions: 1 user

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I'd like to see a Titanic movie with more of an eerie and terrifying mood for the sinking scenes. Cameron's film, in my opinion, kinda romanticized the final moments of the ship. Still a great movie reguardless.

Reactions: 1 users

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
If we decide to go down the THG CGI Route, I would get Baz Luhrmann to direct. His visual effects in the Great Gatsby (2013) were stunning!
It's just a shame that in the film, Daisy never mentions the White Star Line:

Daisy Buchanan to Nick Caraway : "...a nightingale come over on the Cunard or White star Line..."

Back To Topic!

Last edited:

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
If you can concentrate on something else in the shot for long enough, an interesting movie factoid for you......

The hand that can be seen sketching Kate Winslet in her birthday suit is not that of her co-star Mr DiCaprio but the films director James Cameron. He did the drawing seen in the film. Leonardo was present and in the scene but didn't do the picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
I don't think there will ever be another Titanic movie on par with JC's for a looong time ,if ever. Yes there were a number of mistakes, but even those jaded folks should admit that those producers went to the ends of the universe to recreate that ship and it's interiors. For most people the Titanic subject has been done to death,so you would probably have the "not ANOTHER Titanic movie!!" attitude to contend with. Then you have the budget issues.JC's version cost 200 million which was a record back then.I don't think Hollywood would spend that kind of money on "another Titanic movie" after only 20 years. Plus after the dismal Downton Abbey Titanic(which was so bad even a huge buff like me doesn't own a copy) a movie team would really have to pull out all the stops not just visually, but come up with a storyline that makes people want to see it.Given how much heat JC'S screenplay got, I just don't think most people are that motivated right now. Lastly, JC'S version required more than one studio to back it up and get it rolling along.I cant even see multiple studios doing that with "another Titanic movie".So I guess we will just have to be content and enjoy what we have.That's all the movies not just JC's version.

May 4, 2017
I agree! Especially since JC's "Titanic" is so iconic. It's known the world over, one of the most successful films of all time. I find it hard to believe that some other filmmaker will come along and say "I'm gonna make another Titanic movie better than James Cameron's!" any time soon. Not only for the "not another Titanic film" thing... but for the fact that JC cared so much about making the best film he could. All the time, effort, and money put into it. I just can't see another movie like that being made today. Not to say that every Titanic film needs to have a giant budget.. but, still.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I'd really just like to see a remake of "A Night To Remember" with today's understandings of the sinking and modern filming technology. I really enjoy JC's version, (I literally have the entire script memorized) but I want something a bit more realistic.

Isis

Jul 17, 2017
If you can concentrate on something else in the shot for long enough, an interesting movie factoid for you......

The hand that can be seen sketching Kate Winslet in her birthday suit is not that of her co-star Mr DiCaprio but the films director James Cameron. He did the drawing seen in the film. Leonardo was present and in the scene but didn't do the picture.

Really? That's neat, he's a talented artist. I wonder if the character of Jack was written based on himself, as a young man? And Rose on a former girlfriend? Haha :)