2010 Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Today marks the 98th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, and unfortunately it is a special one in a bad way. For this anniversary will be the first that we will have had with none of the original Titanic survivors left with us. With this in mind, I believe that it's now more important than ever to realise that it's left to us, as those who research and love all things Titanic, to keep the memory alive and tell the stories of these people who are no longer here.

And then we have only 2 years left until what will hopefully be a spectacular centenary remembrance.....

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
I can remember the 60th anniversary, and the speculation at the time that there were perhaps 70 survivors left.

Adjusted for time zone, I see it's just about THAT time. A bunch of us are gathering by the pool for a role playing game of Hichens quells the mob ;) followed by cocktails. (The latter half is true)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Daily Mail:

Near-miss that could have saved the Titanic: Liner nearly crashed leaving docks, which would have prevented doomed voyage
quote:

It was the worst of omens for the gleaming new ship embarking on its maiden voyage.
As the Titanic left the Southampton docks, it came within two feet of crashing into another liner.
Had the two actually collided, it would have cut short the Titanic's maiden voyage and averted the catastrophe that was to claim 1,517 lives.
More at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1265719/Titanic-Near-miss-Southampton-docks-saved-liner.html

Comment: One of these days, somebody in the media is going to take note of Lester Mitchem's artcle and quote the correct number of fatalties.​

V

VWXYZ

Today 98 years ago, White Star liner RMS Titanic has foundered in cold Atlantic ocean in early morning. Let's make respect for 1517 passengers and crew, who perished with her. It's irreparable loss for everyone who built her, for passengers' and crewmen's kindred, White Star Line, and for us who love her. She will lie on the ocean floor since this morning, very deep and in the dark, forever.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Yes, I don't think I've ever read 2 books about the Titanic which have quoted the exact same number of survivors and casualties. Having said that, there is another side to what Lester says - perhaps if the Titanic hadn't been held up for the amount of time she was by the near collision, she might have sailed on and managed to avoid the iceberg altogether as well. ;-)

Anyway, it's all hindsight.....what is important on these dates is remembrance....

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Visited the grave of Alexander and Charity Robins, in Oakland Cemetery, today.

I dont know why it is, but this particular Titanic grave saddens me more than any other I've visited.

robins.jpg

A

Ada J

Thanks to all titanic forums the titanic disaster and people that sailed on her will never be forgotten.
Rest in peace & bless you're souls

May 5, 2005
>>Yes, I don't think I've ever read 2 books about the Titanic which have quoted the exact same number of survivors and casualties.<<
Adam, you took the words right out of my mouth. I have heard everything from 1496 to 1517 lost. The survivors, however have the same accepted amount; 705.(at least what I have seen) Obviously they are easier to document, but the list of lost souls has varied opinions. Are we not making these estimates from the same data?

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Steven:

Perhaps a lot of it comes from confusing stories of the newspapers of the day? They were of course publishing all sorts of wild facts and figures in the days following the sinking, and like any good myth, it's possible that some of these have floated down through book after book, generation after generation so we're still stuck with them today....

Or it's possible that the confusion comes from elsewhere.....for example, wasn't there 1 or 2 survivors who died once they were already on board the Carpathia? Which would then raise the argument of whether they technically died during the sinking or not.....but that's a fairly trivial point.

As for the survivors, I've heard 700 exactly, 705, and 708 before....although you're right that this generally seems to be far more accurate than the casualties.

Status
Not open for further replies.