2010 Wreck Site Mapping

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
I was wondering, when are we going to get the high resolution images of the 2010 sonar mapping that was done?

I've seen it stated that it was to be released on the 100th anniversary and I just havent seen any reference to it. If anyone can provide any information on this I would greatly appreciate it. Would like to get rid of the low resolution ones I got saved.

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
So, I take it theres no news on the release of the wreck site map then?

I wonder why its not being released, they could have thousands of people looking at it without pay and possibly find new things that they themselves didnt notice.

Charles

Mar 28, 2015
USA
I don't know what you mean , but I know that a big piece of the deck that was torn off during the break up is near the bow wreck today! Also the reception room candelabra rests aaround this piece of deck.

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
I don't know what you mean , but I know that a big piece of the deck that was torn off during the break up is near the bow wreck today! Also the reception room candelabra rests aaround this piece of deck.
What I mean is there was a expedition that went out with the sole purpose of sonar mapping the entire wreck site. I found a few low res images of this map that they created. But I am seeking a high resolution map that I can actually zoom in and explore myself in my free time.

I haven't even been researching Titanic lately myself as after 20+ years of reading and researching I just finally gave up because I wasn't able to really find any new information to further my own research.

Like last night I semi watched, mostly listened to a history channel episode "Titanic Mystery Solved" which is about this mapping project. I would shoot an email to Parks Stephenson since he was heavily involved in this but cant find a simple email address for him to ask him if he has any information now about a high resolution release of said map created from the mapping project he was part of.

But here is what I am talking about this is all I could ever find of the 2010 mapping project.

The first image titled Wreck Site 2010 - 1 is the full wreck site image, as you can see it is not high res enough to zoom in and actually explore for smaller objects only larger objects. I know there has to be higher resolution out there cause the next image titled Wreck Site 2010 - 4 shows just how detailed and close you can zoom in and make things out.

This is what I am looking for a full map like shown in the number one image but with the resolution like number four so I can actually zoom in and explore at my leisure and further my own research for the ship itself.

Wreck Site 2010 - 1.jpg

Wreck Site 2010 - 4.jpg

Last edited:
A

Aaron_2016

........This is what I am looking for a full map like shown in the number one image but with the resolution like number four so I can actually zoom in and explore at my leisure and further my own research for the ship itself.
The Titanic museum here in Belfast has a room with touch screen monitors displaying a fully interactive high resolution map of the wreck site. The last time I was there it was crowded but I remember randomly double pressing the screen and zooming in on various artefacts in the debris field. I think they must have the map in their archives but I am not sure how willing they are to release the map.

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
Well the thing is I am willing to pay for a copy of it. I don't expect it for free. Given when I say I am willing to pay for a digital copy I don't mean hundreds of dollars. If its a reasonable amount for their time to release it I will pay for it. I just cant find anything high resolution other than the small bow image I posted above. I rather take and explore the wreck site myself. I had a history teacher that in high school that drove it into our heads not to research other researchers material but to do your own research and view both sides and form your own theories or opinions. That's why I stopped reading books written by people like Charles Pelligrino and started to go back to original sources. Ive already read every single US transcript into the inquiry, never got around to the UK transcripts. But I already formed my own opinions there but now I am wanting to form my own opinions on what I am seeing on the wreck vs just taking others and their claim of well this is what happened.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
By chance does anyone know where ''The Big Piece'' was found in reference to the 2010 Wreck map? such as the coordinates? I guess it was found close to the Stern.

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
I mean actual port as if the ship was still in one piece in the image above that would be the southern side.

jerry7171

Apr 12, 2016
Sioux Falls
(Just my assumption, but there might be a variety of reasons that the high resolution map of the wreck site has never been released. There might well be other factors at work that I didn't consider, but these are only my best guesses).

There might be legal considerations to keep in mind, such as the wishes of the salvor-in-title. Maybe it doesn't want such a map to be accessed by the general public. It could be as basic as fearing unauthorized dives that would use such a map to cherrypick items from the debris field. For better or worse, I assume if the salvor-in-title wishes to keep the best maps of the Titanic private, it is within its rights to do so for now.

There might be the unfortunate cash connection. Just because an expedition involving NOAA mapped the site doesn't necessarily mean that (possible) public dollars equals public access. I personally feel that if taxpayer monies were used for expeditions like this one, the resulting data and research ought to be completely and easily accessed by anyone by definition, but that isn't taking academia and politics into account (possibly the only creatures capable of being bitchier than cats and drag queens are some academics in their ivory towers or politicians who have a dim view of their constituents). ;-)

There are thousands of hours of footage, photographs and crude maps generated by the various expeditions since 1985 that are still mostly kept out of public access with vague excuses that it hasn't been properly cataloged and vetted for public access or copyright (more of the academic/gov't territorial pissing contests).

It is doubtful that there are any history-changing discoveries waiting to be found buried in the data, but in general, it is maddening that the various agencies involved over the decades are so jealously secretive and selective when it comes to data from the Titanic.

Rusty_S

Mar 28, 2012
May be right, might not have any new information to gain from this data especially considering that the video I watched for when they did this expedition they already researched the map for over a year before they made the show. But still would be something nice to at least have a copy of.

Dec 23, 2017
Ok i dont want to get to exited but Some HUGE stuff happened on H&G. they uploaded a amazing new video on their Facebook site and on the main site all the Demo and investor pages are gone. Im just a little curious if they found an investor :)
Titanic - Honor and Glory

Reactions: 1 user