2012 The Titanic Olympics in San Francisco

Dec 12, 1999
It's down to two, San Francisco and New York, for the 2012 Olympics . . . the "Titanic" Olympics. I've heard that if it's in New York, a new Titanic will be built, and sailed in, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the sinking.

This Titanic will double as a velodrome, however, and several Olympic events will take place at sea, for the first time.

A fat suit will be designed for the President, so he will look like William Howard Taft. Warts will be engrafted on some guy's nose, so that he will be J. P. Morgan.

If it's in San Francisco, the "Great White Fleet" will be rebuilt, and sailed in. They will engage the U.S.S. Hornet, an aircraft carrier, in action. The Queen Mary will be towed to the bay, with Rose and Jack at the bow, and docked at Alcatraz Island. A restored WWII Japanese sub will try to sink her with a torpedo. James Cameron will do a movie about the whole thing.

These are just some of the ideas out there.

Whether it's in New York or San Francisco, a new trial of the Oceanic Steamship Navigation Company will take place, with our current set of Supreme Court justices presiding . . . only this time, they wear white robes.

It should be interesting.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Jan,

Let's see the actual proposals.

"A fat suit will be designed for the President"
Gee, I didn't know George was that heavy?
happy.gif

"The Queen Mary will be towed to the bay, with Rose and Jack at the bow..."
GOOD LUCK!!!
One time the tour guides mentioned that, with all the engines and machinery taken out, the QM is now top-heavy: try to move her, and she'll tip over, probably faster than the "SS POSEIDON" (yes, anyone older than 24 will catch the irony of that statement).

Now all we need to do is have a TITANIC recreation, with someone representing "ARCHIE GRACIE" leading the running events, while paying tribute to the first Walt Disney animated film that featured the caricatures of the actors that supplied the voice roles: "ARCHIE"leads us in the "Jolly Caucus Race", followed by the "Mad Tea Party", "on the ceiling", of course.

Are the rowing events also to be started from the TITANIC?

JC

S

sharon rutman

Now for sure I want the Olympics in NYC! Not only was NYC (not San Francisco) the Titanic's final destination, but since 9/ll it's even more important than ever before that we host an Olympic event. NY always gets such bad press anyway--I swear there are plenty out there who grumble that NYC got what it deserved on that horrible day!

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
"I swear there are plenty out there who grumble that NYC got what it deserved on that horrible day!"

I disagree. Some people may dislike NYC for whatever reason, but I don't think anyone would wish 3000 innocent people dying in a horrific way, just because they didn't like the city they were in.

Adam

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I'm pleased (albeit it's a small, cold comfort) to say that, in travelling and speaking to people all over the world, I've never met a single person - whatever their thoughts on America, New York or American foreign policy - who expressed any such sentiment as 'NYC got what it deserved'. Even those I've met who disagree fervently with the policies of America expressed nothing but disgust for the murder of thousands. of innocents.

Those who have actually been there (including myself - having lived there for three years) felt both the overwhelming horror of mass murder, but also grief for an attack on that brilliant, gorgeous city. Most of those who know NY seem to love it - it's a magical place. And San Francisco isn't bad either...

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Though born and raised in the North, I have lived in the South since 1979. I've had to endure "Yankee" jokes and the like every now and then over the years. Living here, I've also seen rebel flags commonly displayed.

However, since the events of September 11th, I don't hear the Yankee comments much anymore, and now, more often, I see American flags every time I turn around. I also see a lot of people wearing "FDNY" and "NYPD" apparel, tshirts and hats mainly. Southerners are every bit as outraged by the events of September 11th as Northerners in general and New Yorkers in particular. In the aftermath of this tragedy, it seems as if New York has become every American's city.

And, yes, I've always loved New York, ever since I first visited it in 1964 to attend the World's Fair. The last time I was able to visit the city, in 1976, I visited the Twin Towers and I'll always be glad I got to see these buildings for myself.

K

Karin Kasper

Bear in mind, this "final" selection between SF and NYC is just by the US Olympic Committee (USOC). Once the final selection is announced on November third, then it goes to the International Olympic Committee (IOC). I'm not sure when they will make their final selection between our final city and about half a dozen others. Frankly, I will be shocked if the US city, whichever one it is, is selected for 2012; the US has hosted several Games in the last 22 years alone- Lake Placid, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Salt Lake City- I think the IOC is probably looking to level the playing field, so to speak, and will pick a city in a part of the world that doesn't often get a Games. I hear Rio de Janiero is in the running...

S

sharon rutman

New York has never gotten the Olympic games either. I still say there's a nasty prejudice against New York out there. Just before 9/ll Bush made a tour of the heartland (ie states that voted for him in the middle of the country) and made only ONE trip to NYC after the WTC disaster. The message I saw was loud and clear--only the heartland has good old fashioned values -- not the big evil city.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The message I saw was loud and clear--only the heartland has good old fashioned values -- not the big evil city.<<

And this relates to the selection of one city over another for the Olympics....how? Last time I looked, the President wasn't on the Olympic Committee.

S

sharon rutman

Sure why not. It's as good a reason as any to reject or accept one city or another for something as prestigious as the olympics. NY doesn't deserve the bum rap it get sometimes. To paraphrase Woody Allen in Annie Hall about NY hatred: It's all about foreskin. They think that NY is full of leftwing Jewish Homosexual childmolesters. I feel that way too and I live here.

Mar 28, 2002
For what it's worth (probably not a lot, but who cares) I think New York is one of the most fantastic cities I've ever been to. I went there in 1996 with a mate from work and in the week or so we were there, we packed in as much as we possibly could and still missed an awful lot. We argued like mad because we were absolutely knackered travelling between New York, Atlantic City, Niagara Falls, Toronto and Montreal in the space of two weeks and it wasn't until a month after we got back to England that it hit us how brilliant New York actually was.

I live within the Birmingham, England area so you cannot tell me how many times this area gets passed over by those selecting locations for major events within the UK. But, at the end of the day, us Midlanders don't complain constantly that we are being discriminated against in favour of London, for example. It's just one of those things and we have the good grace and sense just to get on with it. We tend to merely shrug our shoulders and say "sod 'em".

There is a degree of anti-London feeling here, but it's not deeply-rooted and is in the main good natured. If an event on the scale of the WTC attacks happened in London, it is inconceivable that Brummies or anyone else in the UK would ever believe that London had "got what it deserved". The 3000 plus people that were killed that day were just like any one of us. Yes, there were some here that said America had got what it deserved as some groups over there had been financially supporting terrorism against British citizens for years. However, these were merely comments by individuals who I don't really believe felt that way - people say all sorts of things when witnessing something as horrific as 9/11 and I have come to learn it's gut reactions to shock and fear. It's people's way of trying to come to terms with things they can't take in in the immediate aftermath of an event. I don't believe anyone thought New York had "got what it deserved". Besides, it didn't just happen to New York - it happened to everyone that couldn't believe what they were seeing with their own eyes. It happened to the world.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sharon, a lot of cities and states have never hosted an Olympics befor. I just don't see how Bush or any other President is related to that or the choice the Olympic Committee makes. Especially since the President isn't a part of the committee.

Mar 28, 2002
And besides, Sharon, New York is a candidate for the 2012 Olympics. I would say that says an awful lot for what New York has to offer. Birmingham was a candidate for the 1992 Games but we didn't get them. We also didn't blame anybody and didn't whine on that Birmingham suffers from prejudice. We don't care - we tried, we failed but we hardly felt persecuted by it.

Cheers,

Boz

K

Karin Kasper

A lot of cities try for it each time, and a lot of cities don't get the Olympics, for whatever reason. I don't think that neccessarily means that people see the cities that don't get it as "bad" for whatever reason; I think it means that there are other, "better" reasons for choosing the other cities.

I live very close to NYC, and I would love it if the Olympics did come here, but it's a long way until 2005, which is when the final selection will be made, and, as I said above, for various reasons, I would be very surprised if they did choose NYC.

S

sharon rutman

At least London actually hosted the Olympics--the first post WWII summer games, I think. I just have a feeling NY will be passed over again. In fact that new flick Sweet Home Alabama reinforces my point about NY prejudice--despite 9/ll NY bashing is back in full swing.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
London actually hosted the Olympics twice: 1908 and 1948 (the latter more as a result of post-war expediency - after the disruptions of the war it was necessarily to find a host city).

Sorry, but from where I sit - as someone who loves New York, has lived there and who visits whenever she can - New York is regarded internationally predominantly with affection, even if that affections is sometimes expressed roughly. This is even more marked post 9/11.

I might live to be 100, but I will never forget the tributes to New York and New Yorkers laid outside the American Embassy in London in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks. Many of these were deeply personal - snapshots taken at the Twin Towers, 'I Love New York' caps, souveniers etc...all seeking to empahsise a personal connection with the city.

I worked for years and an adviser to the NSW Minister for Sport in the lead up to the Sydney 2000 games, and was exposed to much of the politicking behind the decisions. Eyebrows were raised at the selection of Atlanta in 1996, given that it was not so long ago that the USA had hosted the games in LA. While selection is based on host city and not host nation, as posters have outlined above there is a feeling in the international community that the Games should not become US-centric (I'm talking perceptions here, not necessarily realities). There was some surprise at Sydney being awarded the Games, given how US-Broadcast-Unfriendly the times were.

One thing about the New Yorkers I know and love, however...they're nobody's victims, and would not be remotely impressed at having victim status shoved upon them. They stand triumphantly on their own two feet, and that's one of the qualities I admire in this brash, ballsy, beautiful city.