2019 National Geographic dive

afty

Apr 19, 2018
Been hearing murmurs about a dive to the wreck site having been done in secret last weekend. It's on White Stars, Black Sea and appears to be confirmed on Parks Stephenson's facebook. Official announcement soon supposidly. Anyone else heard anything? Thoughts? Feelings? Excitement?

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
This is brilliant news! We have new photographs, footage, (hopefully) good news on the state of the wreck's deterioration, some new minor discoveries and a new documentary which we haven't had for a few years!

Thank you for the good news! :)

Nov 14, 2005
If true that would be great to see some new pictures/video. But why the need to keep it secret? Doesn't make sense.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
The only possible reason I can think of would be to avoid the usual pre-publicity that occurs before an expedition to the wreck.

You know something I'll bet that in the past, expedition leaders have gotten a barrage of obsessive letters and e-mails from strange, random people asking or outright demanding to be on taken along !

afty

Apr 19, 2018
It also may have been incase something went wrong and they had to cancel last minute? Maybe they were trying to avoid the OceanGate scenario as they've ended up delaying their dive twice (this most recent one at the last minute). This way they can come back and just say "we did it and here is what we found" and avoid backlash if something went wrong.

Nov 14, 2005
LOL.
Seusam, afty... I guess those could be true. But for us diehard Titaniacs I don't think 99% of the people would care one way or the other. I surf the news a lot and it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have know about the OceanGate problems. I never saw it mentioned on the aggregate news sites I surf. But both good points that you brought up.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
If true that would be great to see some new pictures/video. But why the need to keep it secret? Doesn't make sense.
The publicity angle seems to me to be the correct one. I also suppose it depends on what exactly those paying for, and participating in, the dive intend to do on the wreck. Again, publicity matters here because there are things one might do that could cause public outcry--for example if something was going to be done has the chance of doing some sort of damage to part of the wreck.

I find the latter highly, highly unlikely though for a National Geographic dive.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
I think this “don’t touch the wreck” status should end before it’s too late. There are some mysteries that can still be solved unless the wreck is allowed to collapse into a pile of untouched rust.

Reactions: Scott Mills

afty

Apr 19, 2018
There are already photos leaking out:
Titanic-BOW-CAtlanticProductions.jpg

There is also some footage on facebook and it's INCREDIBLE looking. They've taken 4k photos and videos. Nat Geo is putting out a press release tomorrow. (if any of you are reddit users i'm posting all i'm finding at my sub reddit.com/r/rms_titanic)

samson

Aug 19, 2019
California
Also, the articles all just mention degradation of areas that were already in bad shape. The officers quarters have been badly eroded and I believed damaged by salvagers many years ago as was the mast. Fingers crossed she's holding up better than expected.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
My Chinese e-mate points out that Titanic has lasted longer sitting on the bottom than she would have had she stayed in service. Always look on the bright side!

Reactions: samson