2112 Will she still have staying power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
The near but distant future, one none of us will see, will she still intrigue?
This century will have its own Titanic.
The towers? Probably.
Titanic will never fade. She may become one with the ocean floor, yet I can never see her falling from certain folks eyes. She will always be to me the standard to which others are compared.
Just talking out loud, Don
happy.gif

H

Hydie Cheung

Hey Don! I am a little bit confused here.. Do you mean that the ship will be vanished by the year 2112??

- Hydie

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
No, Hydie, he means we will be. (Violin in background).

Maybe the events of September 11 2001 will become the Titanic of the 21st century. Maybe the story will have its own mythology, complete with books, movies, phony survivors and all. Maybe even a Captain Lord to be argued over eternally.

Personally, I think that the 21st century may eventually have its own massive marine disaster. Given cruise ships carrying up to 4,000 passengers and some of the floating cowboys that rove the seas, don't rule out a major collision. The century is but a pup, so I'd rule nothing out.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The Titanic will always be up front because, at least in terms of Worldwide media coverage, it was the FIRST major disaster at sea. And we always remember the firsts. I know that Hilary and Tenzing were first to reach the top of Everest, but who will remember the 1300 or so others that have been there since, including many who chose far more difficult routes, and the many who died there? By the same token, who remembers the world's worst peacetime shipping disaster in 1987, when the ferry Dona Paz collided with a tanker and more than 4,000 lives were lost. We remember the Titanic because it was and always will be the first, not the worst. And the worst, unfortunately, will always be yet to come.

C

Chris Nicholson

Like Dave said, there may be a new cruise ship disaster in the future.I can picture it now. Terrorist activity could sink it. Over the course of a few years Terrorists book passage on these transatlanic cruise ships. During these years they sneak black powder charges on lifeboats and hide them very well so no one will notice them. Once the final two are in place (one on each side) the two are detonated. It starts a chain reaction which destroys all the lifeboats the ship has. They have already snuck guns aboard, and they destroy all communication devices while the other terrorists are still taking out the lifeboats. They kill any cops or someone who could stand in their way while they are still asleep or sneak up behind them. They then take all the weapons on the ship and put them in one room. Once the bridge is clear they say on the intercom for everyone to stay in thier cabins or else they will be shot. Once that is done they take full controll of the ship and by forcing whoever they want to do what they want they will piolet the ship to the artics and crash it into a big iceburg in open water. They lock or barracade all the doors nesessary to prevent people from getting to the top deck or outside at all. Meanwhile the terrorists have allies with boats and a boat follows them out to the ships sinking. The boat sends out its lifeboats to pick up the terrorists in the water. A man with a machine gun stands out on the terrorist's ship's deck to kill anyone who might survive "Tommorow Never Dies" style. That would be a disaster or huge proportions. If not in real life it makes for a good movie don't it! That is why I have already copywrited the movie idea so don't steal it!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
While a terrorist outrage is not outside the realm of possibility, I think it a lot more likely that they'll make the operation a very simple one; That is to say cruise up to the target vessel in a small craft straining under the weight of plastique or RDX and set the thing off after a cheerful "Alahu akbar!"

Dirt simple and as such fewer things that can go wrong and better press since it'll happen right where everyone can see it...right next to the dock.

Much more likely IMO, is some sort of disaster that will happen much the way the Titanic did; a chain of mistakes leading up to a really lousy Monday morning. Only since the casualty will likely be a much larger ship with more people aboard, the death toll will be equally staggering.

Colour me a pessimist if you will, but I suspect it's only a matter of time.

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
I agree with you Michael,
If there is one thing that history has repeatedly shown us it is that technology may evolve in leaps and bounds but our foresight into the follys it may bring about never seems to quite catch up. As humans we will always be prone to such internal failings. If you doubt me, just read the "Darwin Awards"! Regards, Steve Santini

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I also agree with Michael. Some months ago, I watched the security that surrounded QE2 when she visited us. There were guards on the dock, divers under her hull and police boats on the water. All this would have been useless against determined suicide attackers in a fast runabout set up to look like an innocent fishing boat.

As to other paths to disaster, the recent sinking of Tricolor should warn us that collisions are still too frequent, especially in confined waters. In 1999 the cruise ship Norwegian Dream hit a container ship amidships, knocking a large hole in her side. The bow of Norwegian Dream was seriously rearranged but she stayed afloat. Had the situation been reversed, I fear Norwegian Dream would have been in big trouble. Imagine a 20 knot container ship hitting one of the cruise ships right in her atrium.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well guys, let's sweeten the pot some.

The Queen Mary II will be a 150,000 GRT vessel, and I recently saw something on Maritime Matters about a 180,000 GRT vessel with a capacity of 4000+ passengers that's soon to be built. Lot's of "fun" to be had if any one of these ships runs into grief.

Sooner or later, one of these monsters...or something even larger...will.

>>I fear Norwegian Dream would have been in big trouble. Imagine a 20 knot container ship hitting one of the cruise ships right in her atrium.<<

Can anyone say "Sink like a rock???"

I knew you could!

But...but...but...Mike....what about the lifeboats?

Oh, you mean those shattered splinters hanging uselessly in what's left of the davits on one side while the rest on the other side can't be launched because of too great a list? Those lifeboats?

C

Chris Nicholson

Once you think about it a ship is practically a sitting duck for terrorist activity. In the middle of the ocean its lifeboats are the only thing that could really save it's passengers and if it sinks at a list like Mr. Standart said they become useless. Since a majority of transportation secutity is being placed on airlines, no one is expecting an attack with a ship. And with todays super cruise liners that carry 4000+ people, if one of them should sink very fast with useless lifeboats, then you will have more dead bodies then 9/11.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
You will notice that in Titanic's time grand scale and passenger accomadation had passed the usefullness of the guidelines set forth for safety.

In QM2's time isn't the same thing occuring. Can you safely evcuate 4,000 passengers in a half of an hour as required now???

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Can you safely evcuate 4,000 passengers in a half of an hour as required now???<<

I'd like to see that one put to the test. Bearing in mind however that it would be under "laboratory conditions" that have nothing to do with reality and the nasty little surprises that a ship would deal with when things go to Hell for real. My bet is that the answer will be "No way Jose!" in the "lab test"...which doesn't bode well for what happens when the real crunch comes.

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Hi all,
One thing comes to mind... not only is the question "can you evacuate 4000 passengers", but WOULD you evacuate 4000 passengers? As all of us are into liners I probably do not need to remind all of the nasty habit many modern crews seem to have for leaving passengers behind while they themselves take off in anything handy which will float (like the lifeboats for instance!). The age of women and children first is far behind us to be sure. Say hello to the: "I know how to run this thing so I am taking off in it!" age. The next passenger related maritime tragedy will probably not only be on a grand scale as far as lives lost, but it will likely be on the grand stupidity and greed scale as well. Regards, Steve Santini

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I know what you mean Steve. The Yarmouth Castle is an example of not just the crew bailing out, but the captain as well. It's rather old hat too. Which see what happened with the Collins Line steamer Arctic.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I wouldn't worry about it too much Deborah. Cunard runs a pretty tight operation. If your heirs are a little too anxious to try and collect on your will, they'll have to hope that you try something a bit more risky.

Like having lunch at Hardees!
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2003
To get back on track a little bit.......I think the Titanic will have staying power. Look at how long people like us have kept Titanic alive? It is the enthusiasts and scholars that keep something before the public. Her story is still as compelling today as when it ocurred in 1912. And as long as people watch the Titanic films like Titanic 97 her story will never fade away.

The WTC/Pentagon will be the 'Titanic' of the 21st century. As long as people study the tragedy, learn from it's lessons then it too will be alive for future generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.