2nd Class Women Casualties

Apr 16, 2001
Posted by "Mike"Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 11:32 pm
As I recall, twelve second class women drowned, when it seems they could have been saved had they chosen to enter boats. Mmes Carter, Chapman, Howard, Lahtinen, and Turpin apparently would not leave their husbands. Mlle Yrois, who was Mr. Harbeck's mistress, elected to remain with him. Martha Hiltunen seems to have been distracted by caring for Mrs. Hamalainer's suitcase(?).

That leaves five. I remember reading that three women were seen walking together on A deck, saying they had no intention of trusting the fragile lifeboats. Could they have been Mrs. Corey, Miss Funk, and Mrs. Karns, all of whom had come from India (perhaps in each other's company?) Could Mary Mack have been the "elderly woman" who shook everyone off at boat 9 and fled down the companionway? That leaves Mrs. Corbett. Any thoughts on why she might have not entered a boat?

Thanx
Dear Mike,

The second-class ladies who were seen walking together and refusing to enter the "fragile lifeboats" may very well have been Mrs. Corey and Mrs. Karnes. Both ladies were friends so it is possible. Of course, we don't know if the ladies that were seen changed their minds and eventually left the ship in a lifeboat.

Regarding Mrs. Corbett, I cannot offer any help. I have always wondered why she never entered a lifeboat. She was traveling alone, and was eagerly looking forward to being reunited with her husband and three little children in Provo, Utah. In fact, prior to the voyage, the family detected an air or homesickness in her letters to them. Mrs. Corbett had been in London for a period studying medicine at the General Lying-In Hospital. Did she feel safer remaining on the Titanic? More than likely, in my opinion, given the cir(?)

Nothing is known about the actions of Mrs. Mack but given her age, she may well have been the older lady who shook everyone off and ran away from boat #9. Her body was later recovered.

Michael Findlay

M

Michael Friedman (Mike)

Actually, according to George Beauchamp's testimony (Br. Inq. Day 2, 709-710), there may have been 3 ladies who declined to enter boat #13. "Some ladies would not come in the boat . . . Well, I heard them saying - two or three of them saying, 'No, I will not go; I will not go away in the boat' ".

My speculation (and that's all it can be, at this point) is that the ladies were Mrs. Corey and Mrs. Karnes, who had traveled together from India, and possibly also (if indeed there were three ladies) Miss Funk, who also had come from India. Almost all other ladies with ready access to the boats seem to be otherwise accounted for.

Mar 20, 1997
Here's another theory to explain what might have been going on the mind's of a couple of the women in 2nd Class who ultimately did not save themselves. In the bio for Mrs. Karnes, it mentions that at some point during the voyage, her husband back in India passed away from smallpox. While it is assumed she was unaware of this, could there have been any way that word of his death may have reached her just before the Titanic hit the iceberg. By this time wireless messages were routinely exchanged from ship to shore.

This certainly would have affected her state of mind during the sinking. If she did find out, would it be possible that Mrs. Corey would have been the only other person she might have confided to and Mrs. Corey might have sacrificed her own life in a futile attempt to get her friend to save herself?

M

Mike Shetina

To Arthur,
Mrs. Corey was pregnant so I think that she would not have sacraficed her own life to save her friend,
Mike Shetina

John Paul

Jun 1, 2009
It is certainly not Miss Funk because before she could board a lifeboat, a woman pushed her or something and told "My child!" or something like that and she couldn't do nothing.