3 orphan survivors of Titanic

V

Victor Streckfuss

Magdalen (6), Emma (8) and Arthur (7) Hoare (could be Valero) from Gibraltar were survivors of the Titanic, this can be confirmed by oral history and a Photo of Emma and Sir James Bisset taken in 1954. Their names do not appear on the Survivor lists. Can any one help?
Thank you Victor

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Victor, I did a search of children on Titanic based on first names rather than last names and found no siblings by the names you offered. One can only conclude that these children were told they were on the Titanic and believed it to be true, or some other explanation. But I assure you historians have documented every person on the ship for 92 years and these children were not on the ship.

Kyrila
Heritage consultant at The Historical Research Center, Boynton Beach, FL

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Victor, James Bissett was an officer on the Carpathia. Before its diversion to rescue the Titanic survivors, the Carpathia was on its way to Gibralter. Perhaps this family were passengers on that ship and the story has got a little mixed up down the years.

V

Victor Streckfuss

Kyrila, Randy and Bob thanks for your replies, I wasn't aware that Carpathia was on it's way to Gibraltar. My wife remembers her Grandmother telling the story of being in the life boat and the ship going down and hearing the screams. When inquiring in 1952 with Barnardo's Orphanage about her relatives Magdalen (my wifes Grandmother) was told in a letter that her and her sister were admitted into the orphanage on the 13 of April 1912. This being the very day the Titanic hit the iceberg, we thought it was just a typing error. Just imagine if a well known Orphanage was to have placed some Orphans on a new Ocean Liner on It's maiden Voyage, perhaps sending them to families in America, and the ship sinks. Would this be a scandal worth covering up? They were having trouble filling the Titanic with passengers, the White Star boat that berthed on the starboard side of the Carpathia in New York to take off the crew of the Titanic could have removed some controversial survivors as well. Perhaps my imagination has gone too far. Does anyone know of any similar conspiracy theories?
Thanks Victor

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Actually, Victor, the Titanic struck the iceberg April 14, at 11:20 p.m., sinking in the wee hours of April 15. Therefore, if the children were admitted into an orphanage on April 13, they were not even at sea on either ship, now, were they. As for entertaining such an idea as a cover-up of orphan children going down with the ship, let me remind you that there were 711 survivors of all classes who would have testified to the fact that a large group of orphans were lost. The newspapers of the day were tabloid in nature and would not have let a story such as this go untold. People talk and there's no way this could have been covered up if it had happened. Trust the historians on this website. All passengers and crew have been thoroughly documented through records at White Star Line, Immigration offices, etc. There were no orphans traveling on the Titanic, such as you suspect.

Kyrila

Mar 20, 2000
I do believe I made a goof! I had meant to post my above reply to the Rene Harris thread. I must have been looped or something and selected the wrong thread! My apologies.

V

Victor Streckfuss

Kyrila, thanks for straightening out my wondering mind, I've never been one for conspiracies anyway and it's entirely possible that Orphans institutionalized around that date could equate their plight with that of the Titanic survivors. But their story, the three separate stories have been around the family for quite some years and they have taken their secrets to the grave. There is some avenues such as Newspaper articles from Magdalens photo album which I have yet to pursue. There is also the possibility that after their mother died in 1911 they lived with their Aunt, they may have been on the Titanic to join their father who had left the family a couple of years before. Oh well I shall continue my search in vain. Hope your cold gets better soon.
Thanks Victor

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Victor, it is a virtual certainty that neither Magdalen nor her siblings were passengers on the Titanic, but this is an interesting story nonetheless. I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the suggestion that you made in your last posting. Children consigned to an institution, especially with a parent still living, would almost inevitably have felt abandoned, unwanted and unloved in a society which showed little concern for their plight as individuals. But those who were orphaned by Titanic were very much a talking point at the time, and the subject of a great deal of concern and sympathy throughout the world. It is not uncommon for an abandoned or orphaned child or even a group of children to invent, and perhaps come to believe in, a past which provides a blameless and often dramatic explanation for the absence of both parents. For such a purpose, Titanic was there for the taking.

A

Alex McLean

No problem, Kyrila. Hope your cold clears up soon!
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Aw, you guys! Actually I woke up this morning and my cold was all gone! No April Fools, either. I swear by that Airborne! Works every time, and this time I thought sure the bug was too strong for it, but no, I didn't get a full blown cold! Thanks for your sweet concern. I'm touched.

Kyrila