3D model of Lusitania

FelisLeopard

Jan 9, 2019
Ukraine
Tweaking the smoke. If anyone interested in how to make it - i can show.
And now back to the question of what funnels should emit smoke during her last voyage. I may agree with the statement, that that should funnels 2-3-4. But on the video of Lusi departing NY, there are clearly visible smoke on funnels 1-3.

Attachments

FelisLeopard

Jan 9, 2019
Ukraine
Well, looks like this project suddenly stops. I have no info to make any improvements. Looking everywhere for plans and answers. No use.
Today i was trying to find a correct places of bilge pumps, ash ejectors. I see many water flows and even some steam (what is that???) on the photos. But it's pretty hard to define the exact location. Different photos shows different waterfalls on her hull in different places.
Damn... I think i will make them somewhere close to what i see on photos, but if any one say that place is wrong - i will ask for a plan or clear photo to prove it.

FelisLeopard

Jan 9, 2019
Ukraine
The rendering may take some more time. Right now average time for one frame is about 6 min. right now it's on frame 514/1200. I maybe try to install my old GTX670 as a secondary to use just for display and even work, while GTX1080ti does the rendering.
Meanwhile, have a test render, that i did, while tuning the water effects for bilge exhausts and some steam and propellers foam. The idea is actually simple, but takes enormous time to bake.

Attachments

Reactions: Itsstillthinking

FelisLeopard

Jan 9, 2019
Ukraine
Thanx :)
But here is the little problem. I'm not a historian. I know so little about ships of the steam era. Well, even about ships in general. I have no access to any archives or collectibles. I'm not even a member of any historic society. I have more questions, than answers. Even here i got none, as you can see.
I just love technics and machines, especially ships and aircrafts. And i like 3D modeling, although i cannot say i'm professional even here.

Reactions: Itsstillthinking
Dec 23, 2017
Thanx :)
But here is the little problem. I'm not a historian. I know so little about ships of the steam era. Well, even about ships in general. I have no access to any archives or collectibles. I'm not even a member of any historic society. I have more questions, than answers. Even here i got none, as you can see.
I just love technics and machines, especially ships and aircrafts. And i like 3D modeling, although i cannot say i'm professional even here.
Even so, no one has bothered (outside of Kens painting) to re create this or show this since 1915! So its kinda hard for anyone to criticize your work if there is nothing else to compare too :)

FelisLeopard

Jan 9, 2019
Ukraine
Just got an answer from University of Glasgow Archives. Those plans are too damn expensive... Which means, unless i start some commercial project, i'm not spending a fortune of money. And right now i don't know what i can add to this project... No more info, no answers, nothing. I don't see any interest here either.
What should i do with it then? I will make few more animations and that's it. Probably just give it away and forget. Or hide into some archive for better times.

Dec 23, 2017
I think you have a solid foundation for more animations. I cant say what to do with it, but i would defiantly recommend keeping it for future use. Your model as it stands is by far the most accurate depiction of the Lusitania, and i think it would be wonderful every once and a while to post a render of some never before seen shot, as it looks amazing!