3D Titanic incl Southampton lots of images

Apr 27, 2007
Hey people! I just found this website, and all you seem to be really serious, so I'll give it a try =)

For fun, I've been modeling the whole Titanic, including the whole Southampton docks. I still have lots of things to tweak and add but I've
rendered several different scenarios with the ship, plus I'm rendering a animation (about 20-30 sec) with it in "old movie-style". Now I'm going to complete it and send it in as a portfolio piece of mine for a 3D/Visual effects school I'm going to apply for.

This is something I've ONLY posted on CGtalk, which I'm updating as often as I can, so if I'm not too active here I'll always be on at CGtalk with the updates, my thread with alot more pictures can be found at: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4352794#post4352794
Here you can also follow my progress from the MANY misstakes I've made since the very start.

Please note: I know that you guys will spot something, but do please remember that it's not finished yet, it's a huge work in progress even though it might look somewhat finished already
happy.gif

The ship:
The ocean/shading etc. is not perfect yet due to much being in a "work in progress" stage still
The funnels have been recolored since this render, I'll post a new image tomorrow
View high resolution Image

119716.jpg

Side view (a bit older render now)
The texturing is not complete on these images, the hull windows are visible for the sake of visibility

119717.jpg

From front the ship alone sofar:
The funnels too have been worked on since this picture, and still needs some work, the bow objects needs some additional work too.

119718.jpg

From back the ship alone sofar:
Yes, the propellers area is still not complete, the bending is not modeled underneath the rudder yet and the poop deck have some work too left.

119719.jpg

Thats it for now, I'll have a new image rendered by tomorrow even bigger in "scale/details", I'll post it here aswell if you're nice to me haha =P

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I have never been so impressed. Truly wonderful and very realistic. I cannot wait to see the finished results! Thank you so much for coming here and sharing this with the Titanic community. If these are just rough drafts, I can only imagine that the finished results will be nothing less than perfect.

Great job!

B

Brent Holt

Excellent! Superb! I can't wait to see the finished product.

A minor correction is needed:
The B-deck bulkhead with the square windows represents Olympic, not Titanic. Titanic had 2 round windows in doors at this location. (Olympic did not have the doors)
Photos of this area on both ships will clarify what I mean.

Again, great work
Brent

Apr 27, 2007
Hey people! Thanks alot! Didn't think the response would be that good!

Jeremy: This is a work for my portfolio, I'm 18y and am going to apply for a 3D school and need to build up a portfolio, this will be one of the works I'll be showing =)

Paul: You'll have to show me a picture, and I'll also note, I know that you people will find several errors, the hull windows are all not 100% correct, the windows overall is as close as I could get them by looking at my small real life model titanic, some web images etc. Some changes will be hard to make due to the windows being a bit of a pain when it comes to "re-adjusting/removing" etc, but I'll do my best! =)

UPDATE!
I promised you another update, and here is it, this is also the first time I'm posting a new render outside of my CGtalk thread firstly.

The funnels have been re-textured to match the funnel color etc. of the Titanic movie, they are however a bit too bright in the upper area, but this will do till next time.
Some additionall detailing have been done in the frontal part just above the waterline
Gah so little time and so much things I'm not happy with...

also, the funnels, shouldn't they have some more pipes along their sides from this angle? Jims Titanic movie flips the image all the time so I'm a bit unsure.

She has gone even more below the waterline:

View HIGH RESOLUTION Image

119728.jpg

Sep 3, 2005
Emil, That is absoloutly amazing!... I can't believe how well this look, if you glance at it quick it kinds looks real!

Can't wait to see more of your work!

Apr 27, 2007
Christian Stenfelt: Thanks alot! Och jag håller med, otroligt intressant att se ännu en svensk, som DESSUTOM själv håller på med 3D! Dina verk är också fantastiska, jag har ett otroligt stort intresse för ditt nya "vrak" verk! Otroligt fint!

Man kanske kan höras över msn eller något framöver då man säkert kan diskutera fram en del saker då du själv har gjort modellen =)

Jon-Paul Cunningham: Thx! I also saw your email, I'll get back to you as soon as possible, I'm awfully busy being a student who graduates in a month or two.

I'll see when I get the chance to upload another image, my time the coming week will limit me alot, so I'll instead give 100% to render out the animation which also takes me an awfull amount of time, but if time allows I'll continue making various renderings regularly in the meanwhile ;)

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
After closely looking at the above image of Titanic sinking, it appears that some lifeboats have been launched too early and others haven't been, which contradicts what we already know. For example, Lifeboat 1 hasn't been lowered, meanwhile the propellers are out of the water.

Perhaps Bill Wormstedt or Tad Fitch can chime in on this.

Apr 27, 2007
Jason: That render is not made historically accurate, it just fitted me the best to fill out the 3D scene that way during that specific render =)

Here's another quick "draft" image I rendered and quickly added some smoke etc. postwork afterwards, there are lots of issues here that I've already noticed but here it is anyway:

Southampton: (NOT 100% finished scene, neither the docks nor the ship yet)

View Bigger Image

119745.jpg

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
When modeling the sinking one needs to select a given point in time. That will define such things as which lifeboats were away, which were swung out at boat deck level Vs. A deck, etc., also the trim angle of the ship at that time and well as the list angle of the ship which shifted from starboard to port during the period. Another point that needs to be considered is the center of floatation where current waterline intersected the original waterline (a little ahead of funnel No. 4) to get an accurate picture of the overall situation.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

That render is not made historically accurate, it just fitted me the best to fill out the 3D scene that way during that specific render
Okay, fair enough. But on the other hand, since you're doing this sort of project, shouldn't accuracy be a top priority for the reasons Sam has pointed out?​

Apr 27, 2007
Ofcourse it should, but unlike alot of the people here, if not all, I don't posses the same knowledge about everything related to Titanic to keep everything as it should, even though I am a fan of the ship itself, I do ofcourse want to model and render everything 100% accurate and will one day to since there are many changes left to be made.

As of now I need renders for the sake of saving them as work to show, historically correct or not, my intentions are not to make it wrong for you to notice it hehe, I will take a closer look at the placements of everything next time ;)

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Emil, you do very nice work. The points I made above were intended to identify some of the considerations that would go into an historically correct rendition should you decide to go for it one day. I have no problem with what you have done so far, and you clearly explained the purpose of your work. Best of luck in getting into that 3D/Visual effects school you applied to. Also glad to be of help if I can.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Emil,

My comments weren't meant to be harsh, I was only concurring with Sam's points. As I've already stated, your work is terrific and I know that you aren't as knowledgeable as the rest of us are here, so it was only constructive. You said it yourself "it's a huge work in progress..."

All the best with getting accepted into the school you applied to and if I can assist in anyway as well, I'd be glad to.

Apr 27, 2007
A big thanks to you both, and no, you weren't harsh at all, I really appreciate constructive help etc. but like many times I express myself a bit wrong at times in my posts hehe =)

I do however have some questions, about the funnels in particular, do you guys have any good pictures of them? I do think there are more "pipes" on the sides etc. on the last 3 funnels, if you do have some good reference images I would appreciate it
happy.gif

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 31, 2005
Emil, fantastic work. Like Sam and Jason, if I can be of any assistance regarding this project, please let me know and I would be more than glad to help.

Kind regards,
Tad

Feb 7, 2005
I want to echo everyone's admiration of your work, Emil. You are obviously very talented. If these are your preliminary "sketches" of Titanic, I can't wait to see the final versions!

Don't hesitate to ask questions about the ship. There's nothing ET members like more than to answer questions about Titanic (and just about every other ship, too). I see in the posts above that you've already gotten offers of help from some very knowledgeable people when it comes to anything Titanic--be sure to take advantage of it!

Denise