3D Titanic Wreck

May 11, 2004
Hello again!

It's been a while since i posted anything in the forum so now it's about time!:)
For a while now, I've been working on a highly detailed 3D model of the wreck of Titanic.
If any of you out there have any good drawings or pictures of the wreck, that really would help a lot!;-)
You can e-mail me at [email protected]

As usual I will post renderings as I go along....

Take care!

Christian

May 11, 2004
Here we go....

This is the first rendering...
I don't go in to any detail in the beginning....just a basic model without any textures or shaders.
Thank God for Ken Marshall and his wonderful paintings of the Titanic wreck!:)
Without them this would be an impossible task!

95611.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
May 11, 2004
Hi again!

Here comes another rendering.
Now I have increased the level of detail a bit.
I've decided not to texture the model until its ready.
But I'm going to use bump maps and maps for controlling opacity of objects on the model.

Regards,
Christian

95622.jpg

Tripp Carter

Dec 13, 1998
Christian those renders are nothing short of spectacular! At first glance I thought you were making an actual real life model of the wreck. I would certainly love to learn how to use a program like 3D Studio Max to do 3D models, but as mentioned in another thread I'm without a computer until at least August. Keep up the amazing work! Ps. You may want to consider doing any interior sometime in the future ;)

-Tripp

Reactions: 1 user

Thomas Balle

Dec 30, 2004
wow it looks so real!

i don't know how to make such things..

as someone said earlier, you should try to make some of the rooms inside the ship as they look today. :D

Tom Lear

Aug 22, 2003
Are you using Brazil to render? And are those rusticles Shag or something else?

Too much of the original plating is still visible; try increasing your bumpmap strength to obscure it. Is your diffuse map procedural or a bitmap?

T

Thomas Wadsworth

(Copy of what was sent to your email)
Hi,
I was looking at your renders. Well done, I know it takes a long time but its sooo gratifying in the end.

Anyway. I know that you will want to fly over the titanic when finished, I have a solution
happy.gif
I am in the process of making 'Alvin' (the submersible the that went on the wreck first).
96358.jpg

Trying to make a high detail model. At the moment you can go inside it and look through the portholes and see whats out there. It still needs allot more work. But I was wondering if you wanted the 3ds/Max model when done. Only on one condition, I could possibly have rendered shots of my baby on the wreck. It would look absolutely amazing having the sub shining its lights of the wreck
happy.gif
Well let me know if you want it. It will be good to see my little sub on such an amazing HD rendering :D

Tom

T

Thomas Wadsworth

96369.jpg

Heres another render shot. As like you to save render time I have no material ids on anything. I still have to add the rear ballast float, frames, lights, cameras, Robotic arms(which is being made in another max (fullyworking)) and other little finikety things. Just for a laugh I Put a photo of the actual interior of alvin inside using the UVW map (bad job, but fun), you can actually look through the viewports
happy.gif
I don't think I will concentrating on the interior as much as the exterior though. Maybe one day.

M

Matt Pereira

Im very very impressed with the Titanic wreck model. I was thinking about getting this cad software from bestbuy i saw when i went to get an updated spyware shield software. I was wondering would the cad software allow me to make models like these or will only the 3D Studio Max software work the best?

Also how much money could i be looking at to get the Studio Max software?