3rd class cabins

Aug 17, 2006
Hello. I have a few questions about Titanic's 3rd class cabins. If anyone knows the answers to any of them, I'd be glad to hear your replies! Here goes:

Does anyone know how the 3rd class cabins were arranged?
How many people were in one room?
Were there single beds or did couples sleep in one bed, or children in one bed?
Did families share rooms with other families?

If anyone knows anything related to this topic that I did not mention in my questions, please reply.

Thank you.

ADRIANNE

Y

Yurisingleton

Adrianne,

The 3rd class cabins consisted mainly of single person bunk beds with curtains for privacy. These small cabins could sleep upto 4 persons. Men stayed in the forward compartments of the ship, women and children nearer the stern. Because the 3rd class cabins were deep below in the ship's hull casing, access was limited from one section to another and was only possible by a few passagways that could be closed off using watertight doors or gates. In fact, the 3rd class dining room was divided into two seperate compartments by a bulkhead with no direct way of moving between them without going up one deck and then down again.
Some 3rd class families were allowed to bunk together.
It is thought that this labrynth of passageways and stairs was a contributing factor in the excessive number of deaths among the 3rd class passengers. Causing many to become dissoriented as to which way to go to reach the lifeboats.
Husbands and brothers in the forward sections seeing the water and rushing aft to find their wives and children. Then attempting to gather their belongings and find access to the boat deck, which was never intended to be used by the 3rd class passengers under normal circumstances.
Add the possibility of crewmen blocking their way with gates or instructions to "Go back" and , well it must have been chaos to the end.

Hope this helps.
Yuri Singleton

R

Rolf Vonk

Hello Yuri,

You told that the 3rd class dining room was divided into two separated compartments by a bulkhead with no direct way of moving between them directly. That's not true. There were two watertight doors between the third class diningrooms. One of them on the starboard side and the other on the portside. That's logic, because when there were no doors between these sections, the diningroomstewards had to take the meal up and down again. That's not very practical. The food would be cold before it reached the passengers.
In fact the third class area was a labyrinth, but it was clearly separated into different areas. I'm sure the third class passengers knewed their way in these sections. Every third class passenger had to go to the dining three times a day. So they all had been in the long passageway "Scotland road" on E-deck. From these passageway it wasn't difficult to reach al the third class areas. I'm sure al the passengers knewed the way to the stern and the bow. The problem was the fact that most third class passengers were feared to get up to the boat deck after the collision. Some stewards (steward Hart a.o.) discovered that after the collision the doors to the big first and second class staircases were open. They tried to tell the third class passengers to go up to the boat deck through these staircases. Most of them refused, because they were afraid to get lost in unknown area's of the ship (check the story of third class passenger Mrs. Minnie Coutts). So most of the passengers followed the big group that run to the stern. At the stern they weren't allowed to go up to the boat deck. Another thing is the fact that a very big part of the third class passengers were foreign. I'm sure some didn't understand what the stewards are trying to make clear. However, after an hour both first and second class staircases were closed for the third class passengers. From that moment they could only go up the decks via other staircases or the stern.

This was a short addition to your story.

Greetings, Rollie