3rd Class Room

Lars Noorman

Aug 7, 2008
Hi all!

I need to know something about a third class cabin. Everywhere on the internet are pictures from a cabin showing the beds and the washbasin.
Here's the link: http://members.aol.com/WakkoW5/3rdcab.jpg

Does anyone know more about this cabin? Which number has it ( example F10, G3 )

Thanx for your time,
Greetings
Lars

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Lars, there were many cabins just like that in the after part of the 3rd Class accommodation spread over several decks. They were intended for single women and families. The cabins up forward were for single men and didn't have washbasins. 3rd Class cabins, incidentally, had numbers but not a preceding deck letter.

Nov 1, 2008
Unfortunately, the above link is no longer valid, as you get a screen saying that AOL shut down Hometown permanently as of Friday Oct. 31.
sad.gif

And I really wanted to see that picture.

Nov 1, 2008
Thanks, Bob. I have several of the more illustrated books on order, but they aren't here yet.
happy.gif
Most of the books I currently have are strictly text with only a couple of pictures. I am going to have to go back and order the Illustrated History after I have been listening to the historical commentary on the Anniversary DVD.
happy.gif

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The 1st and 2nd Class cabin numbers start afresh from No 1 on each deck. The 3rd Class cabin numbers form a continuous sequence without the preceding deck letters. If there's no other reason, at least it avoids confusion on the deck plans because no two rooms have exactly the same letter/number combination! But some of the cabins in 3rd Class did have the deck letter/number combination because they were in sections intended for use by either 3rd or 2nd Class according to demand. Independently of the deck lettering system, the 3rd Class quarters were also organised into 'sections', indicated on the deck plans by large capital letters (eg at the after end of E deck were 3rd Class sections Q, M and K.)

Feb 21, 2013
Lloret de Mar, Gerona (Spain)
Yeah now that I think about it, numbering with deck letters would have been really confusing. There were three separated sections of Third Class Cabins on G Deck, for example, and they required separated stairwells to access them, thus making linear numbering not useful. I located the various sections on the plan. Thanks!