48 Years On

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
It is the 48th anniversary of the Andrea Doria sinking after colliding with the Stockholm, some fifty miles off the coast of Nantucket shortly after 11 pm on the night of July 25, 1956. The Stockholm cut through the Andrea Doria like a knife, but remarkably she stayed afloat for ten hours, before sinking just after 10 am the next morning. Over 1,000 lives were saved, but approximately 50 people lost their lives that night.

Lest we forget.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Let's think for a moment of

Agnese Baratta
Margherita Baratta
Laura Bremmerman
Jeanette Carlin
Margaret Carola
Camille Cianfarra
Joan Cianfarra (child)
Giuseppe Cirincione
Rosalia Cirincione
Christina Covina
Giuseppi DeGrandi
Lucia DeGrandi
Sister Theresa Del Gaudio
Angelina Diana
Biaggio Diana (child)
Victoria Diana (child)
Maria Di Luzio
Concetta Di Michele
Norma Di Sandro (child)
Josephine Ferraro
Angelina Gonzales
Sister Marie Grechi
Julia Grego
Antoinette Guzzi
Giuseppe Guzzi
Amelia Iazetta
Marie Imbellone
Alf Johannson
Carl Jonasson
Anita Leoni
Karl Osterberg
Domenico Palmieri
Francesca Palmieri
Martha Peterson
Giovanina Russo (Child)
Maria Russo
Michael Russo
Vincenza Russo (child)
Anna Maria Sergio (child)
Domenica Sergio (child)
Giuseppe Sergio (child)
Maria Sergio
Rocco Sergio (child)
Sune Steen
Michelina Suozzi
Evert Svensson
Ferdinand Thieriot
Frances Thieriot
Carl Watres
Rose Zumbo
Vincenzo Zumbo

and Mrs and Miss Armstrong of Wynne Oklahoma who appear on some lists but not on others.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Thanks, Jim, for taking the trouble to post that. As with Titanic and many others, it is sobering to think how close Andrea Doria came to avoiding disaster.

I get the feeling that sometimes, with all our debating one maritime tragedy or other, we slightly lose sight of the waste of human lives. I mean no disrespect by that, please understand, but listing each victim by name is sobering.

As pretty as she was, Andrea Doria was only a thing. When we debate whose fault her sinking was, we can sometimes lose sight of the reality. Saying some fifty people lost their lives is one thing, listing them by name adds a whole new and very sad dimension to the debate.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Thank you, Matthew. What I never really considered until I typed that out, is that that so many of the victims were women and children.

Can add "Paul Anderson" to that list. He is on the list in Desperate Hours, but not on my other two lists. I do not know his story, or how he happened to die aboard AD, since virtually all of the male fatalities other than heart attack victim Carl Watres, were married men who died with their spouses, or children who died with their parent(s). In one case, Camille Cianfarra, the wife survived 'though the husband died, but there are only two cases where the opposite was true, and neither (Peterson/Carlin) has any relationship to Paul Anderson.

Mar 28, 2002
Afternoon Jim,

Do the names include those that were killed on board the Stockholm? That may account for "Anderson".

I got to know of the story of the Andrea Doria through William Hoffer's Saved!. The story of the Sergio family is indeed tragic and their passport photo is very haunting, knowing that they all died together. The manner in which little Norma di Sandro died too, so close to safety and then being fatally injured in the lifeboat. Linda Morgan's survival is pretty miraculous, a passenger on the AD only to end up in the wreckage of the Stockholm when the two ships pulled apart. Didn't her mother, step-father and half-sister all die in the collision? I haven't read the book in a long while.

The story of the AD is one of the first I read and I'll always remember it.

Cheers,

Boz

Mar 28, 2002
Afternoon again,

According to www.andreadoria.org Paul Anderson was a passenger on the Stockholm.

Also Linda Morgan's mother was injured but not killed in the collision. Her husband and 8-year old daughter did die however.

According to the above web-site (run by a survivor), 3 Andrea Doria survivors have died this year, all in a two-week period:

Isa Santana, then 34, an AD First Class Passenger, died 23.4.04. Her story: http://www.andreadoria.org/Recollections/Santana/Default.htm

George A Boswell, then 54, a Stockholm passenger, died 21.4.04.

Eufemia Garzone Chiaradia, then 24, in AD's Tourist Class, died on 3.5.04.

A complete passenger and crew list for the AD and Stockholm is also available from the above site.

Cheers,

Boz

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the taking the time to list the victims. I agree with Matthew, it really does put the disaster in perspective.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>As with Titanic and many others, it is sobering to think how close Andrea Doria came to avoiding disaster.<<

It might have helped if the people on the bridges of these ships weren't making some assumptions about what the other guy was going to do. It's not for nothing that the Andrea Doria/Stockholm event is referred to sarcastically as "History's First Radar Assisted Collision" by mariners as both vessels had each other on their radar screens long befor they came close to each other.

If anyone wants to read a short but very well written summary of this event, you can't go wrong in getting a copy of Collisions And Their Causes" (2cnd Edition) by Captain Richard A. Cahill. I got my copy at the Maine Maritime Acadamy where it's used as a textbook.

>>I get the feeling that sometimes, with all our debating one maritime tragedy or other, we slightly lose sight of the waste of human lives.<<

True. As much as I'm interested in the forensics issues of shipping casualties, listing the names of the victims and telling their stories puts a very human face on the event that would otherwise be lost. I think they should go hand in hand as even as the names tell the human story, the forensics tells us that in most cases, the accident shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
The story which, for want of a better term, haunts me is that of the women who occupied cabin A-230: Amelia Iazetta; Christina Covina, and Margaret Carola. Margaret Carola and Christina Covina were travelling together with Miss Carola's terminally ill mother who would have occupied the fourth berth in the cabin but was in such a bad state that she was assigned to sick bay for the entire voyage and survived, to die of cancer soon after the disaster. Amelia Iazetta's husband, Benvenuto, was in a cabin further aft and after the collison went to A-230 and discovered the door jammed. He and a crewman attempted to force it open, but were unable to and, as water began to rise in the corridor the crewman persuaded Iazetta to accompany him to the upper decks. A rescue party was dispatched to A-230, and Benvenuto Iazetta was sent to the lifeboats- but the rescue party never made it to the cabin, and it was never established whether or not the women were killed in the collision, injured, or still alive as A deck submerged later in the sinking. If A-230's layout matched that of A-230 on Cristoforo Colombo then, horrible to contemplate, the women were still alive for at least 2 hours after the collision because A-230 on C.C. was located off a side hallway at the edge of the collision point (the occupants of the cabin across the hall WERE definitely killed) and was positioned in such a way that if the door survived the cabin behind it survived as well.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Regarding the Linda Morgan incident- somewhat less miraculous is that Mrs. Jeanette Carlin was also carried out of the Andrea Doria and survived for a time- Linda heard her crying when she regained consciousness, but she died before the Stockholm crew could reach her.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
My Father's cousin happened to be one of the passengers aboard the Andrea Doria when the accident with the Stockholm happened.The name of my Father's cousin is Nicola Grammatica and while aboard the Andrea Doria he traveled in Tourist Class and he did survive the Andrea Doria disaster.It is to bad that I can't write anything else about Nicola Grammatica's ordeal aboard the Andrea Doria because he died in December,1975 of cancer and I did not know that he was aboard the Andrea Doria at the time of the accident until after he died.I found out that he was aboard the Andrea Doria when I saw the lifejacket from the Andrea Doria hanging on the basement wall around June,1976 and I asked his oldest son whom I was good friends with at that time and is my second cousin about the lifejacket and he told me that his father was aboard the Andrea Doria at the time of the accident with the Stockholm.It is my guess that Nicola Grammatica never talked about it probably because the ordeal aboard the Andrea Doria would just bring back very scary memories.