51st Anniversary approaches

Apr 27, 2005
How much of the ship is remaining intact? Little of the decks, excepting bow and stern, I suppose. I read of the ship appearing today as a "scooped out melon". I gather that gravity and corrosion have conspired to break the bow free, directing the prow toward the ocean floor.
DOes anyone know for certain?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I think the last full scale representation of how far the ship had collapsed was done by Ken Marschall. The superstructure is pretty much gone. By all accounts, the Andrea Doria is one of the noisiest wrecks on the sea floor because of the way her decay is accelerating. If the hull hasn't collapsed, it can't be that far away.

Were David Bright still with us, he might be able to tell us more. Unfortunately, his dive on the wreck last year cost him his life.

Apr 27, 2005
Today is "Andrea Doria" day. Take a brief moment to remember those hapless souls who were taken 270 feet to the bottom of the Atlantic, along with the ship that carried them.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
This message comes from survivor, Pierette Simpson

Dear friends of the Andrea Doria,

I find this to be a very bittersweet day as I think back to July 26, 1956--- the greatest sea rescue in peacetime history and the sinking of our beautiful liner. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

You can learn more about the ship on her website
www.pierettesimpson.com

Mike