600 killed in ferry tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2002
Up to 600 people have been killed in Bangladesh's latest ferry disaster. The MV Nasrin-2 ran into trouble after hitting turbulent waters as it approached a terminal in Chandpur. 1000 passengers were packed onto the overcrowded ferry on it's journey from Dhaka to Bhola district. 150 survived.

Jun 4, 2000
What makes it worse is the context, 'self regulation' in an environment where there's a consistency of disregard for safety. I was just reading a very critical article that stated an official ban on ferries operating at night (put in place after a number of fatal accidents) was withdrawn in April, following protests by the ferry operators. In return, the ferry operators apparently undertook to observe safety regulations and not operate in poor weather conditions.

I don't know what the weather conditions were like, but several descriptions of this tragedy I've read so far describe the ferry as 'over crowded' by passengers and 'over loaded' by cargo. To add to the chill, the same reports state most passengers were turning in for the night or already asleep.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Gawd! Another ferry down and run by the usual suspects! I wish could say I was surprised by this, but I'm not. So long as these people continue to overload these craft and operate them in all conditions no matter how bad, these things will continue to happen.

G

Gavin Murphy

I am going back there in Nov. However, no ferry trips planned! Overloading these vessels in a country of 130 million people with a poor infrastructure in not uncommon. Part of my work there is to help reform the country. It is a challenge.........but a wonderful country with wonderful people!

G

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
How awful, another ferry tragedy. I'm not surprised by it either, as it's occurred too many times.

As Michael said as long these ferries are filled way over the maximum, it will keep happening.
Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

A

Alex McLean

Apparently the death toll has risen, as many missing have been pronounced dead. Any news on this?
Deepest regrets,
Alex

Mar 28, 2002
According to Sky News, the number of missing is still 600 and only 18 bodies have been recovered, most of them miles downstream. About 200 were rescued or managed to swim ashore.

The wreck of the ferry is still missing, thought to be under 200 feet of water in the River Meghna. The disaster scene is at the confluence of three rivers, creating a whirlpool effect and it was this whirlpool which sucked the ferry under water.

In May 2002, another 450 people were killed in a similar ferry disaster at exactly the same spot.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The only update I caught was on the CargoLaw website. They indicated in an update that as many as 1000 people may have been aboard and that so far, 220 people have been rescued.

They just never learn.

I wouldn't get on a ferry in that part of the world for all the gold in Fort Knox!

Status
Not open for further replies.