6th Officer Moody's body

S

Sarah E. Houtby

I've been wondering, was James Paul Moody's body ever recovered? (by recovered I mean actually identified as being his body).

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Sarah -

Neither James Moody's body nor any of the bodies of the senior deck officers who perished were recovered/identified.

He is commemorated with an inscription on his mother's headstone, however.

Regards,

Inger

S

Sarah E. Houtby

Thanks Inger I thought as much, I personally hadn't read that it had been recovered, but I thought someone might have read an obscure reference somewhere.

By the way, I just want to say that all the people here are really great, it's nice to be amongst to many well informed, well educated people. It's also great that there aren't any stupid questions, they're all relevant, on topic and not...stupid.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
No problem, Sarah - and welcome aboard. Of course, I'm always rather partial to people with a particular interest in the senior deck crew. Delighted to see that you're working on a new website which looks like it will have a focus on the Titanic's officers - I'll be checking back often
happy.gif

Mauro Zungri

Nov 2, 2004
Hello! I am Mauro of Argentina and asked if somebody save something of Moody and its passage for Buenos Aires before 1912 Thanks! and they excuse by my inlges
MAURO

Samuel Liu

Dec 10, 2005
hey all,
did any of u feel grief when u read that officer Moody didn't survive? i think he did his full duty and deserved to survive.
Forward funnel falls down and crushes him.RUMORS.
he is now Resting In Peace.

God Bless 6th officer Moody

Reactions: Toma

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I don't think there are any rumours contemporary with the disaster that suggest that Moody was crushed by the funnel, Samuel...that's part of more recent speculation.

And yes, I am am sorry he didn't survive...as I'm sorry that almost one and a half thousand other lives ended abruptly that night.

NORMAN MURPHY

Apr 8, 2010
Hi Inger

I am trying to find out stuff about Moody. Do you know the identity of the baby he gave to Violet Jessop.
Regards Norm

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Norm - there's been some discussion on the subject, but there's too many variables to say for certain (starting with the assumption that it *was* Moody whom Jessop was referring to when she wrote of "young Mason").

A

Ada J

Not the only case james moodys name was identify wrong
Newspaper called moody melopy moolopy an surviving officer how wrong were they
a young officer is at question either lowe or moody was the one that handed the infant into the boat she did mention a fresh young tired face

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I've never come across "Melopy" or "Moolopy" among the errors, Ada - what I have seen are "Melloody" and "Pelloody" (the latter clearly a result of a misreading of his signature 'J P Moody" - he ran the "P" slightly into a curl on the "M", so it does look like "Pelloody").

Jessop didn't say he had a "fresh" face - she referred to the man's youthfulness and that he seemed tired. I am inclined to believe it *was* Moody, and have written articles including the description (with a caveat), but we can't be absolutely certain it was him.

Moody is commemorated at St Augustines through a brass altar set, Michael (one day I'll upload photos!), also through two memorial plaques in Scarborough and an inscription on his mother's headstone.

NORMAN MURPHY

Apr 8, 2010
Hi Inger

Thanks for info on Moody baby. I live in SCarborough and would love to find out where Moody lived when he lived in Scarborough have you any ideas.

Regards Norm

A

Ada Johnstone

Sorry Inger, could not remember how to spell the wrong typos which the newspaper created,you're wrong spellings are correct, which I meant to spell in the first place.

We shall never know for sure Inger,if it was Moody or not.

A

Ada Johnstone

Micheal,Inger-
Does not local boys/men from Scarborough have a race cup name after James Moody? I'm not confedant,but correct?

Bruce Moody

Feb 8, 2018
I've been wondering, was James Paul Moody's body ever recovered? (by recovered I mean actually identified as being his body).
JP's body was never recovered, although that didn't stop the White Star Line from writing the family asking for money to recover and return the remains! (see attached letter) The family had a gravestone put up in Dean Road Cemetery in Scarborough in memory.

CJ Moody letter.jpg CJ Moody letter 2.jpg
CJ Moody letter.jpg
CJ Moody letter 2.jpg

Athlen

Apr 14, 2012
Bruce Moody, are you a relative of Titanic's Sixth Officer? It's not a common name -- and I find it fascinating that the internet has allowed many relatives of people involved in the Titanic disaster to make their stories known. We have lost something now that there are no living survivors, but there are still many people whose family histories involve Titanic. This forum, especially, can help those people fill in gaps in their stories.

I do think that letter from White Star is rather cold. They could afford a ship costing 1.5 million 1912 pounds, but when asked to help a family bring James Moody's remains transported from Halifax (if they had found them) to England, they couldn't spare the cost. (At least, I've just learned, the crew were paid for the time they spent away from home.) It must have taken quite some gall to demand £20 (£2000 in today's money is a conservative estimate) and to offer a photograph as alternative compensation for having a family member buried on the other side of the ocean. Perhaps I can see why White Star need not have covered funeral expenses, but, as a shipping company, they at least could have paid for the repatriation of remains.

I feel like Bruce Ismay should have been chastised for allowing his company -- to which he literally owed his life -- to behave this way, instead of his bbeing pilloried for taking an empty seat in a lifeboat.